• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@Jayhawker Soule, this was asked in a thread that was moved to a non-debate section but I have a question for you.....

Your Bible translates Isaiah 7:14 as:

Therefore, Jehovah himself will give you a sign: Look! The young woman* will become pregnant and will give birth to a son, ...​

On what grounds do you justify the rendering "will become pregnant"?

Note, for example, both the Jewish Publication Society and the NRSV translate this as:

,,, the young woman is with child and about to give birth to a son. ...​

Even the Anchor Yale Bible Isaiah 1-39 (Blenkinsopp) reads ...

... the young woman is pregnant and about to give birth to a son ...

Who is this talking about?

According to the Tanakh Isaiah 7:14 reads...

"Therefore, the Lord, of His own, shall give you a sign; behold, the young woman is with child, and she shall bear a son, and she shall call his name Immanuel. ידלָ֠כֵן יִתֵּ֨ן אֲדֹנָ֥י ה֛וּא לָכֶ֖ם א֑וֹת הִנֵּ֣ה הָֽעַלְמָ֗ה הָרָה֙ וְיֹלֶ֣דֶת בֵּ֔ן וְקָרָ֥את שְׁמ֖וֹ עִמָּ֥נוּ אֵֽל:

What are we missing? Who is the child, and who is this 'young woman' who gave birth to him? I find nothing here to suggest that this is not a prophesy about the future like the rest of Isaiah's writings. The sign was that a young woman is with child. Why pick this one verse and ignore the rest of what Isaiah said?

God used Isaiah and his sons as prophetic ‘signs and miracles’ to show that the alliance of Syria and Israel against Judah would fail, but that in time, Judah would go into captivity with only a remnant returning. Was that not prophetic of the future?

Wasn't Isaiah told....
"Now, come write it on a tablet with them, and on a book engrave it, and it shall be for the last day, forever to eternity. חעַתָּ֗ה בּ֣וֹא כָתְבָ֥הּ עַל־ל֛וּחַ אִתָּ֖ם וְעַל־סֵ֣פֶר חֻקָּ֑הּ וּתְהִי֙ לְי֣וֹם אַֽחֲר֔וֹן לָעַ֖ד עַד־עוֹלָֽם"

The sign was....'a maiden will become pregnant and bear a son'. His name? Immanuel (meaning, “With Us Is God”).
So in the rest of his prophesy God is saying through Isaiah......let the combined enemies against Judah take note! “Gird yourselves, and be broken!”
There will be hard times, but then a great light will shine upon God’s people. "For a child has been born to us, a son given to us, and the authority is upon his shoulder, and the wondrous adviser, the mighty God, the everlasting Father, called his name, "the prince of peace." (Isaiah 9:5 Tanakh) Was this not a Messianic prophesy? Was there any timeline stated? Isn't this the same child?

Isaiah 9:6 says...."To him who increases the authority, and for peace without end, on David's throne and on his kingdom, to establish it and to support it with justice and with righteousness; from now and to eternity, the zeal of the Lord of Hosts shall accomplish this."

If this was not a future prophesy, then where is the "peace without end"?....where is the "justice and righteousness from now and to eternity"? Israel has not seen this yet and neither has any other nation.....so how can you say that this is not about the Messiah....that the young maiden was Mary and that she gave birth to the one whom we believe is Jesus the Christ? He fulfilled the prophesies, but he did not fulfill Jewish expectation....does that make him a fraud?

No mention is made about when we could expect to see the fulfillment of these things, which we know now, were thousands of years into the future. God does not operate in earth time....but he does tell us his plans in connection with his people, and the "son" that he would send to bring peace to the earth.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
@Jayhawker Soule, this was asked in a thread that was moved to a non-debate section but I have a question for you.....

Who is this talking about?

According to the Tanakh Isaiah 7:14 reads...

