• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions/Doubts/Unclear about Non-dualistic school of Vedanta (Advaita)? PLEASE HELP!!

Hello ALL,

I am coming back to RF after a long time. I have a few questions on my way to get an understanding of Advaita Vedanta. I was explaining this philosophy to a friend of mine who was very skeptical about Hinduism even though born in a Hindu family. Please I request the top advaitin scholars/followers to answer the following questions:

1) What is consciousness? My understanding is that IT is that truly exists! Nothing else other than consciousness exists!! Please elaborate.

2) How do you explain Shiva, Vishnu, Lord Krishna's virat roop in Gita? Could I get Advaitic perspective on this?

3) How do you explain the sorrow, pain, bad luck vs happiness, fortunes if there is no Karma and reincarnation according to Advaita?

4) Questions regarding Astrology? How come it is able to predict so accurately when all this is illusion?

Will ask more later on and hope this thread becomes valuable and learning experience for all. Thanks!:)

OM
Jagat Mithya Brhman Satya

kaisersose

1) What is consciousness? My understanding is that IT is that truly exists! Nothing else other than consciousness exists!! Please elaborate.

"Prajnanam Brahma" is a Advaita Mahavakya meaning Consciousness is Brahman. Your understanding is correct.

2) How do you explain Shiva, Vishnu, Lord Krishna's virat roop in Gita? Could I get Advaitic perspective on this?

Advaita holds that Brahman is Nirguna or without attributes (including form). However, manifested forms of Brahman (Sadguna Brahman) exist like Shiva, Vishnu, etc.,. They play a role in the material world.

3) How do you explain the sorrow, pain, bad luck vs happiness, fortunes if there is no Karma and reincarnation according to Advaita?

That is not correct. Karma and reincarnation - both are integral parts of Advaita.

4) Questions regarding Astrology? How come it is able to predict so accurately when all this is illusion?

Who said all this is an illusion? This is a common minuderstanding of Advaita.

"Prajnanam Brahma" is a Advaita Mahavakya meaning Consciousness is Brahman. Your understanding is correct.

Advaita holds that Brahman is Nirguna or without attributes (including form). However, manifested forms of Brahman (Sadguna Brahman) exist like Shiva, Vishnu, etc.,. They play a role in the material world.

But material world is illusion. And Ishvara (Sadguna Brahman) is, in an ultimate sense, also described as "false" because Brahman appears as Ishvara only due to the curtain of Maya. When man tries to know the attributeless Brahman with his mind, under the influence of Maya, Brahman becomes the Sadgun Brahman. God's actual form in the transcendental level is the Cosmic Spirit.

That is not correct. Karma and reincarnation - both are integral parts of Advaita.

But at the absolute level, I am never a doer. There is only Sankara's grand singular soul, the Atman, which is forever unchanging and blissful, does not undergo birth or death as he claims, where then is the individual soul which undergoes karmic rebirth?

Who said all this is an illusion? This is a common minuderstanding of Advaita.

Shankara said it that nothing else exists but pure consciousness! All that can be objectified such as body, matter, mind, thoughts etc is an illusion.

kaisersose

But material world is illusion.

To whom?

And Ishvara (Sadguna Brahman) is, in an ultimate sense, also described as "false" because Brahman appears as Ishvara only due to the curtain of Maya. When man tries to know the attributeless Brahman with his mind, under the influence of Maya, Brahman becomes the Sadgun Brahman. God's actual form in the transcendental level is the Cosmic Spirit.

Yes, though even "actual form" is incorrect. Nirguna => without form.

But at the absolute level, I am never a doer. There is only Sankara's grand singular soul, the Atman, which is forever unchanging and blissful, does not undergo birth or death as he claims, where then is the individual soul which undergoes karmic rebirth?

But you are not at the absolute level! In his Brhadaranyaka Bhashya Shankara talks about Vyavaharika Satya (relative truth) and Paramarthika Satya (absolute truth). For the unliberated individual, everything is real, including the world, Karma, Sadguna Brahman, etc. That is Vyavaharika Satya. The Paramarthika Satya is that Brahman alone exists, without duality. But this is not true until the individual is liberated.

Shankara said it that nothing else exists but pure consciousness! All that can be objectified such as body, matter, mind, thoughts etc is an illusion.

See above. Shankara said a lot more than just this and without bringing in all that, this statement is incorrect by itself.

To whom?

Yes, though even "actual form" is incorrect. Nirguna => without form.

But you are not at the absolute level! In his Brhadaranyaka Bhashya Shankara talks about Vyavaharika Satya (relative truth) and Paramarthika Satya (absolute truth). For the unliberated individual, everything is real, including the world, Karma, Sadguna Brahman, etc. That is Vyavaharika Satya. The Paramarthika Satya is that Brahman alone exists, without duality. But this is not true until the individual is liberated.

See above. Shankara said a lot more than just this and without bringing in all that, this statement is incorrect by itself.

I am talking from absolute truth perspective from the starting. Obviously, we perceive the world as real but this is an illusion as per Advaita. So, from an absolute level, all that we currently perceive is false, material universe is false, Karma and reincarnation is false.

kaisersose

I am talking from absolute truth perspective from the starting. Obviously, we perceive the world as real but this is an illusion as per Advaita. So, from an absolute level, all that we currently perceive is false, material universe is false, Karma and reincarnation is false.

If you were always taking about the absolute level, then why the questions on astrology, etc?

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
There is no illusion ,there are only different levels of reality.
Maya (illusion) and reality are the same. How can that be?

Sri Ramana Maharshi: Sankara was criticised for his
views on Maya without being understood. He said that

Brahman is real
The universe is unreal, and
The universe is Brahman.

He did not stop at the second, because the third explains the other two. It signifies that the universe is real if perceived as the Self, and unreal if perceived apart from the Self. Hence Maya and reality are one and the same.

Maya

These are the mahavakyas :Brahman Satyam (Brahman is true)

Jagat Mithyam (Universe is untrue)

sarvam khalv idam brahmn(Everything is Brahman)

Mahavakya

Last edited by a moderator:

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
I know this is off topic, and out of place, but Advaita sounds alot like Zen.
No there are differences in practice ,Sri Gaudapada(guru of Sankara) was influenced by Buddhism at his time.Upanishads predates the birth of Buddha ,so it may correct to say that they were mutually influenced by each other.
Advaitins are called Prachna-Bouddhas(hidden buddhists) by other sects for a reason...;)