• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question -- who really looks at the news?

How do you get your daily news?

• Multiple sources, both in print or media -- with different political viewpoints

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Only one source, print or media, that reflects my political stance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only social media

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I listen to what the neighbours think, and try to fit in

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Multiple sources, both in print or media -- with only my preferred political viewpoint

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I don't listen to anybody -- I just know what I think.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I've mentioned before that I read several newspapers every day, and distrust social media as a source for what I would call "information." I am curious, though -- how many members do something similar? So there's a brief poll, and then, if you wouldn't mind, please tell me about your response to the poll -- why do you get the information about the world you live in the way that you do, and do you really think it's enough?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
None of the answers fits. My answer is 'online' including consolidators like Google and Flipboard including a moderate conservative site on a regular basis. The consolidator sites present excerpts from the spectrum.

My news includes not only political but also religious, scientific, humorous and positive news sites.

I have a very few low volume twitter sites and Facebook mostly for friends, humor and "Lights of Kabbalah".

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I look at several sources, and when I read something I check the opposing views. I also talk to people to gauge their ideas on things. Ultimately, though, I wait until something can be verified before accepting it, and even then I don't easily accept it whole heartedly.

There's a lot of misinformation out there, and everyone has a story they try to portray.

Ultimately, though, I do smile to fit in at work. I'm already an open atheist at a christian hospital. No reason to make myself stand out more than I already do. :D

Cooky

Veteran Member
I use the left wing source: Drudge Report. When I get bored with that I just type "google" and a personalized report is displayed based on my search history (which is quite extensive) and area.

I definitely don't get my news from FOX, CNN or any direct source like that.

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member
None of the answers fits. My answer is 'online' including consolidators like Google and Flipboard including a moderate conservative site on a regular basis. The consolidator sites present excerpts from the spectrum.

My news includes not only political but also religious, scientific, humorous and positive news sites.

I have a very few low volume twitter sites and Facebook mostly for friends, humor and "Lights of Kabbalah".

Google is surprisingly good.

Screenshot_20200905-174737_Samsung Internet.jpg

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
TV Fox, CNN, MSN, 11Wpix local, 7 abc local, 41 univision. Radio 101.5 conservative NJ radio. Paper, The NY post, Star ledger, The Atlantic, Local town papers, Online, MSN, CNN, FOX, Yahoo, BBC are the regulars but have been to probably 100's of New's web sites.

Sites like the RF and others will direct me to search out facts from any website.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I've mentioned before that I read several newspapers every day, and distrust social media as a source for what I would call "information." I am curious, though -- how many members do something similar? So there's a brief poll, and then, if you wouldn't mind, please tell me about your response to the poll -- why do you get the information about the world you live in the way that you do, and do you really think it's enough?

If it's something that affects my life and environment, I look at multiple resources. For example the COVID thing and the trump issues, mostly things like health-websites (so internet sources from good foundation-aka no Wiki, Blogs, and CNN news). I don't listen to people's opinions as facts because of the bias involved. Like religion, there's a tendency to try to "get me on their side" so I avoid it or don't comment if I can't get away from it like I can this computer screen. If it does not make sense to me, regardless the source, I won't go for it. I have to make sense of it beyond the facts in order to derive opinions about it. Always been like that. Someone from math can tell me two and two is four all they want but if I can't see how they get that solution, I won't believe them till I know it does.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I use consolidators, including google, check network news, local news periodically, the 'news' channels.

I find there is actually little news reporting, most of what I see would have been inadequate when I was a journalist.

Cooky

Veteran Member
I think it's funny that I typically am attracted to news that I disagree with. I don't need to know what like-minded people think... I already know they're going to say things similar to me, or slightly less interesting than me... I don’t need them. :)

With Google, I can typically learn new things about scientific discoveries. Which is a kind of fun thing, like new music. I also do history searches and read about Philosophers and their ideas sometimes.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Most of my online news sources are left to center. Firefox bookmarks I check pretty much daily are BBC, The Guardian, Al Jazeera-English, Libération and Politico.

I don't belong to any social media like Facebook. RF and Talk Freethought are my only internet forum bookmarks. Most of my center to right exposure comes through these, as many posts send me googling all over the place for hours, reading info on whatever topic's being discussed (Retired -- too much of time on my hands :oops:).

I listen to Radio a lot, a lot on programs on NPR channels, and aIso watch a lot of PBS on TV. These offer a mixed bag of opinions, documentaries and commentary.

The only news magazine I'm still subscribed to is The Nation, now that I get so much content online.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Most of my online news sources are left to center. Firefox bookmarks I check pretty much daily are BBC, The Guardian, Al Jazeera-English, Libération and Politico.

I don't belong to any social media like Facebook. RF and Talk Freethought are my only internet forum bookmarks. Most of my center to right exposure comes through these, as many posts send me googling all over the place for hours, reading info on whatever topic's being discussed (Retired -- too much of time on my hands :oops:).

I listen to Radio a lot, a lot on programs on NPR channels, and aIso watch a lot of PBS on TV. These offer a mixed bag of opinions, documentaries and commentary.

The only news magazine I'm still subscribed to is The Nation, now that I get so much content online.

Al-Jazeera..!?!

Yuck.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Al-Jazeera..!?!

Yuck.

It actually has some informative articles. And a *very* different perspective. I don't read it very often, but it can be good as an alternative.

I usually read CNN, Slate, LeMonde, BBC, ArsTechnica, For scientific material, Science Daily News, Google searches, etc.

Cooky

Veteran Member
It actually has some informative articles. And a *very* different perspective. I don't read it very often, but it can be good as an alternative.

I usually read CNN, Slate, LeMonde, BBC, ArsTechnica, For scientific material, Science Daily News, Google searches, etc.

Have you ever just typed in "Google", and then scroll down? I was shocked to see how personalized it was. There's even been some articles on Iggy Pop and Phish, because my phone even records what I look up on YouTube.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I picked door #1, Monty.
There is no source for my perspective.
So I keep any eye on the opposition...both sides.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Have you ever just typed in "Google", and then scroll down? I was shocked to see how personalized it was. There's even been some articles on Iggy Pop and Phish, because my phone even records what I look up on YouTube.

Type in google ... where ? In google search ?

amorphous_constellation

I think the best way is to look at two sources that disagree, examine both, and then take that information and make up your own mind. That makes into a form of work, but there's no avoiding it.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

My typical daily news consumption comes from Reuters, plus a smattering of other things including the SF Chronicle, LA Times, NY Times, The Atlantic, the New Republic, and a few others. I occasionally look at Fox News or National Review to get an overtly conservative viewpoint. I can't stomach Breitbart, it's too ridiculously over the top, I just can't. I also rely on a news aggregator on my phone that sends me breaking headlines from a variety of sources, often local news but sometimes national.

Also, TBH, I rely on RF to a degree, particularly to hear what the latest talking points on the Right are.