• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about Evolution?

Tristesse

I got ya... so... was that species closely related to monkeys those "cavemen" they always talk about in little childrens books? What did they evolve from?

Cavemen? Are you referring to Neanderthal? They evolved from an ape-like species.

Dezzie

Cavemen? Are you referring to Neanderthal? They evolved from an ape-like species.

Roger that. Sorry about saying cavemen. I'm just so used to saying that since that is what they called them in school way back in the day. I was referring to Neanderthals.

Tristesse

Roger that. Sorry about saying cavemen. I'm just so used to saying that since that is what they called them in school way back in the day. I was referring to Neanderthals.

Oh no worries. There are a lot of misconceptions about evolution.

Dezzie

Oh no worries. There are a lot of misconceptions about evolution.

I think everybody always has a misconception about something. I don't think we will ever know the truth until we are dead. Even then, maybe we won't know.

Dezzie

I don't think we will know the truth when we're dead, because I think we'll be dead.

Yeah... we'll probably just rot in the ground and our mere existance will never be again. That is a bit scary for some people to think about... that when we die, our soul dies along with our bodies... we will not be with our loved ones, we will not be able to hear, see, and feel ever again... it's a horrible thing to think about. It freaks me out. lol

Tristesse

Yeah... we'll probably just rot in the ground and our mere existance will never be again. That is a bit scary for some people to think about... that when we die, our soul dies along with our bodies... we will not be with our loved ones, we will not be able to hear, see, and feel ever again... it's a horrible thing to think about. It freaks me out. lol

haha yeah, I don't believe we have souls either, mostly because I'm not sure what one is. But I think death is much like it was before you were born. You just are no more.

Dezzie

haha yeah, I don't believe we have souls either, mostly because I'm not sure what one is. But I think death is much like it was before you were born. You just are no more.

Well... think about it... we think, feel, touch, have our own morals... we feel love, hate, fear... When we die, where does that go? I think there is more than meets the eye. I don't know... It's all confusing.

Tristesse

Well... think about it... we think, feel, touch, have our own morals... we feel love, hate, fear... When we die, where does that go? I think there is more than meets the eye. I don't know... It's all confusing.

I have thought about it, those processes are all done by the brain, when we die, the brain dies as well.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I'll give a question a go... they say humans evolved from monkey's correct? What type of species was it exactly? I have always been confused with that because monkey's are still around today. I always felt that they would be extinct if we came from them...

We are apes and share a common ancestor with Chimps and Bonobo's roughly 6 million years ago. Chimps continued to evolve in the forests while our ancestors struck out into the thinning forest areas and savanah.
Monkeys and Chimps remain because they are adapted to environments that we are not. We can't eat the same foods, or travel the same places as they do. Since we are not in direct competition then there is no need for anyone to go extinct.
Having said that... the American-European analogy is probably the best way to think about it. Just because Americans developed from European ancestors doesn't mean that Europeans suddenly die out or stop existing.

I got ya... so... was that species closely related to monkeys those "cavemen" they always talk about in little childrens books? What did they evolve from?

Humans and Neanderthals shared a common ancestor roughly 800,000 odd years ago.
This is shown in their DNA.
Exactly who that ancestor was is still a bit of a mystery. The two most likely candidates are either Homo rhodesiensis or Homo heidelbergensis.

wa:do

Tristesse

I understand your thinking and you are right... I just never want to think or feel again. It would be weird. lol

No, it wouldn't be weird, because you wouldn't even know about it. Think about before you were born, did you know that you weren't yet born, of course not.

Dezzie

No, it wouldn't be weird, because you wouldn't even know about it. Think about before you were born, did you know that you weren't yet born, of course not.

Yeah, you're right. lol I will admit it. Good point. I guess it is weird for me to think about it now. I don't want to just not think ever again... and to never see my loved ones either? That blows... or well... I guess it won't. lol

Tristesse

Yeah, you're right. lol I will admit it. Good point. I guess it is weird for me to think about it now. I don't want to just not think ever again... and to never see my loved ones either? That blows... or well... I guess it won't. lol

I'm with ya, but I'd rather face reality than live blindly by some doctrine.

OmarKhayyam

Another mistake the ID'ers often make is to fail to grasp the implications of this: ALL life has evolved from the SAME beginning. All organisms we know anything about are related. We didn't evolve separate from the dog or the orange tree or the star fish. ALL living things are related by common ancestors.

The implications of that fact is what the ID'ers always miss. They are so fixated on humans they miss the BIG picture.

Life is like a tapestry and we but a few threads. The real story is the picture the tapestry as a whole reveals.

themadhair

^ Just to pre-empt – the argument of commonality being the result of a common designer doesn’t address the crucial point. The point of nested hierarchies.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
So then... any more questions? :D

Surely even those who understand/accept evolution have points of curiosity about the finer details of the theory?

wa:do