• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am 1/2 Native American (Navajo), I know very little about that since my father was never in my life (he was the NA). As a teen, we moved to a house in Colorado Springs, the Cimarron Hills area. I slept in a downstairs bedroom (which was supposed to be a den, but we didn't need one), everyone else slept in upstairs bedrooms and I used to hear voices at night. These voices did not speak English, but some language I never heard before. Sometimes I would, when the lights were off, see images- very faint ones. I never heard any voices after I left home at age 20. And whenever I came to visit my parents, I felt incredibly uneasy in that room.

What I would like to know if anyone has ever experienced anything like this. Was I crazy when I was teen? Does anyone believe they may be ghosts or spirits or something, that our home was built on some kind of burial site or something? Or was it just the house settling (that has been the most common answer.)

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
Loads of noises you hear at night are caused by the falling temperature causing the wood in the house to contract and creak.

Then there's gusts of wind comming through a partially open window or vent.

In short, there's a longer list of natural causes than supernatural ones.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Well, I suppose I am biased since I don't believe in ghosts, but I'd agree with Phasmid. What he said sounds pretty reasonable. Or maybe you were just hearing stuff that wasn't there. I've done that before.

Rakhel

I don't think you ever were crazy Christine. I do believe and have seen my fair share of the paranormal(ghosts and what-not)
Children are more susceptible to things that as adults we consider unnatural. Your Navaho heritage may have had more to do with what you were seeing than any graveyard your house may have been sitting. Explore your heritage and remember it.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I hear faint voices in my room at night. I can never quite make out what they are saying, but it sounds distinctly like a whispering woman's voice and a whispering man's voice. It's very eery. Strangely, when I turn off the air purifier, the voices instantly disappear.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
One night, my brother and I were talking in my room. Everyone else was asleep. Right after my brother went to bed, I heard a conversation between two males- I thought my brother and stepfather were having a conversation and left it at that. The next morning I asked my brother what he was talking to my stepfather about and he said he didn't even see him- that he just went straight to bed. The heater wasn't running and we didn't have any air conditioning in the house(didn't need it).
I agree, there is a good possibility that it was just the house settling- but sometimes I do wonder if there were spirits.
I am risking a lot telling anyone about this- this is the first time in more than 25 years that I ever brought it up to anyone. I didn't want anyone to think I was either insane or just plain superstitious. ;) :D

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
You're definitely not crazy. Our brains work in such a way that they are always attempting to find patterns in randomness - be it aural, visual, etc. The trick is being able to analyze and determine when this is happening, despite what your senses are telling you.

Also, it seems when your focus is on one particular sense, that this is even more likely to happen. If you think you're hearing voices, and you strain to listen, you will more often than not hear what you are expecting to.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
What atotalstranger said.

Nothing crazy or delusional about it at all. The brain seeks patterns and fills in gaps when there are ambiguities, often tricking iself into preceiving something that's not an accurate assessment or is just plain not there.

I posted a similar ghostly experience I had as a kid here, and I'm always intrigued how these stories tend to take place at night when you're falling asleep. Hypnagogic sleep can come with some intense and seemingly real hallucinations.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
So, what your saying it this: I hear unusual sounds, my mind, not knowing what they are, interprets them as voices, even though they are not. That makes sense. I thought that story about the man dying on the roof seemed kind of strange, so strange it makes sense that someone just made it up.

.lava

Veteran Member
according to my knowledge they are jinns who's living in that house. souls of people who died could not stay in here. they go somewhere else. jinns may look like human. they may look like anything they want actually.

abrech

I believe you. Just offering a few possibilities:

There are certain minerals and substances that will catch sound and play it back or reflect it, like quartz will do that. I have only recently heard of this. I can't remember what tv show I saw this on. The house was sitting on top of a huge quartz deposit. They were hearing all kinds of voices and sounds. Once the owners realized it, they learned to live with it and now ignore it.

Sometimes old houses will expand and contract. You can have all these popping and creeking noises. Or you can have a bush or tree brushing against the outside of the house. How's your hearing? Could you be picking up on a conversation from the house next door? I'll use me as an example, I have great hearing and can hear a high-pitched sound emited by some scanners.

