• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about Judaism

Tumah

Veteran Member
goyim means 'Land dweller' , simple word. If religious were honest, they wouldn't be religious, that is the whole point of Religion.
Goy means "nation". Goyim is plural. It shares a root with gwiyah which means a body. Land dweller would be toshav ha'arets.

Magus

Leviticus 19:26 - Thou shalt not practise soothsaying
Micah 5:12 - I will cut off witchcrafts out of thine hand;and thou shalt have no more soothsayers
Leviticus 19:31 “Do not defile yourselves by turning to mediums
Deuteronomy 18:10-14 ' No soothsaying'

. soothsaying
the art or gift of prophecy by supernatural means. fortune telling, foretelling, divination. prophecy, vaticination, prognostication - knowledge of the future

rosends

Israel is a nation state. This is undeniable.
Very true. But identifying it directly with the theological (not political) construct is not practical. It is a modern political entity which, while it has connections (linguistically, label-wise, and even, in some areas, in terms of ideology/religion) to the biblical concept, it is quite different.

DavidFirth

Very true. But identifying it directly with the theological (not political) construct is not practical. It is a modern political entity which, while it has connections (linguistically, label-wise, and even, in some areas, in terms of ideology/religion) to the biblical concept, it is quite different.

Okay, that's fair enough.

Magus

Goy means "nation". Goyim is plural. It shares a root with gwiyah which means a body. Land dweller would be toshav ha'arets.

The word is obviously the product of editing for example 'Tidal king of nations,' ( Gen 14:9 )

γῇ ( גּוֹי gowy )
Greek Word Study Tool

ἔραζε ( אֶרֶץ 'erets )
Greek Word Study Tool

ἵζω ( וֹשָׁב ) ' dwell / sit
καθίζω (תּוֹשָׁב ) ' to take their seats '

Greekbrew

Last edited:

MohammadPali

If god is always on israels side, why is it so secular today ? Did the almighty get blocked from enforcing his rules ? Its a secular society, very liberal compared to orthodox jews.

DavidFirth

Before it's rebuilt it must first be examined why it was destroyed in the first place. If we do not learn from history, we are bound to repeat it.

Well, I would take back the land and clear all non-Jews out of it for about 20 miles. Then I would proceed with rebuilding the Temple. If it were me, that is. Thank God it isn't me.