• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

questions about christianity and hinduism

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hello again,
I am going to a local temple soon to talk with a priest.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I hope you have a good day and may Krishna bless you!

The term 'priest' was a poor translation when the comparative religious guys looked at Hinduism through Abrahamic coloured glasses. The role of the person you're thinking about probably isn't the same role as the one you're used to.

Some differences are that Hindu priest generally aren't counsellors. They can be scholars, but the primary duty is ritual ... to keep the God's presence felt in the temple, by proper ritual. They are called pujaris, iyers, kuukkals. pandits, and more.

Although there may be some that could counsel you, many couldn't, or wouldn't because its outside their role. That role is taken care of by village elders in the Hindu community. Best wishes all the same.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The term 'priest' was a poor translation when the comparative religious guys looked at Hinduism through Abrahamic coloured glasses. ...

They are called pujaris, iyers, kuukkals. pandits, and more.

That's a good point. Maybe we should stop using the word 'priest', though it's a term of convenience encompassing all the types of priests (oops! :D)). Even the sanctum steps have signs that say Priests Only.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's a good point. Maybe we should stop using the word 'priest', though it's a term of convenience encompassing all the types of priests (oops! :D)). Even the sanctum steps have signs that say Priests Only.
At the Hindu temple, the confessional is that space in front of the deity where devotees commune with Him/Her. Out in the open where all can see. That function is performed by the deity directly.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
At the Hindu temple, the confessional is that space in front of the deity where devotees commune with Him/Her. Out in the open where all can see. That function is performed by the deity directly.

Yes, I see most people who are praying, including myself, directly in front of the large sanctums or smaller shrines. I don’t see many people secluded in corners.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There are just so many changes when transitioning from one paradigm to the next. I don't envy the OP for that reason. So much, going either way, is just so very different, in philosophy, and in practice. I feel lucky to have started at nothing. You must feel about 95% there now, no? Ten years?

von bek

Episode 74, the Vishvarupa, Krishna's divine form... gives me chills. :eek: The special effects being a little dated notwithstanding.

The entire series is (was?) on Youtube. The dvd set is US $99.

I just recently discovered these tv devotional series on youtube. Started watching Maa Shakti over the weekend. I only understand the words that are names of deities (I think the show itself is in Hindi) and I love every second of it! I don't have to know what is being said in order to feel Her love. The actresses playing Durga/Parvati and Kali are beautiful! :heart:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There are just so many changes when transitioning from one paradigm to the next. I don't envy the OP for that reason. So much, going either way, is just so very different, in philosophy, and in practice. I feel lucky to have started at nothing. You must feel about 95% there now, no? Ten years?

I can't agree enough. The "curse of the converts" thread in the Hinduism DIR brings out the common theme. You've watched my "evolution" and have probably noted it was not an easy one. Lots of confusion. Much of it has to do with my underlying personality traits... social anxiety, OCPD, a touch of Asperger's. I was fortunate enough to have had the ability to largely shed the effects of Catholic upbringing. Some effects like guilt still exist, though they are lessening and are largely an effect of OCPD rather than anything religious. For me, I'd have to offer a more modest state of about 90%. I'm always learning something, mostly what is not worth freaking out over. :D It's more like a "settling in".

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I just recently discovered these tv devotional series on youtube. Started watching Maa Shakti over the weekend. I only understand the words that are names of deities (I think the show itself is in Hindi) and I love every second of it! I don't have to know what is being said in order to feel Her love. The actresses playing Durga/Parvati and Kali are beautiful! :heart:

Try to catch Devon Ke Dev (God of Gods) the series about Lord Shiva. ;) I've seen a few YT episodes. Iirc it's one actress who plays Maa, and she is gorgeous. Meaning no disrespect to the Lord (well, he's just an actor) Lord Shiva is smokin' hot! :D

von bek

Try to catch Devon Ke Dev (God of Gods) the series about Lord Shiva. ;) I've seen a few YT episodes. Iirc it's one actress who plays Maa, and she is gorgeous. Meaning no disrespect to the Lord (well, he's just an actor) Lord Shiva is smokin' hot! :D

I went down a rabbit-hole the other day reading an online argument between people about which actress portraying Maa Kali was the best. The argument went back and forth before one of them made a point of clarifying that nobody was critiquing Kali Herself, only the actresses. :D

