• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

question to other people about reincarnation and family

trablano

Hello,

I'm currently deeply looking into hinduism and spend time trying to find a positive synthesis between it and my old christianity.

But I'm perplexed by the question of reincarnation viz wanting to be together with my family. I've loved my dad a lot but he died 7 years ago as an atheist. He always followed the common understanding of what a good man is doing with life. But when I still was so impressed inwardly about the fundamentalist understanding of christianity I thought maybe God would condemn my father to hell for his unbelief, or at least didn't let him live in Heaven. So maybe my problems come from this indoctrination.

How do hinduists see that? I'm really not very learned in this religion and have only read some of the Bhagavad Gita, a general introduction to hinduism and listened to songs and mantras and did some prayers. Can families and friends see each other again after death and can there be forgiveness from Krishna or Yama (I thought he is the god of death in hinduism, right?) after death when they didn't do everything right and didn't believe in God in their earthly lives?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Hello,

I'm currently deeply looking into hinduism and spend time trying to find a positive synthesis between it and my old christianity.

But I'm perplexed by the question of reincarnation viz wanting to be together with my family. I've loved my dad a lot but he died 7 years ago as an atheist. He always followed the common understanding of what a good man is doing with life. But when I still was so impressed inwardly about the fundamentalist understanding of christianity I thought maybe God would condemn my father to hell for his unbelief, or at least didn't let him live in Heaven. So maybe my problems come from this indoctrination.

How do hinduists see that? I'm really not very learned in this religion and have only read some of the Bhagavad Gita, a general introduction to hinduism and listened to songs and mantras and did some prayers. Can families and friends see each other again after death and can there be forgiveness from Krishna or Yama (I thought he is the god of death in hinduism, right?) after death when they didn't do everything right and didn't believe in God in their earthly lives?
Not all Hindus think the same on anything but here is my view on your questions.

Basically, I have what I think you will find as good news regarding your questions above.

When we die, our astral/mental bodies reside for a lengthy time on the astral/mental plane appropriate for our level of development. We will meet many loved ones again. Our beliefs during our life on religious questions are not really important in comparison to the quality of our hearts and minds (brotherly love, etc.). After a time of enjoying and growing on this spiritual plane our Higher Selves will recognize the need for more experiences (reincarnation) to further the learning and growing.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hello,

I'm fairly familiar with reincarnation on a personal belief level. Often family members do stick together because of wishing it that way at the point of death. My grandfather, for example, is now my nephew. There were signs.

In Hinduism it is the soul that reincarnates, not the individual identity of this lifetime. So if you did see someone on the other side, so to speak, it wouldn't be the person, but the soul, and you'd only recognise them at that deeper level, of which most of us, being so attached to this ego/personality, are largely unaware of.

trablano

Thanks for your points of view. I'm thinking you represent both ends of the spectrum? I feel like can both be true? That we can stay in Heaven or reincarnate according to our self's and the gods' wish?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Thanks for your points of view. I'm thinking you represent both ends of the spectrum? I feel like can both be true? That we can stay in Heaven or reincarnate according to our self's and the gods' wish?
From a reincarnational perspective, once we've finished our time on Earth, we drop our physical bodies to review that learning in another plane. Once we've finished that review it's time to be reborn. It's possible that some might want to postpone rebirth and perhaps they can for a time but not forever. Someone once said jokingly: The living don't want to die and those who are dead don't want to be reborn and go through adolescence again.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

In traditional Hinduism, we reincarnate, until all karmas are resolved, nirvikalpa samadi happens, and moksha is achieved. Of course there are tons of more liberal interpretations combining aspects of both Abrahamic and dharmic ideas. So its a matter of belief. Personally, I'm a traditional Hindu.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Salam,

There is no such thing as reincarnation. Billions of people have died and you would expect Tens of Millions of people to recall past lives, yet we see nothing of the sort. People say, their cousin has links to their grandfather, well I'm sure that's in some small way related to 'genetics'.

Hinduism used as Spiritual uplifting of the mind and combined with yoga is beneficial. I wouldn't recommend opening your Chakras if you have mental health issues though, especially if you aren't under the guidance of a proper tutor.

Peace to you all

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Salam,

There is no such thing as reincarnation. Billions of people have died and you would expect Tens of Millions of people to recall past lives, yet we see nothing of the sort. People say, their cousin has links to their grandfather, well I'm sure that's in some small way related to 'genetics'.

Hinduism used as Spiritual uplifting of the mind and combined with yoga is beneficial. I wouldn't recommend opening your Chakras if you have mental health issues though, especially if you aren't under the guidance of a proper tutor.

