• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions & Answers About Islam

kai

ragamuffin
oh i forgot to ask TT you have changed your avatar was that Ahmed Ismail Yassin in your previous one ?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
gracie said:
hmm.... ok, thank you, TT. much appreciated!

You are most welcome dear gracie, anytime. :)

kai said:
oh i forgot to ask TT you have changed your avatar was that Ahmed Ismail Yassin in your previous one ?

You can PM me about that, kai. :p

We don't want to hijack the thread with personal issues, don't you agree with me?

kai

ragamuffin
The Truth said:
You are most welcome dear gracie, anytime. :)

You can PM me about that, kai. :p

We don't want to hijack the thread with personal issues, don't you agree with me?
OK i agree

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Snowbear said:
TT - do you consider yourself a scholar of Islam?

Not even close. I'm just a normal Muslim and servant of God, trying my best to be a good Muslim. That's all. :)

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
The Truth said:
Not even close. I'm just a normal Muslim and servant of God, trying my best to be a good Muslim. That's all. :)
Which scholar do you consult when prividing authoritative answers on these forums?

nature

Greetings Gracie,

Common Muslims can talk about Islam in their words. They can give a general idea about Islam. But the scholars are different from common people because they talk about Islam in the light of the Qura'n and Sunnah. Allah described the dignified station of the scholars in the following verse,
"Say: Are those who know equal to those who know not?"
Scholars' answers to the questions of the people are actually the gist of the vast studies over the Qura'n and Ahadith.
Gracie, you have to know that the one who looks for the truth is different from the one who just wants to criticize. The one who looks for the truth usually wants the answers for his questions from the scholars not from common people but the one who just wants to criticize usually concentrate on asking about the minor things and leave the core of the subject.

May Allah guide you to the right path.

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
A muslim who is sound in knowledge of deen may speak about a subject in thier own words. There is no need to quote from a specific book all the time. However, if a muslim is aked a question about which he has little or no information, it will be his duty to consult either widely accepted reliable books written by scholars, or consult a scholar in the flesh. A muslim should never ever answer a question about Islam without the correct knowledge on a subject. It is unimportant what I think a verse of Quran means, or what I think a hadith means. It is only important what it actually means versus what I think and my personal opinion.

ayani

nature said:
Allah described the dignified station of the scholars in the following verse,

"Say: Are those who know equal to those who know not?"​

and this passage is taken to relate to scholars? were there in fact any scholars of Islam or the Quran in Mohammed's time?

May Allah guide you to the right path.

thank you, nature. i trust that He does, may His name be blessed.​

Mujahid Mohammed

Snowbear said:
Why does Islam on the one hand say the Bible is corrupted and changed, then on the other hand picks and chooses bits and pieces in an attempt to validate Mohammed and discredit Jesus' divinity?
There is some truth in the bible. But because of the influence of the Unknown scribes and church edicts. The original meaning and context is lost due to everyone's personal interpretation.

Why do Muslims say they 'accept Jesus,' yet reject His purpose and the core of His Message?
You have no way of validating his message. Because of all the contradictions the testimony becomes invalid as a true witness.

Where in the Quran and Hadiths do some Muslims find justification for killing innocent people in the name of Allah?
There is no justification for it. But this is the problem with Muslims today they interpret the Quran according to their own personal desires and beliefs without taking it in the context of the Messenger and his followers because they unlike us obeyed the Messenger in everything. Whereas nowadays many will pick and choose.

Surah Baqarah verse 190 was the first verse revealed in Medina about the Physical Jihad (the fighting jihad). It is clear do not transgress the limits. The Messenger pbu put stipulations on the Companions. They cannot fight women and children, the slave who works the field, and non combatants. No burning down of tree of the civilians or their homes. You can only fight those who have driven you from your homes and oppressed you. Then more verses about Jihad came as more things happened between the Muslims and the Kuffar of Mecca. All the verses are taken together. When it says kill them where you find them it means kill those who fall outside of the category of what was stipulated above. You cannot transgress that for Allah will judge them on it. And if they go outside of the boundaries of the limits perscribed they are accountable. And will be given the due justice on the Day of Judgment.

ayani

Mujahid Mohammed said:
When it says kill them where you find them it means kill those who fall outside of the category of what was stipulated above.

so in this verse is Allah allowing Muslims to kill even non-combattants?

isn't it kind of inevitable that someone should take this passage 'out of context' as use it as a present-day excuse to murder?

AbuQuteiba

gracie said:
so in this verse is Allah allowing Muslims to kill even non-combattants?

isn't it kind of inevitable that someone should take this passage 'out of context' as use it as a present-day excuse to murder?

No. Thats why we have the Sunna (correct hadeeth). The Prophet's actions and sayings explain the Qur'an. There is no reason for someone to take the verses of the Qur'an out of context, unless they do it on purpose. Which is the case, when it comes down to "muslim" terrorists.

ayani

ok. so the sunna is needed to understand the historical context of such passages.

but wouldn't it have made more sense if Allah had planned ahead for people picking and choosing out of the Quran, and made things clear without the Hadith?

nature

Greetings Gracie,
You wrote:
were there in fact any scholars of Islam or the Quran in Mohammed's time?

Comment:
At the time of the prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), the prophet was the first scholar who used to teach the Qura'n and his Sunnah. He ordered the companions to teach the Qura'n and his Sunnah to absentees. The Prophet says: "Pass on knowledge from me even if it is only one verse."
Certain companions wrote down ahadith during the life of the Prophet and in some cases the Prophet dictated them. No doubt, their numbers must have been smaller than those of the later scholars who wrote down ahadith.
The prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) didn't speak of his own desire but Angel Gabriel used to come and dictate to him specific portions of the Qura'n were the repeated by Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) exactly as he had heard them.
Allah says in the Qura'n: "He (Muhammad) doesn't speak of his own desire, it is not less than a recelation sent down to him."

AbuQuteiba

gracie said:
ok. so the sunna is needed to understand the historical context of such passages.

but wouldn't it have made more sense if Allah had planned ahead for people picking and choosing out of the Quran, and made things clear without the Hadith?

People that have (any) motive will take any religious scripture and explain it the way they see fit. Still. I would agree that some people might misinterpret the Qur'an or sunna, if it was indirect. But nowhere in the Qur'an, or the Sunna for that matter, justifies the killing of the innocent. As a matter of fact, in the same verse where it claims to fight the non-believers, it says "Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, BUT BEGIN NOT HOSTILITIES. LO! ALLAH LOVES NOT AGGRESSORS". The Qur'an clearly states, not be hostile. Not to go overboard. Then when you read in the Sunna, you understand how a person becomes hostile. By killing the innocent, women, children, plants, etc. And your question was about the innocent right? So there you have it. Allah did think ahead, for he is all-knowing.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Snowbear said:
Which scholar do you consult when prividing authoritative answers on these forums?

When someone ask me anything in this forum so it depends.

First of all, If i know the answer so i'll just simply answer it but if i don't so it depend in the question itself.

If it's about the Quran, so i'll go and read the Tafseer like Tafseer ibn kahtheer (i have a very big book for Ibn khatheer in my room).

If it's about Hadith, so i must go and read the Sunnah, hadiths, and opnions of various famous early and current scholars of Islam.

If it's about other issues so i can just use some good websites i know to help me to understand it then to deliver the most correct answer in my opnion because there is no clergy in Islam and no one have total authority in Islam where his opnion is correct 100%.

As we have to ask questions if we don't know, so also we have to think of the answer and analyze it because there is no blind following in Islam.

I hope that will answer your question. :)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
gracie said:

This is a very good question gracie (as usual :p )

Hadiths are just things which prophet Mohammed said to his companions and the people who were asking him and the explinations of the Quran as well.

You can't just simply put everything there and send it to people.

There are many reasons for why God didn't put everything in the Quran, that's because we need a teacher in order to understand (in practice) a book. If God just simply sent a book to us so people would say no one can do such a thing, impossible, because they didn't try it out. Also, for instance if God sent an angel asking people to do such a thing, so people would say after the angel go back, we can't do like him, he is an ANGEL.

Therefore, God sent prophet Mohammed as mercy to the whole worlds.

He knew that whatever he do for people, they will ask for more, more and more. God said to prophet Mohammed ..

[153] The People of the Book ask thee to cause a book to descend to them from heaven: indeed they asked Musa for an even greater (miracle), for they said: "Show us Allah in public," but they were dazed for their presumption, by thunder and lightning. Yet they worshipped the calf even after Clear Signs had come to them; even so We forgave them; and gave Musa manifest proofs of authority.

[154] And for their Covenant We raised over them (the towering height) of Mount (Sinai); and (on another occasion) We said: "Enter the gate with humility"; and (once again) We commanded them: "Transgress not in the matter of the Sabbath." And We took from them a solemn Covenant. (Quran 4:153-154)

So, God is telling us that he sent a human being like us to guide us to all the truth.

[128] Now hath come unto you a Messenger from amongst yourselves: it grieves him that ye should perish: ardently anxious is he over you: to the Believers is he most kind and merciful. (Quran 9:128)

Also, another part of this is that God wants to test us, to know who will follow prophet Mohammed and who will deny him.

[143] Thus have We made of you an Ummat justly balanced, that ye might be witnesses over the nations, and the Messenger a witness over yourselves; and we appointed the Qibla to which thou wast used, only to test those who followed the Messenger from those who would turn on their heels (from the Faith). Indeed it was (a change) momentous, except to those guided by Allah. And never would Allah make your faith of no effect. For Allah is to all people most surely full of Kindness, Most Merciful. (Quran 2:143)

That's why God (s.w.t) ordered us to follow prophet Mohammed "peace be upon him" in everything he says to us.

[17] It is for Us to collect it and to promulgate it:

[18] But when We have promulgated it, follow thou its recital (as promulgated):

[19] Nay more, it is for Us to explain it (and make it clear): (Surah 75:17-19)

1- God promised to save Quran and collect it.
2- He ordered us to follow it.
3- God promised that he will explain it for us.

- Who will be in charge of explaining the Quran?
Prophet Mohammed.

How we will be able to know how did prophet Mohammed explained it?
Through his teaching in hadiths.

God said in the Quran about Prophet Mohammed:

[2] Your Companion is neither astray nor being misled,

[3] Nor does he say (aught) of (his own) Desire.

[4] It is no less than inspiration sent down to him: (Surah 53:2-4)

God ordered us to just follow prophet Mohammed and to leave what he forbad.

[7] ... So take what the Messenger assigns to you, and deny yourselves that which he withholds from you. And fear Allah; for Allah is strict in Punishment. (Quran 59:7)

This is just what came in my mind right now about this issue and i might come later on to tell you more about it if you think that didn't answer your question yet. :)

Sahar

It's is the plural of RESPECT. It is used to magnify and glorify God.
And this is well-known for arabic speakers, for example when u speake to a king, president or high official, they are addressed in the plural form "you" (plural "you"), "they", "them" and this king or president may refer to himself as "we" in a puplic speech for example.