• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about the Roman Catholic Church

Scott1

For those of you out there who have an interest in learning about the Roman Catholic Church.... here's a thread for you!

I will try my best to answer any questions put to me, but remember, THIS IS NOT A DEBATE FORUM. If you need me to clarify a reply, I'll be happy to do so.... if you want to debate a certain subject discussed, please start a new thread in a debate forum.

Peace,
Scott

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I like this! As you know, my wife and I are new to the Catholic religion. What is the history of the Rosary? How often should you pray the Rosary?

Scott1

jgallandt said:
I like this! As you know, my wife and I are new to the Catholic religion. What is the history of the Rosary? How often should you pray the Rosary?
I'm glad you like it! Welcome HOME to you and your family.. if I have not yet said so.

History of the Rosary

You should pray the Rosary as often as you can.... daily is the standard.

I'm not sure how much you know about the Rosary or if you've even said a Rosary prayer.... if you need more info, you can check here: Pray the rosary!

I carry a Rosary with me at all times... any down time I have, I grab it and say a few Hail Mary's....... some days I'll say a few hundred...... I would say start with a daily Rosary... if it's too much, you should shorten the amount of Hail Mary's between the mysteries... the most important part of the prayer is to meditate on the Mysteries, so don't let anything get in the way of that.

Any other questions.... let me know.

Remember: The family that prays together, stays together!

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
I know my Hail Mary's now :) but i have problems with the meditating on the Mysteries, there seems so much going on around these what with the Glory Be and the Our Father's. Do i have to pause while i meditate, or is it done while you say the Our Father? And the Bro at our Church gave us a Rosary with only 43 Hail Mary beads, when i noticed most have 53, and im really lost on this one lol, do you just do the 43 or count around another 10 ;) Sorry to bombard you with so many questions at once, and Thank You for any advice given. Blessings Rebecca

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
The Rosary I'm trying to learn. My wife is doing better then me. I spend alot of time driving. Need to put some time aside. Thank You! more questions to come.

Scott1

Rebecca said:
I know my Hail Mary's now :) but i have problems with the meditating on the Mysteries, there seems so much going on around these what with the Glory Be and the Our Father's.
Yes... that happens quite a bit for everyone.... prayer takes practice like anything else we do.
Do i have to pause while i meditate, or is it done while you say the Our Father?
The meditations should be contemplated during the ENTIRE decade of Hail Mary's.... hehe... now I'm making things harder for you :eek: .... it's intense, it's difficult.... but when your mind blocks everything out and you can recite the Hail Mary... every word becomes a symphony... and all the while your mind will reach out towards the mystery... this is true meditation... a way to experience the Divine that will change your life.
And the Bro at our Church gave us a Rosary with only 43 Hail Mary beads, when i noticed most have 53, and im really lost on this one lol, do you just do the 43 or count around another 10 ;)
Now I'm confused.... a Rosary should have at least 50.
rosary.jpg

Pray your Rosary any way you'd like.... you don't need the beads.... it's just a device to help.... but I love using them.

Fast... slow..... do the whole thing... say just one Hail Mary between mysteries... skip around.... do what you feel comfortable with..... just keep working towards doing it "right"..... http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2074

May the Mother of God guide you.

Scott

Scott1

jgallandt said:
The Rosary I'm trying to learn. My wife is doing better then me. I spend alot of time driving. Need to put some time aside. Thank You! more questions to come.
Keep on praying! It will come to you with time.

Looking forward to more of your questions.

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
Thank You Scott, I carry to Rosary with me always too, i have a credit card size one, that i keep in my purse, i need to try and pray it daily too, but with 3 children that are home schooled not much time in a day (ill try harder to make the time) And I got the meditating too, and now know what is expected. Many Blessings To You Rebecca

jimbob

The Celt
i don't have a full size rosary that i carry around (i keep mine at home so i don't lose them)but i have a really nifty little decade ring that was my grandma's (before she died) that i keep in my wallet. I like to pray the rosary when im really frustrated because it helps me focus of God instead of my own problems. This therefore helps me be more appreciative blessings in my life.

Fluffy

A fool
Okay I have some questions regarding the Pope.

What, exactly, are the powers which the position grants the Pope? Is he allowed to override scripture? Is there any mention in the Bible of the kinds of duties that Popes would be expected to do?

Scott1

Fluffy said:
Okay I have some questions regarding the Pope.
Coooool... thanks Fluffy... I love Papacy questions!:jiggy:
What, exactly, are are the powers which the position grants the Pope?
The first distinction I'd like to make is that the Pope is a Bishop... the Bishop of Rome. The classifications of Archbishiop/Cardinal etc are functionary titles.... they are ALL Bishops.

The Pope, Bishop of Rome and Peter's successor, "is the perpetual and visible source and foundation of the unity both of the bishops and of the whole company of the faithful." "For the Roman Pontiff, by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ, and as pastor of the entire Church has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered."

The Roman Primacy is not an invention of the popes, but an essential element of ecclesial unity that goes back to the Lord and was developed faithfully in the nascent Church.
One of my favorite Catholic theologians puts in best:
"The men in question (Popes) are so glaringly, so blatantly unequal to this function (the Papacy) that the very empowerment of man to be the rock makes evident how little it is they who sustain the Church but God alone who does so, who does so more in spite of men than through them."
Is he allowed to override scripture?
Never.
Is there any mention in the Bible of the kinds of duties that Popes would be expected to do?
A few;)
http://www.scripturecatholic.com/primacy_of_peter.html

Peace be with you,
Scott

chuckles1028

I believe that mary brings the utmost amount of comfort to a person who is distressed. Thats why I do the rosary. Do you agree with that?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Is it standard or required that members of the Catholic church take up a patron saint? What's the process of getting a patron saint? And while I'm stuck on the saint questions, what's your favorite saint and what's a good place to read about all the saints? :)

Scott1

chuckles1028 said:
I believe that mary brings the utmost amount of comfort to a person who is distressed. Thats why I do the rosary. Do you agree with that?
Sure... to each his own.

Scott1

Jensa said:
Is it standard or required that members of the Catholic church take up a patron saint?
No.
What's the process of getting a patron saint?
Most people just pick one they "like".... my nephews were named after Saints Anthony and Dominck, so they kinda have "born in" Patrons!
And while I'm stuck on the saint questions, what's your favorite saint and what's a good place to read about all the saints? :)
I have an affinity for Saint Benedict.... and St. Thoman Acquinas.

www.catholic.org has a good section on saints.

Peace to you Jensa

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
As an added note. It is usually customary to choose a saint while doing your confirmation. Mine was St. Dominic in which I named my first boy.

Peace
~Victor

Scott1

Victor said:
As an added note. It is usually customary to choose a saint while doing your confirmation. Mine was St. Dominic in which I named my first boy.
Quite right... I forgot about that... and I didn't pick a Saint.... I chose SOGFPP (Fr. Peyton) who is not a saint... yet.;)