Peace to you all

Yes, Muslims don't believe in reincarnation. Where are you when people tell us that all religions believe the same thing, lol?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I had similar thoughts about reincarnation. Now I don't care for the concept all that much, although it does explain certain things in my life. I would rather be with my loved ones. But maybe we choose to come back and meet up with our loved ones throughout different lives. You can combine the two. Either way, I don't want to come back after I die, at least for a long time.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
From a reincarnational perspective, once we've finished our time on Earth, we drop our physical bodies to review that learning in another plane. Once we've finished that review it's time to be reborn. It's possible that some might want to postpone rebirth and perhaps they can for a time but not forever. Someone once said jokingly: The living don't want to die and those who are dead don't want to be reborn and go through adolescence again.

By some saying ' finished our time on Earth ' sounds as if they are teaching that Earth is just a stepping stone to another place.
For father Adam, Earth was Not a stepping stone, but was meant to be his eternal or everlasting earthly home.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
By some saying ' finished our time on Earth ' sounds as if they are teaching that Earth is just a stepping stone to another place.
For father Adam, Earth was Not a stepping stone, but was meant to be his eternal or everlasting earthly home.
Weren't Adam and Eve, peace be upon them, initially in Heaven before they were sent 'down' to Earth to toil for a time?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

As you're a professed Christian, then according to Jesus' Christian teachings it is belief in a resurrection which is quite different from reincarnation.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Weren't Adam and Eve, peace be upon them, initially in Heaven before they were sent 'down' to Earth to toil for a time?

According to what I read in Genesis 2:7 Adam was initially just dirt.
Adam was made ( formed ) from the dust of the Earth.
At death Adam simply returned to the dust of the ground according to Genesis 3:19.
So, Adam went from non-life, to life, and ' returned ' back to non-life.
A person can Not ' return ' to a place he never was before.

If Adam had Not broken God's Law there would be No ' toil for a time '.......

Last edited:

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
According to what I read in Genesis 2:7 Adam was initially just dirt.
Adam was made ( formed ) from the dust of the Earth.
At death Adam simply returned to the dust of the ground according to Genesis 3:19.
So, Adam went from non-life, to life, and ' returned ' back to non-life.
A person can Not ' return ' to a place he never was before.

If Adam had Not broken God's Law there would be No ' toil for a time '.......
Islamic Commentators agree Heaven was not here on Earth.

Get you down (upon the earth), all of you together, from Paradise, some of you are an enemy to some others. Then, if there comes to you guidance from Me, whoever follows My Guidance shall neither go astray, nor fall into distress and misery.” Qur'an 20:123

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yes, Muslims don't believe in reincarnation. Where are you when people tell us that all religions believe the same thing, lol?

I am wondering what are your thoughts about inheriting the ' land ' (earth) SURAH XXI 105; SURAH XXXIX 73-74
I find that Revelation 22:2 is talking about a return to the ' Garden' ( Edenic like paradisical conditions on Earth )
In Genesis we are introduced to the ' tree of life ', and at Revelation 22:2 we read about the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' for the healing of earth's nations. Earth's nations being right here on Earth.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I am wondering what are your thoughts about inheriting the ' land ' (earth) SURAH XXI 105; SURAH XXXIX 73-74
I find that Revelation 22:2 is talking about a return to the ' Garden' ( Edenic like paradisical conditions on Earth )
In Genesis we are introduced to the ' tree of life ', and at Revelation 22:2 we read about the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' for the healing of earth's nations. Earth's nations being right here on Earth.
Sorry, I have no thoughts on that. I'm a Hindu. Christian scripture has no relevance to me.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Islamic Commentators agree Heaven was not here on Earth.
Get you down (upon the earth), all of you together, from Paradise, some of you are an enemy to some others. Then, if there comes to you guidance from Me, whoever follows My Guidance shall neither go astray, nor fall into distress and misery.” Qur'an 20:123

I find that the earthly Garden of Eden was paradise for Adam and Eve.
Revelation 22:2 is talking about the return of paradise-like conditions on Earth because earth's nations will be healed.
Thus Jesus fulfills God's promise to father Abraham that ALL families of Earth will be blessed, and ALL nations of Earth will be blessed. Blessed with the benefit of healing for earth's nations when No one will say, " I am sick......" according to Isaiah 33:24.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Sorry, I have no thoughts on that. I'm a Hindu. Christian scripture has no relevance to me.

Thank you for your reply. My mistake and apology.
I have had talks with one Hindu man and really appreciated how respectful he (and his family) were.
Best of wishes to You.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

The ^ above ^ is meant for Muslim-UK, sorry for any confusion.