• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about Christianity and Mormonism

Jane.Doe

I don't know everything about the LDS Church - but isn't one of their main claims that they are different from mainstream Christianity?
It's a good, better, and best mentality.

LDS Christians obviously acknowledge that other folks are Christians too - each person's relationship with Christ is something to celebrate. That is a very good thing. But it would be better and/or best with more correct doctrine (there all disagreements there, like all throughout Christianity). Also having a formal Church structure with prophets like those in the Bible to help people come even closer to Christ. So while acknowledging the good the Christian churches do, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints does believe itself to be Christ's one true church on the earth.

Fallen Prophet

It's a good, better, and best mentality.

LDS Christians obviously acknowledge that other folks are Christians too - each person's relationship with Christ is something to celebrate. That is a very good thing. But it would be better and/or best with more correct doctrine (there all disagreements there, like all throughout Christianity). Also having a formal Church structure with prophets like those in the Bible to help people come even closer to Christ. So while acknowledging the good the Christian churches do, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints does believe itself to be Christ's one true church on the earth.
Exactly. You guys are not claiming to be any run-of-the-mill Christian denomination.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
What the Early Church Believed: The Trinity

Now do you have proof that the early Christians believed that God was once like humans but then became "exalted" to the level of a deity, that God the Father has a physical form, that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are 3 separate beings and that marriage lasts beyond death?

I already know what the answer to that is, so I wonder what the point of this is.

What they believe often answers questions that protestant Christianity can't answer. They have a large heaven and small hell. People actually get a chance to learn, grow and change, instead of just going to hell without any questions. I don't understand some of it, but the rest is pretty darn straight forward and biblical.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
It's an honest question. I have no idea what you're talking about? "Judgement"? It's a theological discussion. Do you know anything about Mormon theology? They're the ones who call all other Christians apostates. So do the JWs. That was what that was referring to.

I don't think LDS folks call anyone apostates, but maybe I am wrong. They don't think those of other religions are going to hell, unlike fundamentalist/evangelicals.

Jane.Doe

I don't think LDS folks call anyone apostates, but maybe I am wrong. They don't think those of other religions are going to hell, unlike fundamentalist/evangelicals.
LDS Christians don't refer to other Christians or any other individual as "apostates". Again, it's a good-better-best view of things.

There is passionate disagreement with the post-Biblical Creeds, but those aren't people.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I've never heard Mormonism described as being just a flavor of traditional Christianity. Sure, oatmeal cookies and chocolate chip cookies aren't the same, but they're both cookies. One's not a granola bar.
Christianity is the chocolate chip cookie. Mormons are oatmeal raisin. Looks similar, but not the same thing. Are you going to suggest raisins are the same as chocolate chips? The Mormon Church’s beliefs about the godhead for example are so fundamentally different than tradition Christianity it is like the raisin vs the chocolate chip. Might look similar in the cookie, but further investigation shows they’re vastly different.

Fallen Prophet

It’s deceitful. Duh
You understand that the term "extreme" is completely subjective and that no religion teaches literally everything to everyone at all times.

And also - no one is forced to stay in any religion if they determine that they have bitten off more than they can chew.

There are no victims in this scenario - so stop acting like there are.

Jane.Doe

Christianity is the chocolate chip cookie. Mormons are oatmeal raisin. Looks similar, but not the same thing. Are you going to suggest raisins are the same as chocolate chips? The Mormon Church’s beliefs about the godhead for example are so fundamentally different than tradition Christianity it is like the raisin vs the chocolate chip. Might look similar in the cookie, but further investigation shows they’re vastly different.
Watchman, there is HUGE variety of things different Christians believe on all sorts of subjects. Catholics, Orthodox, Calvinist, Methodists, Pentecostal, Fundamentalist, LDS, etc. Oatmeal cookies, chocolate cookies, peanut butter, strawberry strudel, etc.

The foundational of all of these is the same: faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and discipleship of Him. The two great commandments. These are the cores of all Christian groups (yes, including the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints).

