• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions & Answers About Islam

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Snowbear said:
You said you accept Him as the Messiah.... what do you think that means??

For us the meaning of the Messiah is different than what the jews and christians might believe in.

In arabic the word Messiah have so many meanings and all of it fit to the this name.
The word Messiah comes originally from the word "masaha" which means to clean or to remove, and that because prophet Jesus "peace be upon him" when he was touching and move has hand toward sick people or blind, so he was healing them by the permission of God.

10.25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not; the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.

Read about it in the Quran, 4:157,172,171 and 5:17, 72, 75 also 9:30, 31.

Also, we call him that because God cleaned him from sins. Also, it comes from the word "sahha" which means touring, because he was touring on earth. It has so many meanings but in Islam, it doesn't mean a savior nor even in arabic it means a savior.

His teachings were meant for everyone, not just the Jews of Beny Israel... A large part of Jesus' ministry was to the Gentiles (non-Jews) of the time.

These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them saying,

Go ye not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go ye rather unto The Lost Sheep Of The House Of Israel.

(HOLY BIBLE) Matthew 10:5-6​

Now you may counter this CLEAR verse from the bible by another from the bible itself, which was spoken by others rather than Jesus himself. If you did so, then this means, there is a conflict or misunderstanding between what Jesus "peace be upon him" was telling and teaching and between how people after him understood his teaching. The second thing is that, it will prove that we can't trust what other people say more than putting our full trust and belief in our beloved prophet, Jesus "peace be upon him".

You reject this teaching...

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one comes to the Father but by Me.

It depend in the way you interpret it, right?

I believe that what Jesus Christ meant was that, he is the only way "at that time" to come to God the father and no one can become closer to the father and worship him well except by following what Jesus teach.

I think you won't disagree with me that anyone can interpret it because it's a bit general, don't you think so?

Since this is the question forum and not debate, I'll ask the next question...

Why do Muslims say they accept Jesus as their Messiah (aka Christ, Savior), yet reject the core of His teaching, which is that He is the Way, the Truth and the Life. And that no one comes to the Father (God) but by Him?

We don't believe in him as a savior but rather, a truthful sevant of God because according to Jesus, he was reffering to himself as the son of man but not as the son of God but this might be moot.

Don't you think that the core of Jesus Christ's message was to believe in God, Snowbear?

1. Jn 14:15 If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
  2. Jn 14:21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me
  3. 1 Jn 2:3 And by this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments
  4. 1 Jn 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.
Does the word God in "You shall have no other gods before Me" reffer to God "the father" or reffer to Jesus Christ?

Don't you think that Jesus is asking us to worship God alone and to worship none before him?

"My father and your father, my God and your God" (John 20:17)

[72] They do blaspheme who say: "Allah is Al-Masih the son of Maryam." But said Al-Masih: "O Children of Israel! Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord." Whoever joins other gods with Allah, Allah will forbid him the Garden, and the Fire will be his abode. There will for the wrong-doers be no one to help.(Quran 5:72)

Jesus said: for my Father is greater than I.

If you will keep thinking this is christianity vs. Islam so believe me, you will never find the answer and you will go no where with this, but when you think of it deeply as the so many things we have in common and to the purpose of this life and how should we treat God, you will definitely find your answer. We are praying to the same God.

[31] Say: "If ye do love Allah, follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins; for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

[32] Say: "Obey Allah and His Messenger": but if they turn back, Allah loveth not those who reject Faith. (Quran 3:31-32)

Peace and blessing,

The Truth

:)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
kai said:
TT i understand fully what you say about the bible and its versions but can you explain this

The Qu'ranic revelations were originally memorised by Muslims as Muhammad spoke them, with some being written down on whatever was to hand, from stones to pieces of bark. Compilations of the Qu'ran began under the Caliph Omar, but it was Uthman who decided upon a definitive copy and destoryed all other versions. The Qu'ran has never changed in substance since. It provides Muslims with a complete way of living their lives. It has been called the most beautiful book in Arabic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qur%27an

So? i didn't get what do you mean?

Quran was completed before prophet Mohammed "peace be upon him" passed away and most of his companions memorized it. They were so poor and have no real paper as we have now. Later on the companions collected everything in one book and in the same order as prophet Mohammed ordered them to do so.

kai

ragamuffin
The Truth said:
So? i didn't get what do you mean?

