• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions and thoughts on Zen practice.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Believing in other intelligent beings beyond the human sphere of existence is perfectly acceptable and within the range of Buddhist beliefs, as long as one views these entities with the proper insight of dukkha, anicca, and anatta.
Its a defilement. Beliefs muck up any clarity royally.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It all depends on how you view it. If it becomes a hindrance, I would say it's time to drop it. If it helps spur one in their practice, then there would be no issue with it. Buddhism is about practice, not beliefs, and there's certainly room in Buddhism for the veneration of ancestor spirits. I would ask, though, to ask yourself why you wish to hold this idea. Once you answer that question, and analyze it in light of the Dharma, then you'll have your answer.
It's true enough that Buddhism can be practiced with baggage in tow. Eventually, some wall-less wall appears leaving one to wonder about the gate-less gate.

When I first arrived, God just jumped over the wall on a lark, while I entered the gate. Haven't found him since. The dude just dissapeared.

von bek

Its a defilement. Beliefs muck up any clarity royally.

Maybe so. But, in terms of whether there are gods (with a small "g") or not, the best Buddhist answer is, who cares... chop wood and carry water. There is no prerequisite for accepting deities, or for denying them. As long as dukkha, anicca, and anatta are kept in mind, believing in nature spirits or more powerful gods causes no more problems than believing in horses, planets, and skyscrapers do.