• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions for Lakshmi worshippers

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
If you say devotees worshipping Lakshmi as Maa/Mother do so because she is God the creator and preserver or represents something else in the universe then there would be any point in discussing it. The question I ask is what does a devotee want from Lakshmi? Why worship Her? From my childhood I have been under the impression that she is a goddess that brings good fortune. She is also the cosort of Vishnu. It is therefore unlike worshipping Sri Krishna because devotees of Sri Krishna revere Him for the guidance He gives on how to live one's life as the God who clarifies what dharma is.

I don't worship MahaLakshmi to get anything. Certainly she has given me many gifts (of both a tangible and intangible nature) and much insight. However, It seems like overkill to ask her for anything when she already knows what I need. It sounds a bit like you think very little of MaaLakshmi, Shantanu ji. ;) It's no worry though. One of her most admirable qualities is that she is impossible to upset and not the jealous type. She has a wealth of grace. ;)

Shantanu

I don't worship MahaLakshmi to get anything. Certainly she has given me many gifts (of both a tangible and intangible nature) and much insight. However, It seems like overkill to ask her for anything when she already knows what I need. It sounds a bit like you think very little of MaaLakshmi, Shantanu ji. ;) It's no worry though. One of her most admirable qualities is that she is impossible to upset and not the jealous type. She has a wealth of grace. ;)
I think it is very nice for someone to worship Maa Lakshmi, if they think highly of her. I have nothing against her. I am a Hindu who appreciates that people have different temperaments and spiritual needs. It is silly to criticise anyone for their beliefs and who their chosen deity for worship is. I am just saying that she represents something that people want. In India they say 'Shubh Labh', that is there is spiritual value in businessmens' profits.:)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've only heard the Lakshmi when spoken, though I would image that the pronunciation with the "s" instead of the "sh" sound might be an anglicized variant.

It's more like "luck-shmee", Short a, long e sounds. To get particularly nerdy :p there is a visarga at the end... the ḥ which is a slight aspiration. लक्ष्मी: lakṣmīḥ That's the nominative, vocative "Lakshmi!" would be लक्ष्मी without the visarga.

More nerdiness: Shmi Skywalker, Anakin's mother's name, was derived from Lakshmi.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Our unlettered village brotheren and those whose pronunciation is not like Sanskrit scholars (regional differences), do pronounce it in various ways. The Mother does not mind. :D

Which brings up something I learned recently from Sanskrit speakers, which supports "The Mother does not mind".

Namaḥ with the visarga is not incorrectly pronounced today as na-ma-ha. Visarga is often either completely omitted (kṛṣṇaḥ becomes krishna without the tongue gymnastics of the retroflexes), or pronounced with the final vowel... as in na-ma-ha.