• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question -- who really looks at the news?

How do you get your daily news?

• Multiple sources, both in print or media -- with different political viewpoints

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Only one source, print or media, that reflects my political stance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only social media

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I listen to what the neighbours think, and try to fit in

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Multiple sources, both in print or media -- with only my preferred political viewpoint

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I don't listen to anybody -- I just know what I think.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Mostly online for me too, apart from some TV news, and although I try to see things from left and right perspectives (as well as the more neutral ones), it is often down to the amount of advertising that many sites insist I see - in which case I depart and not bother with them - and currently it seems to be a fad to disable right-clicking (when one might want to store the url and some information about such), which is annoying but can be overcome. But again, if the site just makes life difficult then bye-bye site - plenty of other sites available.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I've mentioned before that I read several newspapers every day, and distrust social media as a source for what I would call "information." I am curious, though -- how many members do something similar? So there's a brief poll, and then, if you wouldn't mind, please tell me about your response to the poll -- why do you get the information about the world you live in the way that you do, and do you really think it's enough?
I read the Financial Times every day and check BBC, Guardian and Independent websites for stories. Sometimes, for a laugh, I look at the Telegraph (Bozograph), to find out what the harrumphing colonels and Johnson groupies are thinking.:D I don't have a TV and I am not on any social media. But I do participate in another web forum, mainly concerned with science, though inevitably some current affairs get coverage too.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I've mentioned before that I read several newspapers every day, and distrust social media as a source for what I would call "information." I am curious, though -- how many members do something similar? So there's a brief poll, and then, if you wouldn't mind, please tell me about your response to the poll -- why do you get the information about the world you live in the way that you do, and do you really think it's enough?

I don't use social media at all except for work related purposes and beer related purposes.
I frequent multiple news sources online which are well respected, centre-left and centre-right sources, and find the fringier elements in either direction anger and/or depress me.

I also like political satire and comedy. Whilst I don't treat it as news, it does often lead to me searching for more information on a topic.

I also watch some news on tv, but it's limited and selected more for things I can watch with my kids, and promote discussion, etc.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What's the goal of this poll? I can't vote in it because none of the answers fit, but you put this in philosophy @Evangelicalhumanist so I assume you're going to bring in a philosophical point of some sort?

In any case, I mostly look at reputable journalistic outlets that do proper journalism and do their homework. If that's "political" somehow, well... it says some shameful things about the times we live in, I think.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you ever just typed in "Google", and then scroll down? I was shocked to see how personalized it was. There's even been some articles on Iggy Pop and Phish, because my phone even records what I look up on YouTube.

I just tried this.

I got a lot of articles on Google. Nothing personalized at all.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I find it difficult to find good international news. Too much is focused on the US and Europe.

For example, the stuff in Belorussia lately.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
why do you get the information about the world you live in the way that you do

I can't really use information about the world, although it finds me anyway given the amount of time I spend online these days. The sites that I visit that might be considered news are actually just entertainment. Virtually none of it matters, and if the information isn't useful, it's not news - just entertainment.

Sure, I would be interested in reliable COVID numbers, but they just aren't available, and frankly, they wouldn't matter anyway in the sense of causing me to modify my behavior to some benefit, although that story about a bunch of Trump supporters' boats sinking during a tribute to him warmed my soul, as did the comments about losers and suckers. But that's just amusement.

Speaking of which, how about that Howard Dean? Was that funny or what? Just like the sinking boats.

I suppose that most of my "news" comes from a security camera outside the perimeter walls to show me who's making the sounds I am hearing from inside. I especially like horses walking by and kids playing in the street. What else really matters any more? Let me know when a safe and effective vaccine or treatment for COVID appears, otherwise, the world outside is of little interest.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
For real news I'd pick Reuters or AP. For sensational tabloid pieces with half truths and embellishments, I'd say the rest suffices with exception to a few smaller gems out there, and yes that includes Fox in addition to CNN among other mainstream rags that all parrot the same things as if they are from the borg collective.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
My typical daily news consumption comes from Reuters, plus a smattering of other things including the SF Chronicle, LA Times, NY Times, The Atlantic, the New Republic, and a few others. I occasionally look at Fox News or National Review to get an overtly conservative viewpoint. I can't stomach Breitbart, it's too ridiculously over the top, I just can't. I also rely on a news aggregator on my phone that sends me breaking headlines from a variety of sources, often local news but sometimes national.

Also, TBH, I rely on RF to a degree, particularly to hear what the latest talking points on the Right are.
Reuters. Smart man, and I mean that as a compliment.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
It actually has some informative articles. And a *very* different perspective. I don't read it very often, but it can be good as an alternative.

I usually read CNN, Slate, LeMonde, BBC, ArsTechnica, For scientific material, Science Daily News, Google searches, etc.

I should've read further back, you know about it already. :p:D