Quran was completed before prophet Mohammed "peace be upon him" passed away and most of his companions memorized it. They were so poor and have no real paper as we have now. Later on the companions collected everything in one book and in the same order as prophet Mohammed ordered them to do so.

The Qu'ranic revelations were originally memorized by Muslims as Muhammad spoke them, with some being written down on whatever was to hand, from stones to pieces of bark. Compilations of the Qu'ran began under the Caliph Omar, but it was Uthman who decided upon a definitive copy and destroyed all other versions. The Qu'ran has never changed in substance since. It provides Muslims with a complete way of living their lives. It has been called the most beautiful book in Arabic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qur'an

this infers it hasnt changed since uthman who decided upon a definitive copy and destroyed all other versions.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
The Truth said:
For us the meaning of the Messiah is different than what the jews and christians might believe in.
How convenient ~ All you have to do is change and twist the meaning from it's original intent so you can make it agree with the Quran!
The Truth said:
It depend in the way you interpret it, right?
Of course it does.... taking the verses out of context is the easiest and most common way to make the phrases say pretty much anything you want them to ;)
The Truth said:
I believe that what Jesus Christ meant was that, he is the only way "at that time" to come to God the father and no one can become closer to the father and worship him well except by following what Jesus teach.
Just as you believe Mohammed's message applied to the people of the time as well as those who came after, Christians believe that Jesus' Message applies to us now.
The Truth said:
I think you won't disagree with me that anyone can interpret it because it's a bit general, don't you think so?
General in that it applies to everyone. But again - you need to make the interpretation fit what Muhammed said, so yes, I agree you (or anyone) can interpret it it any way you wish.... that doesn't make it the correct interpretation, but it's something everyone is free to do.
The Truth said:
Don't you think that the core of Jesus Christ's message was to believe in God, Snowbear?
The core of Jesus' message was was love. He loves us infinitely and unconditionally. It's why He came to live among people as a person and allowed Himself to be crucified.

Jesus commandments boiled down to 2.... Love God and love people. Obey those to and the rest are a given, since you're not going to kill someone or bear false witness against them if you truly love them.

What He did by His teachings and sacrifice was to open the door for people who believe in God to actually KNOW God ... both while we're still here and especially in the afterlife.
The Truth said:
Does the word God in "You shall have no other gods before Me" reffer to God "the father" or reffer to Jesus Christ?
Don't you think that Jesus is asking us to worship God alone and to worship none before him?
The word 'gods' in this phrase means anything we hold more important than God Himself.... this not only includes other gods or icons, but money, the world, people, even religion! If you put the pursuit of money or religion or your wife or whatever, you are putting that 'god' before God.

As you know, most Christians believe Jesus is 'God with us' - God in human form. Yes, I do understand this contradicts what your religion teaches you... but that does not change what the Bible tells us.
The Truth said:
We are praying to the same God.
Actually, the more you try to convince me of this by trying to refute what I KNOW to be the Word of God, the more I'm seeing that this is not the case at all.

The God I pray to is loving and forgiving and expects the same of me. He tells me not only to love my friends, but to love my enemies - unlike your Allah, who demands that you kill those you perceive to have wronged you (Quran sura 9).

The Word of my God tells me that salvation is by faith in His Grace and cannot be 'earned' by works, lest anyone should boast. Just practicing the rituals and following the rules of a religion are not sufficient to earn salvation.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
kai said:
this infers it hasnt changed since uthman who decided upon a definitive copy and destroyed all other versions.

[9] We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption). (Quran 15:9)

First of all, God promised to save it.

Secondly, read in the Quran ...

[100] The vanguard (of Islam), the first of those who forsook (their homes) and of those who gave them aid, and (also) those who follow them in (all) good deeds, well-pleased is Allah with them, as are they with Him: for them Hath He prepared Gardens under which rivers flow, to dwell therein forever: that is the supreme Felicity. (Surah 9)

Those men collected the Quran. Those faithful men after the death of prophet Mohammed, those whom God said they will go to heaven even before they die. 10 persons God said that they will go to heaven even before they die. Those people decided to collect the Quran in a book after it was only memorized.

Lastly but not least, we can debate about that with non-stop and i have debated this topic you are referring at in many threads and i might gave you later on the links for it because i don't want to repeat the same things all over and over again.

Remeber that we have in here a bullet proof that can settle all these doubt with one single verse, kai.

