• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about Coronavirus

Cooky

Veteran Member
  1. How long does Coronavirus usually last until a person is healed 100%..?
  2. Is it possible that products made in China, and shipped to America could carry the virus?
  3. Do you believe that it is inevitable that you will one day contract Corona virus whether it be this year, or in the years to come?
  4. Is it true that Coronavirus doesn't spread in the summer? And if so, how could that be since it's almost always winter 'somewhere' in the world?
  5. Is it true that some people are virtually unaffected by Coronavirus, while for others it is fatal? If so, how?
  6. Should I have goggles and masks bought in preparation for a mass pandemic?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I know I don't do well with respiratory illnesses, and my wife has severe asthma. Respiratory illnesses are always the worst kind of illness for us. Worse than flu.

...And my understanding is that Coronavirus destroys certain lung cells.

'In the early days of an infection, the novel coronavirus rapidly invades human lung cells. Those lung cells come in two classes: ones that make mucus and ones with hair-like batons called cilia.

Mucus, though gross when outside the body, helps protect lung tissue from pathogens and make sure your breathing organ doesn’t dry out. The cilia cells beat around the mucus, clearing out debris like pollen or viruses.

Frieman explains that SARS loved to infect and kill cilia cells, which then sloughed off and filled patients’ airways with debris and fluids, and he hypothesizes that the same is happening with the novel coronavirus."

Here’s what coronavirus does to the body

Last edited by a moderator:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
  2. Is it possible that products made in China, and shipped to America could carry the virus?
  3. Do you believe that it is inevitable that you will one day contract Corona virus whether it be this year, or in the years to come?
  4. Is it true that Coronavirus doesn't spread in the summer? And if so, how could that be since it's almost always winter 'somewhere' in the world?
  5. Is it true that some people are virtually unaffected by Coronavirus, while for others it is fatal? If so, how?

1. Don't know.
  2. Don't know, but seems unlikely since it is mostly airborne.
  3. Well, if I survive long enough, there will properly be a vaccine. So it is a race against time
  4. No, not based on what I know of viruses.
  5. Probably differences in genes as how the virus attach to cells and thus gets inside the cells and take over the replication process.
  6. No, doesn't work 100%, but you should because of your personal risks factor, but don't count on them. Further there is this, you maybe shouldn't buy them as that reduces the amount available to health personal. And then finally the bizarre one, if you suspect you are infected you could wear a mask to limit the chance of infecting other humans.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I know I don't do well with respiratory illnesses, and my wife has severe asthma. Respiratory illnesses are always the worst kind of illness for us. Worse than flu.

...And my understanding is that Coronavirus destroys certain lung cells.

'In the early days of an infection, the novel coronavirus rapidly invades human lung cells. Those lung cells come in two classes: ones that make mucus and ones with hair-like batons called cilia.

Mucus, though gross when outside the body, helps protect lung tissue from pathogens and make sure your breathing organ doesn’t dry out. The cilia cells beat around the mucus, clearing out debris like pollen or viruses.

Frieman explains that SARS loved to infect and kill cilia cells, which then sloughed off and filled patients’ airways with debris and fluids, and he hypothesizes that the same is happening with the novel coronavirus."

Here’s what coronavirus does to the body

Remember the serenity prayer.
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

As per above for the OP. Do what you can, don't over do it and don't worry about the rest. To worry about something you can't control, doesn't help you.

BTW I am old enough and a heavy smoker to be in the high risk group. But I am also a former professional soldier. If there is a bullet out there with my name on it, then there is a bullet out there with my name on it and I can't change that.
Be a stoic in part if you can. It helps in cases like this.