Past that that foundation, you'll find more differences between all of these groups the more you study. Nobody downloads everything into your brain the instant you walk into the door- such is impossible to do. For example, if you go to a Baptist church, they do not require you to write essays the Athanasian Creed + Arminian vs Calvinism + Augustinian deprived nature + a bunch of other subjects before they declared you a born again forever saved Christian. Such just is impractical. And frankly, if you're just causally attending that Baptist church and casually studying scripture occasionally, you'll likely never have a understanding on these more academic theological concepts.

All of that holds true for ALL Christian groups.

Watchmen

Premium Member
You understand that the term "extreme" is completely subjective and that no religion teaches literally everything to everyone at all times.

And also - no one is forced to stay in any religion if they determine that they have bitten off more than they can chew.

It’s a total bait and switch, which is illegal I. The commercial context. Again, you don’t see it because you’re a religious zealot.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Watchman, there is HUGE variety of things different Christians believe on all sorts of subjects. Catholics, Orthodox, Calvinist, Methodists, Pentecostal, Fundamentalist, LDS, etc. Oatmeal cookies, chocolate cookies, peanut butter, strawberry strudel, etc.

The foundational of all of these is the same: faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and discipleship of Him. The two great commandments. These are the cores of all Christian groups (yes, including the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints).

Past that that foundation, you'll find more differences between all of these groups the more you study. Nobody downloads everything into your brain the instant you walk into the door- such is impossible to do. For example, if you go to a Baptist church, they do not require you to write essays the Athanasian Creed + Arminian vs Calvinism + Augustinian deprived nature + a bunch of other subjects before they declared you a born again forever saved Christian. Such just is impractical. And frankly, if you're just causally attending that Baptist church and casually studying scripture occasionally, you'll likely never have a understanding on these more academic theological concepts.

I’ll respond to this later.

Fallen Prophet

It’s a total bait and switch, which is illegal I. The commercial context. Again, you don’t see it because you’re a religious zealot.
I don't see any "bait and switch".

I have read the Bible and understand the concept of "milk before meat" - so the idea of teaching basics before diving into the "extreme meat" is not unreasonable or dishonest.

Besides - there are many people who like "extreme meat" - so the term "extreme" is completely subjective.

And since nothing is literally being bought or sold - I don't see how anything illegal is going on.

Do you think that women wearing make-up should be made illegal - since it can be argued as a "bait and switch" practice?

And I don't understand how I am a religious zealot for defending the Mormons or any other religion who wants to proselytize or set their own standards.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Christianity is the chocolate chip cookie. Mormons are oatmeal raisin. Looks similar, but not the same thing. Are you going to suggest raisins are the same as chocolate chips?
You're pretty stupid if that's what you think I'm going to do. You know me a whole lot better than that.

The Mormon Church’s beliefs about the godhead for example are so fundamentally different than tradition Christianity it is like the raisin vs the chocolate chip. Might look similar in the cookie, but further investigation shows they’re vastly different.
Pentecostal Christianity is radically different from Roman Catholicism. So freaking what? The basis of all of Christianity is that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the World. That one unifying doctrine is bigger than all of their other differences. At any rate, I'm not looking for an argument with you, Watchman. I remember when you first left the Church. You told me of your decision and then promised you weren't going to turn into some kind of anti-Mormon. You may feel as if that hasn't happened, but I think it has. We used to be friends, and I'd prefer to remember you as the kind of person you used to be. I think it best that I just not respond to your posts in the future. If you want to badmouth your former Church, knock yourself out. Just don't expect me to be baited into any more discussions with you. I'm pretty close to being done with RF altogether anyway. I hardly ever post any more.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I'm pretty close to being done with RF altogether anyway. I hardly ever post any more.
You’ll be missed if you decide to jump ship. Look, I know sometimes it feels like the ship is heading for an iceberg, torpedos are heading for the bow, a pandemic is taking a toll on the passengers and there is an escaped axe murderer on board, but please don’t leave.

Watchmen

Premium Member

The “Jesus” that Mormons believe in is not that of traditional Christianity. Hence the chocolate chip versus raisin analogy.

EDIT typo.

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member

Oh there are plenty of victims. Many members are subjected to physical, sexual, financial and other abuses but are too brainwashed to recognize this until severe damage has been done.