• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions for people who practice Hinduism

Ari._

If you don't practice Hinduism, feel free to keep scrolling!
Hi, my name is Ari, and I'm wondering if you could answer some basic questions about Hinduism for me. Thank you!

1. Are you vegetarian?

2. How long have you been practicing Hinduism?

3. What gods do you worship?

4. What texts have you read?

5. Do you meditate as part of your religion?

6. Do you personally believe in Karma?

7. Do you personally believe in Dharma?

8. What is your Dharma?

9. How do you worship your gods?

10. Do you follow Ahimsa?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
1. Yes
2. Many lifetimes
3. Shiva, Ganesha, and Murugan primarily, but others too.
4. Tirumanthiram translation of, Upanishads, Tiruvacagam, Tirukkural
5. Yes.
6. Yes
7. yes
8. Which dharma do you mean? Svadharma?
9. Daily home puja, weekly temple attendance, festivals, pilgrimage. (Complicated question, hard to ell what you mean.)
10. As much as possible under today's circumstances.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
  1. Are you vegetarian?: No. Most people in my community are non-vegetarians (Kashmiri Brahmins).
  2. How long have you been practicing Hinduism?: Since birth.
  3. What gods do you worship?: I do not worship any God or Goddess. I am a 'Brahmavadi'.
  4. What texts have you read?: Many including all the important ones.
  5. Do you meditate as part of your religion?: I used to, but I do not need meditation now. I have already got my answers.
  6. Do you personally believe in Karma?: Karma in this life, yes. I will probably get what I sow. I do not believe in reincarnation.
  7. Do you personally believe in Dharma?: Yes, absolutely.
  8. What is your Dharma?: Fulfilling my duties (to family, society and nation) and engaging in righteous actions.
  9. How do you worship your gods?: As I said, I do not.
  10. Do you follow Ahimsa?: I do to some extent. Faced with enemies, I will not practice 'Ahimsa'. I do not believe in 'Ahimsa' in food as the books say 'Jeevo jeevasya bhojanam' (one life form is food for another).

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
  1. Yes
  2. Not certain. My worldview hasn't changed since I can remember, and someone on another forum a while back told me that my worldview aligned with Hinduism. It wasn't until I started reading more about Hinduism that I saw the parallel. Even then I didn't identify as such out of concern those that practice might be offended if I labelled my self a Hindu. I've labeled myself as such for maybe a couple of years now.
  3. None, though I do have a Nataraja statue where I meditate and another on my dresser
  4. The Upanishads and through chapter 4 of the Bhagavad Gita
  5. Yes
  6. Believe? No. Understand? Yes.
  7. Believe? No. Live by? Yes.
  8. To do my best to live in accordance with Ṛta.
  9. I have no personal Gods.
  10. Yes

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you don't practice Hinduism, feel free to keep scrolling!
Hi, my name is Ari, and I'm wondering if you could answer some basic questions about Hinduism for me. Thank you!
Welcome to RF, Ari. I invite you to post an intro on the new members' thread and tell us something about yourself. :)
Have some dhal and a chapati, in the mean time:
iu

1. Are you vegetarian? Yes.

2. How long have you been practicing Hinduism? Don't "practice," but have identified as such since '68 or '69.

3. What gods do you worship? None, at present.

4. What texts have you read? Lots. I've read the Upanishads and Gita more than the many other 'Hindu' writings, though.

5. Do you meditate as part of your religion? Used to, but not currently.

6. Do you personally believe in Karma? Not in the way it's usually depicted in popular Hinduism.

7. Do you personally believe in Dharma? To an extent, but there's been no research I'm aware of on this subject, so I'm deferring judgement.

8. What is your Dharma? You'll have to clarify this. It could be a pretty broad subject.

9. How do you worship your gods? I haven't currently created any gods.

10. Do you follow Ahimsa? As best I can.

Last edited:

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!

1. Are you vegetarian? No, but I know that I should be.

2. How long have you been practicing Hinduism? I'm not entirely sure. I was interested in it for a long time before I began actually practicing, so I don't know exactly when I started. Let's say five or six years.

3. What gods do you worship? I'm a Shakta, so I worship Devi in her various forms. Most often, it's Durga, Kali, Lakshmi, and Saraswati, though sometimes I worship her other forms, too.

4. What texts have you read? The Devi Gita and the Chandi Path.

5. Do you meditate as part of your religion? Not at the moment. I have a hard time with it, so I'm taking a break from it right now.

6. Do you personally believe in Karma? Yes, absolutely.

7. Do you personally believe in Dharma? Yes, but I don't feel like I understand it completely yet.

8. What is your Dharma? I...have no idea.

9. How do you worship your gods? Daily pujas.

10. Do you follow Ahimsa? I try to, but I know I could do better.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How long have you been practicing Hinduism?: Since birth.
Kindly note that although I have always been a Hindu, my views have changed from theism to atheism and 'advaita' (non-duality). Buddha has influenced me greatly.
But then, is he not an avatara for Hindus?