Regards and love
Mikkel

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
From what I have been able to understand (so subject to correction by any medical people):-

1) a few weeks, like any 'flu'
2) unlikely, due to the shipping transit time (if by sea), during which the virus would dry out completely and become non-functional.
3) No, but it is quite a likely possibility. What I don't know is what degree of virulence it will have by then. These viruses change as time goes by. One slightly comforting fact is that viruses that kill or totally incapacitate the host tend not to spread as much, for obvious reasons. So there can be a tendency for them to weaken with time, by evolution.
4) We don't know yet. But many viruses which are spread in aerosol form or by contact with door handles etc, get fairly quickly destroyed by sunlight, which is more intense in the summer. This is why seasonal colds and 'flu' are prevalent in winter.
5) It seems from what I have read that the very elderly and those with pre-existing conditions are most vulnerable. Aside from that, people are individual and the effectiveness of immune response varies quite a lot.
6) No. Such measures seems fairly useless. But washing your hands whenever you get back from public places (in contact with public transport, handrails, shop counters, etc, before they go anywhere near your nose and mouth, is a sensible precaution that will not make everyone think you have gone crazy.

If your wife is asthmatic, she might consider getting some medical advice.

But it is early days. We don't really know much about it yet. I think I'm going to avoid airports for the next few months and stop eating in the Chinatown area of London for a bit. If we get an outbreak in London, I am going to stop using the underground. But that's about it. From what I read, these masks don't do anything useful - unless you go for the full bio-hazard suit, in which case you must promise to send us a picture of yourself, for laughs. :D

Daemon Sophic

From what I have been able to understand (so subject to correction by any medical people):-

1) a few weeks, like any 'flu'
2) unlikely, due to the shipping transit time (if by sea), during which the virus would dry out completely and become non-functional.
3) No, but it is quite a likely possibility. What I don't know is what degree of virulence it will have by then. These viruses change as time goes by. One slightly comforting fact is that viruses that kill or totally incapacitate the host tend not to spread as much, for obvious reasons. So there can be a tendency for them to weaken with time, by evolution.
4) We don't know yet. But many viruses which are spread in aerosol form or by contact with door handles etc, get fairly quickly destroyed by sunlight, which is more intense in the summer. This is why seasonal colds and 'flu' are prevalent in winter.
5) It seems from what I have read that the very elderly and those with pre-existing conditions are most vulnerable. Aside from that, people are individual and the effectiveness of immune response varies quite a lot.
6) No. Such measures seems fairly useless. But washing your hands whenever you get back from public places (in contact with public transport, handrails, shop counters, etc, before they go anywhere near your nose and mouth, is a sensible precaution that will not make everyone think you have gone crazy.

If your wife is asthmatic, she might consider getting some medical advice.

But it is early days. We don't really know much about it yet. I think I'm going to avoid airports for the next few months and stop eating in the Chinatown area of London for a bit. If we get an outbreak in London, I am going to stop using the underground. But that's about it. From what I read, these masks don't do anything useful - unless you go for the full bio-hazard suit, in which case you must promise to send us a picture of yourself, for laughs. :D
Very good advice all around @exchemist .
The latest that I read about surface survival time is hours to days, with a cool wet environment allowing up to and even over 1 week survival.

As for masks. Yes, getting out the heavy suits and full respirators is vast overkill, but a simple mask over the mouth and nose while traveling or shopping etc is usually not considered “weird”. Realize that it is there not so much to prevent you from breathing in sneeze and cough droplets from others (which cheap masks don’t do), but rather as a last second way to stop the wearer from touching their own mouth and nose (which we all do, all the time). ;) A pocket bottle of alcohol rub is very useful.

Also, everyone should realize that the normal influenza that sweeps our planet annually, kills hundreds of thousands of people after infecting hundreds of millions. It has a fatality rate of roughly 0.1%. The new corona virus is much less infective (so less people will actually “catch” it, but it has a fatality rate of (very roughly) 2-4%. While really bad on a global scale, this means that the vast majority who get the virus will be fine a week or two later. :)
Good luck.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Very good advice all around @exchemist .
The latest that I read about surface survival time is hours to days, with a cool wet environment allowing up to and even over 1 week survival.

