• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about (כשוף - קסם - חבר - חרש) Types of Avodah Zara

Ehav4Ever

Ehav, what do the Baladi’s think about the computer simulation theory ?

The best way I can answer that is with the following video I once did on Torath Mosheh. Once you watch it see my comment below.

Comment: So essentially the problem that most people who hold by Torath Moshe, including Baladi Jews would have, would computer simulation theory is that it doesn't match the mesorah that came out of the giving of the Torah at Har Sinai. I.e. we are living in a reality that Hashem and it is real and beyond it is Olam Haba. The Rambam mentoins that Hazal tried to stay away from focusing on exact details of Olam Haba because it isn't relevant for us to focus really hard on and when it happens for a person then it will be what it is. I hope that makes sense.

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
The best way I can answer that is with the following video I once did on Torath Mosheh. Once you watch it see my comment below.

Comment: So essentially the problem that most people who hold by Torath Moshe, including Baladi Jews would have, would computer simulation theory is that it doesn't match the mesorah that came out of the giving of the Torah at Har Sinai. I.e. we are living in a reality that Hashem and it is real and beyond it is Olam Haba. The Rambam mentoins that Hazal tried to stay away from focusing on exact details of Olam Haba because it isn't relevant for us to focus really hard on and when it happens for a person then it will be what it is. I hope that makes sense.
The simulation theory is more likely than the OT.

Ehav4Ever

The simulation theory is more likely than the OT.

I can't speak to what you consider to be an OT. For example, there is a huge difference between the Torah and the rest of Nach. How the Torah is understood and treated is different then the Nach. So, in that area one would need to deal with specifics.

In terms of a theory. If it is a theory then people can walk away from it with something or nothing. Especially given the "name" of the theory. For example, given that computers created by people are quite miniscule when compared to the earth, solar system, the galaxy, why use a term for something that is so insignicant to the visible universe? Dealing with definitions on the same scale, what is a simulation and above the concepts that humans come up for the word what "proof" is there for these defintions are applicable beyond the human imagination of what a "simulation" is? Lastly, it appears that the concept is one that predominately is western in nature. So, given that historically speaking there are other nations/concepts/periods of human history maybe the terms used to describe the idea are limited by the western nature of the concept.

Given all of the issues a Jew who is Baladi would often relate to any theory through the words that the Hachamim/sages have said they are summed up as, "Accept the proven truth from where ever it may come. The Torah was not given to contradict what is empherically proven to be true in reality."

Last edited:

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
I can't speak to what you consider to be an OT. For example, there is a huge difference between the Torah and the rest of Nach. How the Torah is understood and treated is different then the Nach. So, in that area one would need to deal with specifics.

In terms of a theory. If it is a theory then people can walk away from it with something or nothing. Especially given the "name" of the theory. For example, given that computers created by people are quite minscule when compared to the earthy, solar system, the galaxy, why use a term for something that is so insignicant to the visible universe? Dealing with definitions on the same scale what is a simulation and above the concepts that humans come up for the word what "proof" is there for these defintions are applicable beyond the human imagination of what a "simulation" is? Lastly, it appears that the concept is one that predominately a western one. So, given that historically speaking there are other nations/concepts/periods of human history maybe the terms used to describe the idea limited by the western nature of the concept.

Given all of the issues a Jew who is Baladi would often relate to any theory through the words that sages have said they are summed up as, "Accept the proven truth from where ever it may come. The Torah was not given to contradict what is empherically proven to be true in reality."
Thank you, Ehav. How much formal education do you have?

Ehav4Ever

Thank you, Ehav. How much formal education do you have?

BSc in Electrical Engineering. 25+ in research, engineering, hi-tech. Modern Hebrew, Yemenite Hebrew, Samaritan Hebrew, and Aramaic. Author of a sci-fi novel and articles and papers on Jewish history/culture. YouTube videos. (I consider all of this a part of my education)

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
BSc in Electrical Engineering. 25+ in research, engineering, hi-tech. Modern Hebrew, Yemenite Hebrew, Samaritan Hebrew, and Aramaic. Author of a sci-fi novel and articles and papers on Jewish history/culture. YouTube videos. (I consider all of this a part of my education)
You are clearly a gifted scholar, like RR and big R.

Ehav4Ever

Just going over this thread and yes, I've read some of James Randy so am slightly familiar with him, but the question or thought is--what about the deaths of the first born of Egyptian households, was that sleight of hand or from the God Almighty?"

Greetings. I think you missed the previous thread that this thread started from. Jewish sources are clear that Hashem is not human and has no human form. So, there is slight of hand for something that doesn't have hands. I.e. as the Source of creation all of creation is subject to Hashem. Life and death are aspects of creation. I hope that helps.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Greetings. I think you missed the previous thread that this thread started from. Jewish sources are clear that Hashem is not human and has no human form. So, there is slight of hand for something that doesn't have hands. I.e. as the Source of creation all of creation is subject to Hashem. Life and death are aspects of creation. I hope that helps.
So far I don't think I disagree. I'm a little afeerd of answering lest I be moderated. :) (Take care, I'll send you a private message or maybe in another thread. Since I'm not good at this, I don't know if I can start a thread so I'll message you. Thanks.)

Jake1001

Computer Simulator
Can you provide us links to your articles, papers and additional YouTubes beyond the one posted above ? Also, I read your comment on the computer simulation theory. So you are saying because it is not Torah you don’t believe it ?

Last edited:

Ehav4Ever

Can you provide us links to your articles, papers and additional YouTubes beyond the one posted above ? Also, I read your comment on the computer simulation theory. So you are saying because it is not Torah you don’t believe it ?

Sure, see below.

The Chronicles of Ehav Ever

Abir Qeseth

Hochmah and Musar (A blog I used to write on)

A Minority Within a Minority: Truth Seeking as a Non-exclusive Reality | jewishideas.org

In terms of the papers I have written. I used to keep them stored on a FaceBook group I managed but I left FB several years ago. I have been trying to find a place to store them until I do more editing and then I can submit them to some more public sites.

What I can do is post them bit by bit here. I will start with a few and see how it works.

Attachments

• Mesorah - Ancient or Modern_Rev2.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Ehav4Ever

Here is another. I had not saved it after I wrote so I had get it off the WayBack Machine.

Attachments

• Top Model, Choices, and Shabbat _ Institute for Jewish Ideas and Ideals.pdf
    379.5 KB · Views: 0