Side note, I haven't made a decision on a favorite Kali actress. They are all stunning beyond belief.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Hello again,

thank you much for the many comments. I hope I made myself clear that I do not intend to entirely leave Jesus behind. I just believe differently than in what the bible teaches. The book is very cruel and if you want to be strict with it it can suck out all joy from you and imprison you in a very difficult worldview. I have stopped believing in the bible around 3 years ago and prayed to various gods including Zeus and Ganesha and Krishna and Odin. They all responded to me somehow and impressed to me that the real Jesus was like a special saint and sage who tried to help Israel and later on the world being less strict and confining in religion and not to forget that God is a loving being who doesn't think of sending wars and bloodshed. But later on the church changed this plan of Jesus and became a very dominating institution that brainwashes people into an authority religion again.

I am desiring to live in the truth and so I wanted to know if other gods than Jesus and Abba exist, and they do. That is why I am a polytheist now and currently investigate hinduism. I have spent time at prayer websites and find the hindu ways very appealing and I believe Jesus blesses this spiritual experiment. He is not holding to most of what the bible teaches and was himself familiar with other gods than just the jewish one. That just doesn't come through in the bible. Krishna also loves honesty and love for the truth and he is calling me into his graces to recover from my difficult past. For example, while still in the church they wanted to tell me that all other religions than christianity are false and from the devil. This view is now the epitome of ignorance for me and I find it disturbing and harmful. After some visions I had from Krishna this month I feel courageous enough to try more the hindu way. I am going to a local temple soon to talk with a priest.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I hope you have a good day and may Krishna bless you!
Well, I must say that I find this very troubling. You sound very confused and mixed up. The Jesus you're referring to is not the one of the Gospels, that's for sure. I will repeat that you should get your mental health sorted out first before diving into religion and listening to voices and visions. God bless you.

trablano

What do you find troubling? It is the bible and biblical christianity which are troubling! According to the bible I can forget about my family because most of them do not believe in Jesus. This false bible god is not love, he is anger and hatred and pride. The real Jesus, I believe, was beyond such things and preached love and truth and life and that the gods are like fathers and mothers. But if you follow the ways of the bible you end up with a devil as a god. Hellfire teachings are troubling, not seeking the true Jesus in an honest and less word-focussed way. Do not hide this from your own heart. When God doesn't love everyone we loose too much from our own worth and human sense. We need a benevolent Creator who also supports our freedom. Read the books of George MacDonald. There is holiness to be found in them...

Earthling

David Henson
Trablano, as an irreligious sort of student and believer of the Bible and considering the delicate nature of this forum, Seeker's Circle, I would only like to say to you that the Bible doesn't actually teach hell and Hinduism does. Naraka (Hinduism) - Wikipedia
Hell is a pagan teaching adopted by Christianity long after Christ.

ajay0

Trablano, as an irreligious sort of student and believer of the Bible and considering the delicate nature of this forum, Seeker's Circle, I would only like to say to you that the Bible doesn't actually teach hell and Hinduism does. Naraka (Hinduism) - Wikipedia
Hell is a pagan teaching adopted by Christianity long after Christ.

It is true that heaven and hells are there in Hinduism. This is more properly termed as astral worlds, as depicted in the book 'Autobiography of a Yogi' by Paramahamsa Yogananda.

However the heaven and hell in Hinduism is not of an eternal nature as in the abrahamic faiths, and is temporary. There is no eternal hellfire involved.

One suffers for the bad karmas done, but after the bad karmas are exhausted, one is reborn and gets a chance to do good karmas again, go to heaven and eventually attain enlightenment or Moksha/Nirvana, which is considered superior to the pleasures of heaven as well.

Some Hindu spiritual masters also interpret heaven and hell to be states of mind one creates within oneself with good or bad karmas.

I do consider all talk of permanent hellfire and the torture stories in eternal hell, quite unhealthy psychologically speaking. I know of a Christian lady who was put in a mental hospital due to excessive paranoia of the devil .

If indeed eternal hell is a foreign idea and not part of original Christianity, it is high time such unhealthy ideas are eliminated from the bible.

Last edited: