• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions About Islam, Catholicism, and Morality

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Just wondering if anyone knew...

Does Islam share any stances with Catholicism on morality? If so, what?

idav

Being
Premium Member
One of the major difference is the trinity. The quran says God cannot have a son that he is completely sovereign. Similar to that of Judaism.

They both believe in repentance.
Repentance in Islam - Wikipedia
They also think very highly of Mary.
Mary in Islam - Wikipedia

Another major difference is Islam doesn't have the concept of original sin (also similar to Judaism), people are responsible for their own deeds, and the quran hints that Adam and Eve asked forgiveness and it was granted. Quran also hints that Adam was tempted directly by satan not tempted by Eve.
Original Sin - The Religion of Islam

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I guess specifically I want to ask about the moral neutrality of man. Do they share this in common?

Do they both believe man is morally neutral?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
, with original sin Catholics believe a baby is born stained with sin.
In Catholic theology, this is sort of a tough nut to crack, therefore different Catholic theologians have different takes on exactly what "original sin" is. It is certainly not viewed as a "sin" in the conventional sense of that word., nor is it viewed that a person who is not baptized is automatically going to hell in a hand-basket. Even if they are, I'll take care of them when they arrive.

idav

Being
Premium Member
In Catholic theology, this is sort of a tough nut to crack, therefore different Catholic theologians have different takes on exactly what "original sin" is. It is certainly not viewed as a "sin" in the conventional sense of that word., nor is it viewed that a person who is not baptized is automatically going to hell in a hand-basket. Even if they are, I'll take care of them when they arrive.
To be fair I think the second Vatican likely gets rid of the nonsense of sending babies to hell for being atheists and unbaptized. They sure do get that baby to the waters pretty quickly, 7 days I think it is. IdK I didn't baptize any of my kids. In catechism I was taught we are born with a mark on our soul and baptism washes it away.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
To be fair I think the second Vatican likely gets rid of the nonsense of sending babies to hell for being atheists and unbaptized.
Actually that was never taught-- at least officially. The move towards using more towards infant baptism was done largely during the plagues as there was a question what would happen to a child since it says in Mark that one "needs to believe and be baptized to be saved". So, the issue was really more a question than an answer. So, it was done by most in order to cover the situation just in case, split in two and supplemented by the sacrament of confirmation.

They sure do get that baby to the waters pretty quickly, 7 days I think it is
There's no set time. In my wife's Italian tradition, for example, the baby was not to be taken outside after getting home until the baptism could be performed at the church. We followed that custom, but the number of days it took varied.

In catechism I was taught we are born with a mark on our soul and baptism washes it away.
Ya, that was one teaching.