How is your sleep? Changes in temperature, lighting, textures, fabrics, noises and the fluffiness of a bed or a pillow can disrupt or disturb sleep. We all need REM sleep.

But there is also a spiritual realm that can't be ignored. I can't remember a time that I haven't been aware of the spiritual realm. I don't know your beliefs. Do you ever read from the bible out loud? Do you pray each day? If for some reason it should go beyond just voices, you can tell it to stop in the name of Jesus. It worked for me.

I would never think you're crazy. I believe you. I had very bad experiences when I was a teenager. But so far, you're just hearing voices. That's why I offered a few alternatives.

Pleasant dreams and God bless, :sleep:
Mar

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
First off, sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I really want to give my take on this as well. Stories like this have always fascinated and intrigued me, mostly due to the "mystery" factor involved.

For starters, I fully believe what you are saying, and I don't suspect that you are crazy or suffering from any mental disorders; it would have been discovered and diagnosed, given how long ago the incident happened. I'll also offer my view on this both from a religious standpoint and a natural one.

I don't think the burial site had anything to do with it. I believe the dead are no longer connected to this world. Once we die, we can't go back or connect with the people living in this world whatsoever, so that rules out "spirits" roaming the area.

That leaves what some people call "ghosts", or, in Islamic terms, djinn. I believe it could have been that the house was frequented by djinns, and that's what caused the sightings of faint images along with the voices that you heard. Why they might have roamed the area is beyond me, but I don't think
there's a fixed reason that we can put our hands on for that. They just did, and it could have been due to one or more of various reasons. Of course, there are other possibilities as well, which I'll get to now.

Now, I'm not an expert on this stuff, but as some other posters pointed out, it may be that the creaking sound of wood came off as two people talking, but I don't really favor this stance, as creaking is pretty unlikely to connect as a coherent voice in someone's ears.

As for the fainting images, I can't say that I really know what could have caused them, then again, as I said earlier, I'm far from being an expert or anything. ;)

Last edited:
I am 1/2 Native American (Navajo), I know very little about that since my father was never in my life (he was the NA). As a teen, we moved to a house in Colorado Springs, the Cimarron Hills area. I slept in a downstairs bedroom (which was supposed to be a den, but we didn't need one), everyone else slept in upstairs bedrooms and I used to hear voices at night. These voices did not speak English, but some language I never heard before. Sometimes I would, when the lights were off, see images- very faint ones. I never heard any voices after I left home at age 20. And whenever I came to visit my parents, I felt incredibly uneasy in that room.

What I would like to know if anyone has ever experienced anything like this. Was I crazy when I was teen? Does anyone believe they may be ghosts or spirits or something, that our home was built on some kind of burial site or something? Or was it just the house settling (that has been the most common answer.)

House settling? I think you put too much stock in your own senses and personal beliefs. You might say well what else should I put stock in?

Exactly. :)

I do not think you are crazy by any stretch of the imagination and nor do I believe in ghosts or spirits. (I don't even believe that what you were hearing was the house settling)

Realistically nothing I believe has anything to do with what you believe but we can get coffee and talk about it. :) (Or a beer/wine) Depends on the time. My point is really this: We all go through a lot of things and we make sense and remember them in our own ways and a lot of that has to do with our upbringing and background. I don't fault you for your interpretation as we are all going to have our own version of that. I do however believe in a method that transcends our own personal experience in the sense that if I describe it to an unbeliever they can perform the same experiment and conclude the same belief and result and regardless of our personal beliefs we can agree on results obtained by such a system. :)

monarchdianne

I have had simular experiences right after watching a television show that deals with the paranormal, when I turn off the TV, its quite and dark, the mind seems to wander and I feel I am hearing or seeing things that I know is not happening, the harder I try to desifer what I think I was hearing the more I hear things not there.

Ares

from the Blood tribe
wow I feel like a freak show. ive experienced paranormal things all my life. definitely not mentioning what here.