• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions about (כשוף - קסם - חבר - חרש) Types of Avodah Zara

Ehav4Ever

What about the Egyptians turning their sticks into snakes? Or foreseeing the coming of Moshe, etc...

Concerning the "wise men" of Pharaoh:
  1. According to Saadya Gaon in his commentary to the Torah he mentions (דבר הנעשה בחשאי ובהסתר) i.e. essentially slight of hand tricks. Also, mentioned in Emunoth and Deoth book 3 section 5 that they did things that were (כפא מסתורא אדא כשף) hidden to make their attempt work and that if one were to check it they would find that they were doing nonsense.
  2. Malbim states that they took skins of dead tinim and the Hartumim were under the skins moving them to make them appear as if they were alive. He brings down also a midrash that claims that they brought in (תנוקות מן אסכולית שלהם) students from their schools to manipulate the skins to make it appear that they were alive.
  3. Soferno states (עַל תַּבְנִית וּתְמוּנַת תַּנִּינִים, אֲבָל לא בִּתְנוּעָתָם) and also (לא הָיָה כחַ בַּחַרְטֻמִּים לָתֵת תְּנוּעָה בַּתַּנִּינִים) i.e. they could produce the form of tinim but they could not give it life/movement.
Concerning forseeing Mosheh Rabbeinu's birth.
  1. According to the midrash Sepher HaYashar, Pharaoh had a dream and the interpretation from the dream from Bilam was that a child would be born to Am Yisrael who would cause the downfall of that empire of Egypt and would lead Am Yisrael out of Egypt. (Remember what Me'am Loez stated earlier that earlier Bilam started out as a interpreter of dreams before he went on to do Qosem.)
    • When Pharaoh asked for advice on what to do about the above and he requested advice from Reuel, Iyov, and Bilam. He took Bilam's advice but saw that Bilam's advice did not work. (He saw that Am Yisrael were still increasing in numbers.)
    • Later the Sepher HaYashar only states that Pharaoh suspected Mosheh was the one that the dream was about when he saw Mosheh as a child, who was in his court doing things that seemed to allude to the dream he had. (According to the midrash Bilam reminded him but that Hashem sent a malakh to confuse the situation.)
  2. Rashi states, based on Shemoth 1:22 that the day Mosheh Rabbeinu was born, Pharaoh’s astrologers told him that a Jewish deliverer had been born, but they weren’t sure whether it would be someone of Am Yisrael or an Egyptian. Rashi further states that the Egyptian astrologers miscalculated by about 3 months. See below
    • אף עליהם גזר. יום שנולד משה אמרו לו אצטגניניו היום נולד מושיען, ואין אנו יודעין אם ממצרים אם מישראל, ורואין אנו שסופו ללקות במים, לפיכך גזר אותו היום אף על המצרים, שנאמר כל הבן הילוד, ולא נאמר הילוד לעברים, והם לא היו יודעים שסופו ללקות על מי מריבה.
  3. There is a view, based on the above, that Pharaoh's astrolgers, and Bilam, really didn't know anything but simply provided a solution to Pharaoh's dream for either their own politcal reasons or just to satisfy Pharaoh's desires, based on the information he provided from his dram, in a way that it couldn't be 100% proven wrong.
  4. Mosheh ben Haim of Mesora.org states: "So when they would make predictions, they would do so either in generalities, or in areas that one can never prove impossible. Alternatively, the astrologers saw that Pharaoh was now subjugating the Jews, as the Jews were more numerous, and possibly could pose a threat to the Egyptians. The astrologers surmised the possibility of an uprising, and weren’t sure whether it would be spearheaded by a Jew or an Egyptian sympathizer. They therefore used rational deduction in their forecast to Pharaoh and told him that it could be either a Jew or Egyptian savior. The fact that the astrologers could not determine Moses’ nationality, and that the second Rashi implies miscalculation, uncovers their ignorance, and removes any credibility of their astrology. Perhaps this is why Rashi recorded these two stories, to teach that their astrology is a farce. Just as people today cannot read palms, or foretell events, so too was the case in Egypt. Pharaoh positioned astrologers as a source of security to placate him at times when he was in doubt. All that was needed was that Pharaoh believed them. When objective reality could not be ascertained, emotional security filled the gap."
  5. Mosheh ben Haim from Mesorah.org further states - "The astrologers were in positions of counsel due to Pharaoh’s need for advice. They counseled Pharaoh with general statements, such as those where they could not be proved wrong, i.e., “you will have 7 daughters, and you will bury 7 daughters”. If Pharaoh approached them and said, “Where are my 7 daughters?”, they could respond. “You will have them yet”. Similarly, they stated, “A savior of the Jews is to be born”. Pharaoh was superstitious, and out of a fear of an uprising, he, like any other leader insecure of his reign, might resort to following the only prospect for success, that being the astrologers’ advice of slaying even Egyptian males. Who said this was the only day they told Pharaoh that a savior could be born? Perhaps they said this on many occasions, and chance had it that they also said it on Moses’ birthday. Keep in mind that the astrologers previously stated that a savior is to be born. The first time they said this, they were unsure about his date of birth, and they were unsure about his origin, whether it was Egyptian or Hebrew. They were feigning knowledge of future events, as Pharaoh was looking to them for direction. They couldn’t say “we don’t know”. They would either lose their positions, or be killed. They therefore made general statements that had possibility of coming true, based on current events."