[82] Do they not consider the Qur-an (with care)? Had it been from other than Allah, they would surely have found therein much discrepancy. (Quran 4:82)

Therefore, if there is no discrepancy in any place in the Quran so it's surly was revealed by God alone because once human beings try to add, delete or modify the word of God so they will surely miss it up and you will find discrepancy and contradictions in it for sure.

Now, if you still have doubt about it just point any discrepancy or contradictions in the Quran.

I assure you, you will find none. It's the pure word of God. :)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Snowbear said:
How convenient ~ All you have to do is change and twist the meaning from it's original intent so you can make it agree with the Quran!

So you think i'm lying at you?

I just told you what the great scholars of Islam said about the word Messiah and it's up to you whether to accept it or not. It's just from an islamic perspective and i brought nothing from my mind.

The core of Jesus' message was was love. He loves us infinitely and unconditionally. It's why He came to live among people as a person and allowed Himself to be crucified.

So if someone worshipped an idol and believe in the love of this message so it's ok?

The word 'gods' in this phrase means anything we hold more important than God Himself.... this not only includes other gods or icons, but money, the world, people, even religion! If you put the pursuit of money or religion or your wife or whatever, you are putting that 'god' before God.

But you didn't answer me, when God said You shall have no other gods before Me, is that verse reffer to God "the father" or to Jesus Christ telling people not to have other gods before him?

Actually, the more you try to convince me of this by trying to refute what I KNOW to be the Word of God, the more I'm seeing that this is not the case at all.

You are free to believe in what you want and it's the same case with me and as you noticed i didn't argue about most of the things you said about the bible because you know your faith more than me.

[6] To you be your Way, and to me mine. (Quran 109:6)

The God I pray to is loving and forgiving and expects the same of me. He tells me not only to love my friends, but to love my enemies - unlike your Allah, who demands that you kill those you perceive to have wronged you (Quran sura 9).

Which verse?

The Word of my God tells me that salvation is by faith in His Grace and cannot be 'earned' by works, lest anyone should boast. Just practicing the rituals and following the rules of a religion are not sufficient to earn salvation.

I agree with you, we only will enter heaven by the mercy of God and how much we practice, if God didn't have a mercy on us so we won't enter to heaven.

On the other hand, it's not fair to set back and do all kinds of sin and do no good but just saying i accept Jesus then to get a direct free ticket to heaven, don't you think so?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
PETER CONTRADICTS JESUS (PBUH) REGARDING HIMSELF AS IF THE ONLY WAY:"

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life. no man cometh unto the father but by me. JOHN 14:6 Contradicted by: "Then Peter opened his mouth . . . But IN EVERY NATION he that feareth him (God), and works righteousness, IS ACCEPTED with him (God)." ACTS 10:34-35

What do you think?

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
The Truth said:
What do you think?
I think you don't know as much about the Bible as you think you do.

I think that what your religion teaches you about the Bible and Jesus is false.

I think that it's silly that you keep telling us how much the Bible is changed and corrupted, yet you keep spouting misinterpreted verses from it in an attempt to validate Muhammed while discrediting Christian belief.

I think that your religion considers it blasphemy against Muhammed and/or Allah to admit that maybe Mohammed's interpretation of Christian and Jewish Scriptures was lacking. To get around this, you (and the ever exalted scholars of course) need to twist and creatively interpret the Biblical scriptures so that they will 'fit' what Mohammed said about them.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Snowbear said:

Of course i have to admit it, you know better than me because you are a christian. :)

I think that it's silly that you keep telling us how much the Bible is changed and corrupted, yet you keep spouting misinterpreted verses from it in an attempt to validate Muhammed while discrediting Christian belief.

I think that your religion considers it blasphemy against Muhammed and/or Allah to admit that maybe Mohammed's interpretation of Christian and Jewish Scriptures was lacking. To get around this, you (and the ever exalted scholars of course) need to twist and creatively interpret the Biblical scriptures so that they will 'fit' what Mohammed said about them.

This is what you think but i don't need to prove my religion through the bible nor the scholars did. It's just because you brought that up, that's why i was answering you from your own book. If you don't like it i can say it to you again but from the Quran.

I don't know why you are attacking me now instead of simply explaining to me this verse:

"Then Peter opened his mouth . . . But IN EVERY NATION he that feareth him (God), and works righteousness, IS ACCEPTED with him (God)." ACTS 10:34-35.

