• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questioning Philosophical Ordering

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
  • Consumerism: Buying happiness.
  • Hedonism: Seeking pleasure.
  • Pathēism: Pursuing experiences to gain understanding.
  • Stoicism: Restraining pathē.
  • Asceticism: Devoted to discipline.
  • Buddhism: None-attachment through selflessness.
  • Altruism: Serving others.
  • Martyrism: A self-sacrifice.
Interested what you think about this list I've made for a Twitter tweet?

Whilst creating the list, it has helped me understand why religion without the philosophies, has lost some of its reasons for being.

Since some of you have spent ages discussing these ideas, is there anything you feel this list should've included?

In my opinion. :innocent:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Whilst creating the list, it has helped me understand why religion without the philosophies, has lost some of its reasons for being.

Since some of you have spent ages discussing these ideas, is there anything you feel this list should've included?

Is there a hierarchy to this list?
I think I'm rather eclectic in my pursuits as I seem to make use of them all at various times.

Also would you consider Marxism a philosophy?
A philosophy of equity. Kind of a pursuit of an atheist utopia.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see asceticism as devotion to discipline, but more an abstinence from sense-pleasures.

I don't think your definition of Buddhism is quite right, either. I think it's more a system of inquiry for realization of non-self and subsequently liberation.

wizanda

Premium Member
Is there a hierarchy to this list?
There is a partial structure to it; where there is a dividing philosophical idea in the middle...

Where we can find a balance between experiencing Pathos, and restraining Pathos.

If had more space on a Tweet, might have included Epicurism also; as that is about finding a balance between having too much, and too little.
I think I'm rather eclectic in my pursuits as I seem to make use of them all at various times.
I think we all do at times, and therefore recognizing this philosophically helps us realize how we're psychologically driven; plus where the highest ideals of religion came from, and how they then became confused, by over emphasizing the wrong aspects.

In my opinion.
:innocent:

wizanda

Premium Member
I don't see asceticism as devotion to discipline, but more an abstinence from sense-pleasures.
Asceticism has become about abstinence to maintain discipline; yet the etymology implied the training to be disciplined.
I don't think your definition of Buddhism is quite right, either.
To summarize all of Buddhist thought in a single line on a Tweet was tricky.
I think it's more a system of inquiry for realization of non-self and subsequently liberation.
Though some people now perceive Buddhism is about their own internal inquiry; Buddha got up from meditating internally, and went serving people altruistically.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

It's not over 280 characters is it?

PearlSeeker

If you tighten the string too much, it will snap, and if you leave it too slack, it will not play. (Buddha?)