"Therefore, the Lord, of His own, shall give you a sign; behold, the young woman is with child, and she shall bear a son, and she shall call his name Immanuel. ידלָ֠כֵן יִתֵּ֨ן אֲדֹנָ֥י ה֛וּא לָכֶ֖ם א֑וֹת הִנֵּ֣ה הָֽעַלְמָ֗ה הָרָה֙ וְיֹלֶ֣דֶת בֵּ֔ן וְקָרָ֥את שְׁמ֖וֹ עִמָּ֥נוּ אֵֽל:

What are we missing? Who is the child, and who is this 'young woman' who gave birth to him? I find nothing here to suggest that this is not a prophesy about the future like the rest of Isaiah's writings.

That you "find nothing" says very little about the accuracy of the translation.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I used the Tanakh.

But that was a great answer! Very comprehensive and to the point...."I dunno" would have been more meaningful....

Perhaps for you it would have been more satisfying. The fact is that the identity of the almah is irrelevant to the text, a fact that becomes more than a little obvious when one recognizes that the text appears to be referring to a maiden who is already pregnant.

By the way, the Wikipedia entry is pretty good.

Last edited:

Iymus

The way Isaiah 7 Chapter written it seems as though a young woman of marriageable age conceived during that time. NT describes shadow of things to come with body being of Christ so i believe there is no contradiction when that prophecy is quoted in Matthew.

Col 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Perhaps for you it would have been more satisfying. The fact is that the identity of the almah is irrelevant to the text, a fact that becomes more than a little obvious when one recognizes that the text appears to be referring to a maiden who is already pregnant.

Prophesy can be stated as if it’s already happening. No?

“Appears to be”...? We know that God used Isaiah and his wife and children as prophetic types, so nothing can be ruled out. The fact is, Messiah was to come, and he was to fulfil many prophesies.
No one fulfilled those prophesies more than Jesus.

Since part of the sign is that a young woman would become pregnant and give birth, unless that was in some way unusual, why even mention it? Pregnancy was not exactly unusual. It would be most unusual however, if the young woman was a virgin, who had never had relations with a man, and the child she bore was a product of God’s spirt.

By the way, the Wikipedia entry is pretty good.

You want me to get my answer from Wikipedia? I would rather hear it from the horse’s mouth, which is why I asked you.

Still there are some interesting things there....and I quote....

“The word almah has no exact equivalent in English: it probably meant a young girl or woman who had not yet borne a child.[12]So the sign is that:

1. A young girl will conceive (or possibly has conceived and is already pregnant, the Hebrew is ambiguous) and give birth to a son”.
“The almah has been identified as either the mother of Hezekiah or the daughter of Isaiah.[14] There are, however, problems with both candidates: Hezekiah was born well before the war with Ephraim and Syria began, and although almah does not specifically mean virgin, it probably does mean a girl who has not yet had a child, and Isaiah already has a son.”

Not exactly something that is well established then, is it?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The Book of Isaiah really isn't about Jesus but is about the Babylonian Exile and the return. However, many Christian theologians use Isaiah as a sort of "prefiguring" of Jesus.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The Book of Isaiah really isn't about Jesus but is about the Babylonian Exile and the return. However, many Christian theologians use Isaiah as a sort of "prefiguring" of Jesus.

Fortunately, many Christian theologians seem committed to translating the text as honestly as possible. So, for example, the online Catholic Bible offers: "... the young woman is with child and will give birth to a son whom she will call Immanuel."

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Fortunately, many Christian theologians seem committed to translating the text as honestly as possible. So, for example, the online Catholic Bible offers: "... the young woman is with child and will give birth to a son whom she will call Immanuel."

Our NWT quotes Isaiah as....

“Therefore, Jehovah himself will give you a sign: Look! The young woman will become pregnant and will give birth to a son, and she will name him Im·manʹu·el.”

Since there is an admission that “the Hebrew is ambiguous” no one can really say what is “accurate” and what is not...can they?

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/dx/r1/lp-e/1001070127/17913