Instead of saying that the teaching of my religion is false, etc, just clam down and discuss it with me. That's all. :)

AbuQuteiba

Snowbear said:

Hehe, its funny. In all the (major, televised) debates between Christians and Muslims concerning the Bible, the Christians always say what you say, one way or another. They say that we're twisting and interpreting (because our interprataions of the very SIMPLE Bible in front of us is different from theirs), when really you are the one's twisting and creatively interpreting. PLEASE. Either you CAN defend your Bible, or you cannot. Don't accuse us of what you, and your so called "Bible scholars", cannot defend. No offense, btw. I mean do disrespect. I would just rather you, and other Christians, AND MUSLIMS for that matter, defend what they believe in with proof, rather than with accusations that mean nothing.

Please Snowbear. Don't have it your heart that we just like to debate for the sake of debating. This is what we're seeing, and understanding when reading the Bible. If we are wrong, don't accuse of us twisting the verses, because we are'nt really "twisting" or misinterpreting anything, we're giving you the verses of the Bible PLAINLY, and we're asking you to interpret them for us. But why is it our problem if you lack the capability to do so?

(Btw, never did the Prophet (PBUH), or his companions do what we're doing with you and the Bible. We, modern day muslims, are using this method because we've read through the Bible, and believe we can.)

Peace

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
champion said:
Hehe, its funny. In all the (major, televised) debates between Christians and Muslims concerning the Bible, the Christians always say what you say, one way or another....
Hmmm... Seems that maybe they (and I) have reason for pointing this out then, eh ;)

TT - I've been trying to discuss, but you just automatically dismiss whatever I say, telling me how wrong my beliefs are, throwing in the usual red herrings and straw men, then telling me what you (and Islam) think the Bible says.

As I said earlier ~ Thank you for sharing your perspective.... it actually made my earlier points quite nicely :D

With that, I'm moving on.... see you in the next thread...

nature

Greetings gracie,
You wrote:
nature, are you writing these answers out yourself, or are you cutting and pasting? and if so, from where? just curious.

Comment:
Answering the questions about religion is not like answering any question. If you ask me about cooking or any other activities, I'll answer out myself. But religion is from our God (Allah) and He sent us His messengers to show us the way we should worship Him. Allah wants man to believe in Him as He wishes, not as man wishes to believe. That is why He sent the Prophets as messengers to guide man in the right direction, to show him the right path. After the death of the prophets, the scholars are responsible for indicating the way of the prophets. So, the answers about Islam are taken from authentic sources written by the scholars. It is only the scholars who can derive rulings from Shriah and give legal verdicts. Hence we are commanded by Allah to have recourse to the pious scholars of religion.

Allah says, " So ask of those who know the Scripture if you know not." [16: 43]

So, my role is writing the answers about Islam from authentic sources. I have tried many times to write the link of the source at the end of the answers but I receive a message saying that I cant till I have 15 posts.

I hope this satisfies your curiosity.

AbuQuteiba

Snowbear said:
Hmmm... Seems that maybe they (and I) have reason for pointing this out then, eh ;)

TT - I've been trying to discuss, but you just automatically dismiss whatever I say, telling me how wrong my beliefs are, throwing in the usual red herrings and straw men, then telling me what you (and Islam) think the Bible says.

As I said earlier ~ Thank you for sharing your perspective.... it actually made my earlier points quite nicely :D

Yeah of course, we do this all the time :rolleyes:. We're dismissing what you say by quoting the Bible, how original.

I'm sure it did, to you. As did your posts make our points;) .

Bye. Try not to make the same mistakes there.

kai

ragamuffin
The Truth said:
[9] We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption). (Quran 15:9)

First of all, God promised to save it.

Secondly, read in the Quran ...

[100] The vanguard (of Islam), the first of those who forsook (their homes) and of those who gave them aid, and (also) those who follow them in (all) good deeds, well-pleased is Allah with them, as are they with Him: for them Hath He prepared Gardens under which rivers flow, to dwell therein forever: that is the supreme Felicity. (Surah 9)

Those men collected the Quran. Those faithful men after the death of prophet Mohammed, those whom God said they will go to heaven even before they die. 10 persons God said that they will go to heaven even before they die. Those people decided to collect the Quran in a book after it was only memorized.

Lastly but not least, we can debate about that with non-stop and i have debated this topic you are referring at in many threads and i might gave you later on the links for it because i don't want to repeat the same things all over and over again.

Remeber that we have in here a bullet proof that can settle all these doubt with one single verse, kai.

