• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions from a non-Baha'i

Terry Sampson

A week or so ago, in a "General Religious Debate" thread, a Baha'i stated the following words in a context that I believe is not relevant to my questions below. The words stated were: "Despite having access to good quality English translations of the Quran which we would both agree is the inerrant Word of God, ..."

My questions:
  1. Does orthodox Baha'i doctrine teach that the Qur'an "is the inerrant Word of God"?
  2. Are there official or unofficial, generally recognizable/recognized degrees of Baha'i orthodoxy? I.e. Is there a spectrum or range of Baha'i orthodoxy: from very liberal to very conservative/fundamentalist/orthodox?
  3. What do those who believe that the Qur'an is the inerrant Word of God say about the standard canon of Jewish Scriptures? and about the standard canon of Christian Scriptures?

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
A week or so ago, in a "General Religious Debate" thread, a Baha'i stated the following words in a context that I believe is not relevant to my question. The words stated were: "Despite having access to good quality English translations of the Quran which we would both agree is the inerrant Word of God, ..."

Hi Terry,

Thanks for you interest in what the Baha’i Faith teaches and asking questions.

My questions:
  1. Does orthodox Baha'i doctrine teach that the Qur'an "is the inerrant Word of God"?

The most relevant reference to support this statement is a statement from Shoghi Effendi, authorised interpreter of the Baha’i writings. He describes the Quran as the authenticated repository of the word of God.

Bahá'í Reference Library - A Compilation on Scholarship, Page 27

Are there official or unofficial, generally recognizable/recognized degrees of Baha'i orthodoxy? I.e. Is there a spectrum or range of Baha'i orthodoxy: from very liberal to very conservative/fundamentalist/orthodox?

The Baha’i Faith has as its supreme governing body the Universal House of Justice who all Baha’is should turn to guidance in resolving differences of opinion in regards our sacred writings. Baha’is come from all backgrounds so there will be a diversity of opinions as to what the Founder of our faith taught. However we are a unified community freed from the types of schism that has afflicted both Christianity and Islam.

The Universal House of Justice - An official website of the Bahá’í Faith

What do those who believe that the Qur'an is the inerrant Word of God say about the standard canon of Jewish Scriptures? and about the standard canon of Christian Scriptures?

Baha’is believe the Gospels and Torah have been under God’s protection and so contain everything God wished to convey of the Teachings of Jesus and Moses. We don’t view the sacred writings as corrupted as many Muslims do. However we don’t interpret them literally as some Christians do.

This paper is the opinion of one scholar but it captures the diversity of thought amongst Baha’i thinkers in regards the authenticity of the Bible.

A Bahá'í View of the Bible

Hope that helps. Please feel free to ask any questions you wish. We may not agree on everything but I’m sure we can amicably agree to disagree on some things.

Kind Regards
Adrian

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I might add that the scripture of ancient religions was written in the context of the times, and have temporal context. The inerrancy of scriptures is in the eternal truths that form the thread passing through all religions.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you Terry, I see Adrian has given a good explanation.

My thoughts from my understanding are that is important to know what we each look for in all these books. If we are searching scripture looking for God and as to live a life of virtues in service to all. Then each word can be examined to find that potential within us.

If we use them in a less humble and God forbid, selfish way, then all that is not of God can be found.

Regards Tony