As for masks. Yes, getting out the heavy suits and full respirators is vast overkill, but a simple mask over the mouth and nose while traveling or shopping etc is usually not considered “weird”. Realize that it is there not so much to prevent you from breathing in sneeze and cough droplets from others (which cheap masks don’t do), but rather as a last second way to stop the wearer from touching their own mouth and nose (which we all do, all the time). ;) A pocket bottle of alcohol rub is very useful.

Also, everyone should realize that the normal influenza that sweeps our planet annually, kills hundreds of thousands of people after infecting hundreds of millions. It has a fatality rate of roughly 0.1%. The new corona virus is much less infective (so less people will actually “catch” it, but it has a fatality rate of (very roughly) 2-4%. While really bad on a global scale, this means that the vast majority who get the virus will be fine a week or two later. :)
Good luck.
I'm interested in your comment that Covid-19 is less infective than normal 'flu'. What is that based on?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
  • How long does Coronavirus usually last until a person is healed 100%..?
I'm not sure. I did not find anything definitive.
  • Is it possible that products made in China, and shipped to America could carry the virus?
The virus apparently does not live that long outside the human body.
  • Do you believe that it is inevitable that you will one day contract Corona virus whether it be this year, or in the years to come?
I think so.
  • Is it true that Coronavirus doesn't spread in the summer? And if so, how could that be since it's almost always winter 'somewhere' in the world?
People don't get flu/colds as often in the summer. This virus would act that way.
  • Is it true that some people are virtually unaffected by Coronavirus, while for others it is fatal? If so, how?
Yes that what has been reported. It depends apparently on a number of factors including age, physical condition for starters.
  • Should I have goggles and masks bought in preparation for a mass pandemic?
From what I've read that's overkill unless you are sick or immune compromised.

Daemon Sophic

I'm interested in your comment that Covid-19 is less infective than normal 'flu'. What is that based on?
Sorry. Good call.
I was only looking at stats out of Wuhan province in China, but that was after drastic government measures and warnings in order to keep it contained. We have yet to really see how quickly this spreads in the global population.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Sorry. Good call.
I was only looking at stats out of Wuhan province in China, but that was after drastic government measures and warnings in order to keep it contained. We have yet to really see how quickly this spreads in the global population.
OK, I thought perhaps there was something I had missed. I had at one stage thought the spread on the cruise shop was indicative of airborne transmission (i.e. through the AC), as opposed to contacts with droplets, but now it looks as if the quarantine aboard the ship was pretty weak so people could get it from one another by droplet transmission. But I don't think we know at all, as yet, really.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

List of 10 Deadliest Diseases in History - History Lists

It's probably weaker than the season flu virus, which kills about 500k of the world's population a year.

It's definitely weaker than smallpox, Black Plague, the Spanish Flu of 1918 (same as H1N1 but they didn't know how to handle it, and they were in the middle of ****ing trench warfare), malaria, cholera, HIV, ebola, and cancer.

Honestly, people are canceling sporting events, school, and overseas trade. Hysteria feeds stress. Stress disturbs the metabolism and the immune system. Ergo hysteria --> spread of illness.

GET A ****ING GRIP AND STOP PANICKING. The End.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
How long does Coronavirus usually last until a person is healed 100%..?
We don't yet know.
Is it possible that products made in China, and shipped to America could carry the virus?
It is possible. This depends on how long the virus can live and in what conditions. It is believed lady I read or can survive for up to several days.
Do you believe that it is inevitable that you will one day contract Corona virus whether it be this year, or in the years to come?
Probably. It does seem most people will get it at some point.
Is it true that some people are virtually unaffected by Coronavirus, while for others it is fatal? If so, how?
Basically. Age is the biggest factor, with "guy habits" possibly explaining why it is slightly more deadly for men. But most people based on current knowledge only present with minor symptoms. And, if course, overall health plays a crucial role in any illness.
And keep I mind, the only people who have any exposure to this are those who have been sick with it, with the only people in the world to possess any antibodies being those who have recovered from it.

Should I have goggles and masks bought in preparation for a mass pandemic?
No. Those will not help you from getting the disease. It will only help you not pass it to others if you have it.