[82] Do they not consider the Qur-an (with care)? Had it been from other than Allah, they would surely have found therein much discrepancy. (Quran 4:82)

Therefore, if there is no discrepancy in any place in the Quran so it's surly was revealed by God alone because once human beings try to add, delete or modify the word of God so they will surely miss it up and you will find discrepancy and contradictions in it for sure.

Now, if you still have doubt about it just point any discrepancy or contradictions in the Quran.

I assure you, you will find none. It's the pure word of God. :)

thank you TT for the quotqtions from the quran and telling me about no discrepancy in the Quran but what i want to know is ......... did Uthman decide upon a definitive copy and destroy all other versions?

Uthman is perhaps best known for forming the committee which compiled the basic text of the Qur'an as it exists today. Various Muslim centers, like Kufa and Damascus, had begun to develop their own traditions for reciting and writing down the Qur'an. Uthman feared that the nascent Islamic empire would fall apart in religious controversy if everyone did not have access to the original text of Qur'an. Sometime during the end of his reign, the committee compiled the text. Uthman had it copied and sent copies to each of the Muslim cities and garrison towns, commanding that variant versions of the Qur'an be destroyed, and only the original version used.

source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uthman

ayani

nature. thanks for the reply.

so are you saying you would not feel comfortable trying to explain an islamic point of view in your own words? is it a general practice for muslims to refer directly to texts when asked a question about islam?

ayani

also, can you explain to me how does a muslim know which "scholars" are saying truthful things? or interpreting the main writings of islam in a correct way?

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
champion said:
(Btw, never did the Prophet (PBUH), or his companions do what we're doing with you and the Bible. We, modern day muslims, are using this method because we've read through the Bible, and believe we can.)

Peace

Indeed. :)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Snowbear said:
TT - I've been trying to discuss, but you just automatically dismiss whatever I say, telling me how wrong my beliefs are,

I didn't say Snowbear, you are wrong and stop being christian. Please don't put words in my mouth, i was just asking and discussing and whether your belief is right or wrong to you, it's up to you.

then telling me what you (and Islam) think the Bible says.

I never said Islam said ..., only me, from my own understanding i was discussing with you based on my understanding for the bible (which i have a copy of it in my room BTW).

As I said earlier ~ Thank you for sharing your perspective.

You are most welcome. :)

... it actually made my earlier points quite nicely :D

I doubt it. ;)

See you. :)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
kai said:
did Uthman decide upon a definitive copy and destroy all other versions?

Uthman is perhaps best known for forming the committee which compiled the basic text of the Qur'an as it exists today. Various Muslim centers, like Kufa and Damascus, had begun to develop their own traditions for reciting and writing down the Qur'an. Uthman feared that the nascent Islamic empire would fall apart in religious controversy if everyone did not have access to the original text of Qur'an. Sometime during the end of his reign, the committee compiled the text. Uthman had it copied and sent copies to each of the Muslim cities and garrison towns, commanding that variant versions of the Qur'an be destroyed, and only the original version used.

There was no other versions, as you know arabic is a rich language and some tribes was reading the Quran according to their slang and the islamic state was expanding so he feared that the non-arabs muslims will be confused about that so even though others were right as well but he decided to have only one version which all can read in the same way.

For more information about it you can read these links.

http://www.islamonline.net/English/introducingislam/Quran/article03.shtml

http://www.islaam.com/Article.aspx?id=38

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
gracie said:
is it a general practice for muslims to refer directly to texts when asked a question about islam?

Most of muslims tend to go back and read the right information before coming forward and speak about it because there is no guessing and assumptions in islam without knowledge. If one have the knowledge so he/she can talk freely about it but if he/she has no enough information so he/she should use the correct information from a good source.

You know well that sometimes guessing and talking in the name of Islam without knowledge might mislead some people if they didn't get the correct information.

gracie said:
also, can you explain to me how does a muslim know which "scholars" are saying truthful things? or interpreting the main writings of islam in a correct way?

OK, i'll tell you somthing important about this and it will be good for you to know it in case someone (a muslim or non-muslim) tried to coonvince you of somthing in Islam.

Usually the one who write or interpret must be aware of the knowledge of the Quran and the Sunnah and in order for him to answer any question or to issue any fatwa, make sure when you read that to see his proofs from the Quran and Sunnah, and also the saying of the early truthful scholars of Islam, then finally, the saying of the current scholars whom everybody know that they are real scholars and knowledgable.

There are many methods and these are some of it. :)