Ehav4Ever

All I needed was this little bit. I saw no reason to move your posts from the other thread. I think @Jake1001 was just kidding.

Not a problem. ;) I was considering, before answering dantech, making it a seperate topic. It may make it easier for both because they are kind of seperate topics.

Ehav4Ever

@Jake1001 forget trying to get @Ehav4Ever to use American terms for Jewish denominations.

It isn't just me. There are a number of Sephardim who don't use those terms. (Some see it as an Ashkenazi indentification.) From what I understand there were some Ashkenazim early on who didn't like the term OJ either.

Also, here in Israel those terms are not used especially in non-Anglo communities.

Ehav4Ever

For example, from the JPPI (Jewish People Policy Institute)

The categories of religious identity the Pew and the UJA-Federation studies employed did not include one specifically for the Sephardic community, an omission that is difficult to defend given its size and distinctiveness. According to the UJA-Federation study, Sephardic Jews account for close to 16 percent of the New York area Jewish population. The broad division of religiously affiliated Jews among Reform, Conservative, and Orthodox is generally inapplicable to the Sephardic community. There are few, if any, Conservative or Reform Sephardic synagogues or temples in the United States. For all practical purposes, Sephardic synagogues would be considered Orthodox by anyone outside of the Sephardic community, as they all have mehitzot (dividers that separate men’s and women’s sections) and follow a traditional liturgy, even though their members may not all be Orthodox in their observance of Jewish law and ritual. The further division of Orthodox Jews into Modern Orthodox, Hasidic, and Yeshivish is also inappropriate as these categories are legacies of European Jewish society.

The key factor of identity for Sephardic Jews is the city or country of origin of one’s family. One of the largest Sephardic communities, if not the largest, in the United States today is the Syrian community, of which there is further division between Jews who originate from Aleppo or Damascus. Other significant Sephardic communities include (in no particular order), Jews originating from Persia, Morocco, Egypt, Lebanon, and Yemen. Each of these communities has its own liturgy, ritual music, and synagogue and home customs, with some clustering of traditions whose differences are relatively less profound.​

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
It isn't just me. There are a number of Sephardim who don't use those terms. (Some see it as an Ashkenazi indentification.) From what I understand there were some Ashkenazim early on who didn't like the term OJ either.
Not where I'm from. And no, it's not an inherently Anglo community. Sure the Israeli terms are much more prevalent, but you outright refuse to use any of those.

Ehav4Ever

Not where I'm from. And no, it's not an inherently Anglo community. Sure the Israeli terms are much more prevalent, but you outright refuse to use any of those.

Where in Israel do you live and what communities are you around and what tems do they use? For example, the Teimanim and Moroccans where you live what do they call themselves?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Where in Israel do you live and what communities are you around and what tems do they use? For example, the Teimanim and Moroccans where you live what do they call themselves?
I'm not going to tell you where I live. I retain my right of privacy. The various communities refer to themselves by the edah name but denominations are different: Chiloni, Masorti, Tzioni-dati/Dati-Leumi/Mizrochnik, Charedi, Reformim, Conservativim. When speaking in English or when making comparisons to American Jewry, the American terms will be used as well: Non-religious/secular, Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, Modern Orthodox, etc.

Ehav4Ever

Also, which Israeli terms are you saying I outright refuse to use?

Ehav4Ever

I'm not going to tell you where I live. I retain my right of privacy.

Fair enough.

The various communities refer to themselves by the edah name but denominations are different: Chiloni, Masorti, Tzioni-dati/Dati-Leumi/Mizrochnik, Charedi, Reformim, Conservativim. When speaking in English or when making comparisons to American Jewry, the American terms will be used as well: Non-religious/secular, Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, Modern Orthodox, etc.

