• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about Evolution?

rojse

RF Addict
Would it also be reasonable to say that if you were creating, you would stick to basic principles of design, adaptation, materials, program etc..with slight tweeks where need be.

Dare I ask what creating has to do with a discussion on evolution?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Would it also be reasonable to say that if you were creating, you would stick to basic principles of design, adaptation, materials, program etc..with slight tweeks where need be.
Windows, linux, dos, leopard, C++... all can be told apart from one another and share no common ancestry.
I would expect Creator to be at least as creative as we humans are... and not so lazy as to create bloatware that would make Microsoft blush.

this may interest some on here
Epigenetics is a very interesting phenomenon... but you will notice the article says nothing about disproving evolution with it.
That is because evolution is quite stable with epigenetic change... indeed phenotypic plasticity has been well known and studied in evolution for a long time. Epigenetics only helps to give a more solid mecchanism behind it.

wa:do

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Well, if you're an all-powerful divine being, you could do that, or the opposite, or anything in between. After all, you're all-powerful and unknowable! That's why science can't study you.

But would you stick non-functioning eyes on a blind fish?

blind_cave_fish1.jpg

Maybe? God's ways are mysterious to us.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Sure... epigenetics is any change in phenotype that is not the result of a change in genotype.
That is, it's a change in appearance that has nothing to do with a change in the DNA.

A good example is fur color in cats.... fur color in cats is primarily determined by factors in the womb of the mother. This was demonstrated with the first cloned cat, who came out a different color than the original.

Different things can cause developmental changes... mostly it involves environmental cues such as chemicals ingested by the mother or stress hormones.

Cancer is also an epigenetic change... so some of these changes can happen in adult organisms.

Rarely some changes to an adult organism can be passed down to their offspring. Prions are good at doing this for example.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Beauty is in they eye of the beholder...
But in this case another perspective is needed.
nm_flatfish_080409_ssh.jpg

Many species of fish make their livings on the bottom of lakes, rivers and the ocean. Especially in the ocean you want to be able to blend into your surroundings. The water tends to be much clearer and the predators have much better eyes (and color vision).

This particular strategy however, started with a mutation... that started sending the eyes off the middle of the head and onto one side. There is even a fossil flatfish that is a transitional stage between the normal fish condition and the modern flatfish condition.
Flatfish Fossils Fill In Evolutionary Missing Link

This strange condition allows the flatfish to keep a low profile (literally) while still being able to keep both eyes on food, mates and danger. The fins can help break up the profile and you only have to expend energy on camouflage for one side.

Not that this protects them from us... we have been fishing them (and just about every fish species) to near extinction to satisfy our hunger for cheap fish sticks and fake crab meat...

Alceste

Vagabond
So do flatfish tend to evolve toward symmetry,or do they appear to level off with sideways mouths and asymmetrical fins? Don't get me wrong - they're kind of cute the way they are, but I am under the impression (maybe I'm wrong, or at least mammal-ocentric) that most organisms are fairly symmetrical.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
So feel free to ask... even if you think you have a handle on Evolution, there is always something new to learn.

of course there is something new, species are always "evolving" right? :D

i do have some questions, but can't think of what they were, i will have to get back to you on this.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
So do flatfish tend to evolve toward symmetry,or do they appear to level off with sideways mouths and asymmetrical fins? Don't get me wrong - they're kind of cute the way they are, but I am under the impression (maybe I'm wrong, or at least mammal-ocentric) that most organisms are fairly symmetrical.
developmentally they start out symmetrical... flatfish fry (babies) look like normal fish, but the genes that regulate their growth have mutated in such a way that as they grow their eyes travel to the position they are in as an adult. Some bones grow faster on one side of the face than on the other.

YouTube - Developmental morphing - flatfish - ALEX SCHREIBER

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
of course there is something new, species are always "evolving" right? :D
Not just that, but new discoveries on how and why evolution happens are being made... the genetic revolution has opened a whole new window on the how and why.
For example the FoxP2 gene and it's role in our ability to use language... the same gene with a slightly different mutation gives bats the ability to echolocate. :D

i do have some questions, but can't think of what they were, i will have to get back to you on this.
I look forward to any honest questions and discussion. :cool:

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I had a couple of starry flounders in an aquarium a while ago. I picked them up during field activities on the Oregon coast.

Meanest fish I've ever had. They killed everything else in the tank. But really cool to watch.

DarkSun

:eltiT
I've heard that mice can regenerate their flesh when it's removed. How would we go about giving this trait to humans, or what changes to human DNA would have to happen for this to occur? Does anyone really know at the moment?