• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions for Christians and co: Witchcraft real?

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
For those of a christian or abrahamic faith...

What do you think witchcraft is meant to be?
Do you think it is real?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
When the bible talks about witchcraft it doesn't mean what modern witches practice. It was basically the equivalent of what modern magicians produce through illusion only for real. Is that possible? Well David Blaine makes me wonder!

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
When the bible talks about witchcraft it doesn't mean what modern witches practice. It was basically the equivalent of what modern magicians produce through illusion only for real. Is that possible? Well David Blaine makes me wonder!

Would you please back up this statement with some proof?
Would you say the magic snake fight that happened in the Pharaoh's palace was an illusion?

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
nazz, what of modern witchcraft though? It is based on practices of old, a means to change the natural world.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
nazz, what of modern witchcraft though? It is based on practices of old, a means to change the natural world.
The way it has been explained to me by witches is that it is not about magic. At least not the kind that modern illusionists pretend to do. Do you disagree?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Do you think it is real?

It is a form of spiritism. It is a means of using the power of the spirits to achieve whatever goal the practicer may have...whether it be a good or bad goal.

I think it is real.

AllanV

Do you think it is real?

1Sa 15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.
King Saul was wanting to make the people feel good and himself too, by taking spoils of war when he wasn't meant to.

When Adam brought sin into the world he also made a rebellious nature that everyone follows to this day.
This nature with its mind gives the ability to place emphasis on words that are heard and then the mind of another person produces feelings in the body with a verbal response.
These mind connections are mostly subconscious and very fast. They are learned from birth and the mind is programed to get its own way.

Actual witchcraft that is seen develops skills to get passed the natural learned defenses everyone has. Everyone is mostly equally empowered but can be compromised if unwell or tired or if too much time is spent listening to the wrong person.
Being educated by an atheist is an example and listening to a preacher who is impure another. These people can lodge things in the subconscious.

The nature of Jesus must be found and this extracts a person out of the kingdom of darkness and into the kingdom of God and immortality is possible. The mind is changed and is not connected in the subconscious interplay of a biological creature.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
The way it has been explained to me by witches is that it is not about magic. At least not the kind that modern illusionists pretend to do. Do you disagree?

The witches I have spoken to and heard explanations from have been pagan witches. They refer to it as magic but not in a supernatural sense. Their consistent message was that witchcraft is a manipulation of energy in order to bring about change in the natural world and that they tools they use help them focus this energy on a specific goal.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
It is a form of spiritism. It is a means of using the power of the spirits to achieve whatever goal the practicer may have...whether it be a good or bad goal.

I think it is real.

What has lead to you to believe it is real? And do you think it is wrong?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
The witches I have spoken to and heard explanations from have been pagan witches. They refer to it as magic but not in a supernatural sense. Their consistent message was that witchcraft is a manipulation of energy in order to bring about change in the natural world and that they tools they use help them focus this energy on a specific goal.
Yes, that is basically what I have been told.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Do you think it is real?

When I google the definition of witchcraft it seems to be defined as a synonym to magic. Whether magic is real or not depends on the context. If you mean supernatural manipulation of forces / energies than I am going to have to go with a no. I have never seen the world impacted in measurable ways purely by supernatural methods of magic. Even when these practices correlate to success the success is due to the individual's real world actions. Magic, as the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with will, certainly does exist, and everyone practices it every day.

Are you saying Moses and the serpent staff was an illusion, or that modern magic is illusion?

So your original answer to the OP cannot hold. The Bible believes that magic is real.

The serpent staff was not magic, god himself did it.

There is new age magic and magic itself, unperverted and untouched. New age magic is likely what we are discussing since you seem to specifically use the term "witchcraft" and friends who call themselves witches. This indeed does take a more literal view of ancient myth when it comes to magic. However, this is certainly not "modern magic", it is neo-revival magic. Modern magic is the process of impacting the objective world according to your (true) will.

This idea of manipulating energy is, itself, supernatural, as energy is either a part of the natural universe or some woo-ey, new age concept identical to "spiritual" or "divine" force. What magic does effect is the mind and, in relation, the world around them. There is no manipulating of mystical energy, just manipulation on the mind and self.

Last edited:

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Magic is not only not some new age woo idea, it is actually a scientific practice. According to the Abrahamic religions, practicing magic probably is indeed wrong, as bringing about your own change, even your own salvation, eliminates the need for God and his rules.

Last edited:

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Magic is not only not some new age woo idea, it is actually a scientific practice. According to the Abrahamic religions, practicing magic probably is indeed wrong, as bringing about your own change, even your own salvation, eliminates the need for God and his rules.

Scientific practice? As in studied by science? Or methodological?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I have no way of verifying if such an event even happened
That isn't the point. The narrative is in the Bible, so it's either 'real' magic, or an illusion, or we don't know. If you are saying these are illusions, then scripture should back your statement.