• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions About Me

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm bored and abnormally chatty.

I'm taking any questions.

I do not guarantee coherent answers.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
In what way, if any, has RF broadened your perspective on other people, religions, or cultures?

I've learned a lot about Christianity. Despite living in a Christian culture, I know very little on the religion. Being here has given me the opportunity to learn a bit more on it. I even read a book about the people of the Bible, so I would have a better understanding of who people were referencing.

It also helped heal an uneasiness I had with atheists. At some point in my late 20s/early 30s, I had the unpleasant experience of being bullied by some overzealous atheists in an ongoing situation. Finding so many kind and interesting atheists here helped me get over that, and made me understand that I had simply dealt with a group of bullies, and that the vast majority of atheists are fine people.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
do you believe in objective good and evil?

I don't think so. Being as I'm just an average domestic engineer in an average home of average means and holding average intelligence, I don't pretend to know it all, but I think these are mostly human constructs.

That being said, they can be useful constructs, particularly for those who need them as guidelines for what to partake in, and what to avoid. However, they can also become dangerous when one takes their own guidelines and tries to force them on others.

How in the world did you end up with so many cats? How many do you have? Care to share photos?

A few are cats people dumped on me(I once came home to find a cat that didn't belong to me in my living room). A few are ferals or strays that we either caught or they followed us in. A few are from an 'oops' litter. One was a gift to my husband(who was distraught after his favorite was struck by a car).

There are ten; Lucky, Quesa, Yodel, Kore, Cub, Troy, Lamar, Nina, Swatty, and Stupid.

I don't have pictures; my phone doesn't take them. But I have a video(sadly, the gentleman on the porch is no longer with us; he was a stray that stayed outside and he has since disappeared)

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
A few are cats people dumped on me(I once came home to find a cat that didn't belong to me in my living room). A few are ferals or strays that we either caught or they followed us in. A few are from an 'oops' litter. One was a gift to my husband(who was distraught after his favorite was struck by a car).

There are ten; Lucky, Quesa, Yodel, Kore, Cub, Troy, Lamar, Nina, Swatty, and Stupid.

I don't have pictures; my phone doesn't take them. But I have a video(sadly, the gentleman on the porch is no longer with us; he was a stray that stayed outside)

That's an epically crazy feeding time. You guys feed them like chickens :D :p.

How many litter boxes do you guys have to maintain? We have 1 per cat, plus 1.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That's an epically crazy feeding time. You guys feed them like chickens :D :p.

How many litter boxes do you guys have to maintain? We have 1 per cat, plus 1.

There's 7. Most are in the basement, but there's one in the kitchen, as a chunk of these guys are getting up there in years and can't always make it in time.

Yodel will only pee outside. He waits at the door like a dog. I don't know what's up with that, but that's just the way it is. Troy goes outside to pee, too. He got UTIs every few months until we decided to let him out(we had a cat in the past that that helped with, so we tried again). He hasn't had one since, and its been over a year. Stupid goes out... there's no way to keep him in. He was one that followed us home. We tried to keep him in, but the day he hid under the dogs to escape outside(successfully), I just gave up.

Do you know humanism well enough to suggest what can a humanist learn from Hinduism?

I think a humanist might be interested in the concept of dharma. Dharma is hard to translate over to English, but generally speaking, it means upholding one's duty. Each person's dharma differs, based on their temperament, station in life, skills, life stage and capabilities. Dharma should, however, always be done to the best of one's ability. All dharmas are equally important in the grand scheme, and you should perform your dharma not for personal gain, but because it is your duty to do so. Not saying its wrong that you receive personal gain, but that you shouldn't neglect your dharma because you didn't get what you were hoping for.

If you have a cause that you feel called to oversee, you could say performing tasks around that interest would be fulfilling your dharma.

The concept of dharma requires no belief in deities, afterlife, or even karma.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Here I am in a house full of animals and kids...

And do you think any of them want anything to do with me at the moment? Nope.
I catch your drift. I have 8 cats and most of them are sleeping during the day.
But even when they are awake I can get bored and depressed if I don't have people to talk to and now that I am all alone I have to depend upon my RF friends.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I catch your drift. I have 8 cats and most of them are sleeping during the day.
But even when they are awake I can get bored and depressed if I don't have people to talk to and now that I am all alone I have to depend upon my RF friends.

Me too. I have a really high social drive, and few people to talk there out in the real world.

I consider RFians my coworkers. I work around the house, check a post. Clean something up, check a post. Its helped a lot in combating loneliness. I think I might be one of the few people on here that's therapist actually encourages me to use this site, as its had such a positive effect on me.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think a humanist might be interested in the concept of dharma. Dharma is hard to translate over to English, but generally speaking, it means upholding one's duty. Each person's dharma differs, based on their temperament, station in life, skills, life stage and capabilities. Dharma should, however, always be done to the best of one's ability. All dharmas are equally important in the grand scheme, and you should perform your dharma not for personal gain, but because it is your duty to do so. Not saying its wrong that you receive personal gain, but that you shouldn't neglect your dharma because you didn't get what you were hoping for. If you have a cause that you feel called to oversee, you could say performing tasks around that interest would be fulfilling your dharma.