Concerning the list you mentioned.
  1. Chiloni doesn't factor into most English discussions I am involved in since the word in English secular describes that situation well enough. It also doesn't factor into most discussions I am involved in but in the rare instances where it was necessary - such as the GodTV debate thread.
  2. Masorti often means, in many Mizrahi-Teimani-Sephardic communities in Jerusalem, Rechovot, Beer Sheva, (the places I am normally found) that someone may have grown up keeping certain "traditions" but only loosely. Normally, someone Mizrahi-Teimani-Sephardic won't describe themselves that way if they are regulars at a Beith Keneseth for all tefiloth, keep mitzvoth, etc. Thus, this isn't relevant to a discussion about what the truth is or what is the most ancient, authorative, and authenic information is from the Torah.
  3. Tzioni-dati/Dati-Leumi/Mizrochnik, Charedi, Reformim, Conservativim - Tzioni-dati/Dati-Leumi are not relevant to most discussions I am involved in and most Teimanim-Sephardim-Mizrahim in the areas I described don't use those terms to describe themselves. Also, most of the Askeanzim I am around in the areas I am in don't describe themselves that way. Mizrochnik - in the 13 years I have lived in Israel I have never heard one person use this term. Charedi is only relevant when they are being discussed. I don't see any specific thread I have been involved in where there was a must to mention Charedi. Reformim, Conservativim are also note relevant because in most places I have lived in the are virtually non-existant. Here in Jerusalem I know of like one conservative congregation and only one reform one. They are both not very relevant to the lives of most Israelis I know and further if one is talking about topics that predate those movements and also the fact that neither movement ever existed in the Mizrah or Magreb they are also not relevant to most conversations I would ever be involved in. I did a video about this once.
  4. American Jewry - Since I am not involved in any real threads about American Jewry the terms used by "some" are not relevant. Like I mentioned before, there are a number of American Sephardic Jews who don't like being associated with the terms Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, Modern Orthodox, etc. since they consider that to be Ashkenazi in origin and nature. I even remember when I lived in NYC a movement of younger Sephardim who were trying to return to what the called a more classical Sephardic tradition by not embracing Ashkenazi terms.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Also, which Israeli terms are you saying I outright refuse to use?
I didn't mean that you refuse to use Israeli terms, but as you mentioned it, I recall now that you don't even call your religion Yahadut but "Torath Mosheh".
Concerning the list you mentioned.
Listen, you're free to say what you want. I was the simply pointing out the facts to Jake.

Ehav4Ever

I didn't mean that you refuse to use Israeli terms, but as you mentioned it, I recall now that you don't even call your religion Yahadut but "Torath Mosheh".

There are a lot of Israelis who you will very rarely hear use the word Yahadut. It doesn't serve a lot of necessity for a lot of Israel, especially in communities I mentioned. That is because when the Rishonim were using the term it wasn't about "religion' as the English term means.

As I have shown before the term "Torath Mosheh" was and is quite common in various circles go back to the Rishonim and such. Also, Yahaduth is used by the Reform and the Conservative so people can easily get confused, now a days, just on the use of a term commonly used by people who don't keep Torah and Halakha. Also, as I have mentioned before Torath Mosheh is not a "religious" term but because the forum has a "religion" field I have to put something. For that same reason Reform and Conservative and anything that didn't come from Moheh or a Sanhadrin can't claim to be Torath Mosheh. Yet, they can claim to be Judaism and they can claim to be Yahaduth. Thus, I know of people on this forum who have expressed confusion on that issue.

Also, because the concept of "religion" is a western one and debates about faith and blind faith are the mark of the word using historically Jewish termonlogy makes sense to me. Especially in an environment such as this forum where not everyone is really talking about the same thing. It also keeps me out some of the debates that have nothing to do with anything found in the Torah and also to be quite honest keeps the threads I choose to be involved from going till the end of time without any real resolution.

Listen, you're free to say what you want. I was the simply pointing out the facts to Jake.

I think the terms you are used to though are limited to the communities you are used to. I don't think you have been around the number of circles I have been around here in Israel and maybe not for the time I have been in those circles - which is perfectly fine. ;)

Last edited:

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the terms you are used to though are limited to the communities you are used to. I don't think you have been around the number of circles I have been around here in Israel and maybe not for the time I have
Sure...whatev.

Ehav4Ever

I forgot to transfer over the following definitions from the other thread.

(קסם) is defined as "decision making based on lot or sign; or by using tools to make predictions." Also, (חרש) means a charmer/some translate as sorcerer but given that the root is (חרש) meaning silent it would appear that this denotes the method that they used - such as silent murmering. Another approach is the other meaning of (חרש) and that is to be entangled/chocked/obstructed.

Rambam describes all of this in Mishnah Torah - Hilchoth Avodah Zara 11:4-7 and 18. He further comments in his commentary of the Mishnah that all Avodah Zara, includign what is mentioned above, is falsehood and worthless.

Based on everything in Rambam's description it seems that each Qosem had some method they employed to make people think they had some special power. His description sounds a lot like what you see in the James Randy videos where he debunks the paranormal and pseudoscientific claims.