OK, thanks for that. A definition I found on the Internet for dharma is essentially the same: "Hinduism : an individual's duty fulfilled by observance of custom or law."

If I understand this correctly, this would not be a foreign value in humanism, although probably less emphasis on custom. The humanist sees man as the only possible source of improvement in the human condition, and as advocates for maximal human development and maximal societal satisfaction, also advocate for individual self-actualization and constructive action.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
If I understand this correctly, this would not be a foreign value in humanism, although probably less emphasis on custom. The humanist sees man as the only possible source of improvement in the human condition, and as advocates for maximal human development and maximal societal satisfaction, also advocate for individual self-actualization and constructive action.

From an outsider's point of view, it seems there are customs in humanism, too, though perhaps simply secular ones. Unless I'm misunderstanding what a custom is, which is always possible.

But, yes, I think dharma and humanism would be complimentary to each other; they require human-kind do the work of making the world at its best; we don't rely on divinity to do it for us.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Me too. I have a really high social drive, and few people to talk there out in the real world.
Join the crowd. ;) I don't even get out in the real world except when I have to go grocery shopping or run errands. I always go for a long walk in the evening but I walk all alone.
I consider RFians my coworkers. I work around the house, check a post. Clean something up, check a post. Its helped a lot in combating loneliness. I think I might be one of the few people on here that's therapist actually encourages me to use this site, as its had such a positive effect on me.
Same here. I would die of loneliness if I did not have this forum. I check a few posts and write a few posts and then I go and do something around the house or on the deck. In a while, I will go feed and water the raccoons because I can hear them out there chomping at the bit.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Join the crowd. ;) I don't even get out in the real world except when I have to go grocery shopping or run errands. I always go for a long walk in the evening but I walk all alone.

Same here. I would die of loneliness if I did not have this forum. I check a few posts and write a few posts and then I go and do something around the house or on the deck. In a while, I will go feed and water the raccoons because I can hear them out there chomping at the bit.

I go to the Farmer's Market on Tuesdays and take one of my sons to speech and occupational therapy on Mondays, but that's the only regular 'out' I get. Sometimes if my husband's available, we will run errands or take the kids to one of the museums around here, but taking my middle son and toddler out together can be difficult. My middle son often needs an adult to himself, and there's not enough hands to go around. On rare occasion, he'll be really 'level' and I can get them both out of the house and take them somewhere, but its not something I attempt unless I'm sure I can handle it. A meltdown in the wrong time and wrong place with no assistance can be really problematic.

We haven't had as many raccoons this year; I guess they must all be at your house!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I go to the Farmer's Market on Tuesdays and take one of my sons to speech and occupational therapy on Mondays, but that's the only regular 'out' I get. Sometimes if my husband's available, we will run errands or take the kids to one of the museums around here, but taking my middle son and toddler out together can be difficult. My middle son often needs an adult to himself, and there's not enough hands to go around. On rare occasion, he'll be really 'level' and I can get them both out of the house and take them somewhere, but its not something I attempt unless I'm sure I can handle it. A meltdown in the wrong time and wrong place with no assistance can be really problematic.

We haven't had as many raccoons this year; I guess they must all be at your house!
At least you have a husband and kids. :(
Sometimes I turn the TV on just to hear a human voice, but I am a going to turn the TV back on the Music Choice channel because I am getting tired of the commercials, and certain commercials really annoy me.

Yes, the raccoons are all at my house. The other day I counted 23 on my monster deck. No people have ever used that deck since we moved here in 2009, it is only for animals. I discovered that by not feeding the raccoons until after noon, the squirrels can have the deck to themselves in the morning. I love to watch the squirrels on the deck and hanging in the trees and all over my bird-feeders.

I finished my coffee and I am getting hungry, so I guess I will have to go for oatmeal, after I feed and water the racks. Animals always come before people around here.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
At least you have a husband and kids. :(
Sometimes I turn the TV on just to hear a human voice, but I am a going to turn the TV back on the Music Choice channel because I am getting tired of the commercials, and certain commercials really annoy me.

Yes, the raccoons are all at my house. The other day I counted 23 on my monster deck. No people have ever used that deck since we moved here in 2009, it is only for animals. I discovered that by not feeding the raccoons until after noon, the squirrels can have the deck to themselves in the morning. I love to watch the squirrels on the deck and hanging in the trees and all over my bird-feeders.

I finished my coffee and I am getting hungry, so I guess I will have to go for oatmeal, after I feed and water the racks. Animals always come before people around here.

Yes, I consider myself fortunate.

I hear a lot of trains around here... my youngest watches trains on YouTube. Just trains rolling down the tracks... then he imitates the noises when he's playing.

I like how you've found a rotation schedule for the critters!

I hope you enjoy your oatmeal! I made a pack of rice noodles, and worked on the ocean mural on my living room wall since we last spoke. :D