• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question to Catholics: Is Adolf Hitler a Christian?

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
Recently I ran into a statement insinuating that Adolf Hitler was a Christian... quoted by my discussion partner.

As a Catholic, do you see him as a Christian?

Here on RF, one of your brothers once said, the Catholic Church was blameless.

Before you say it's obvious that he wasn't a Christian, consider that he was baptized into the Catholic Church and never was excummunicated. He never left the Catholic Church.
---------------------
While the Catholic Church does excommunicate people, for instance for what they call false teaching, they did not excommunicate Hitler and his servants.

As blameless as the Catholic church portrays itself to be, they did not find a reason to regret not having kicked him out. Until today. This is at least to the best of my knowledge.

The pope knew what was going on, that there was a holocaust. https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-consent/?next_url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/04/29/vatican-pope-pius-records-holocaust/

edited for clarity

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Recently I ran into a statement insinuating that Adolf Hitler was a Christian... quoted by my discussion partner.

Before you say it's obvious that he wasn't, consider that he was baptized into the Catholic chruch and never was excummunicated. He never left the Catholic Church.
---------------------
While the Catholic Church does excommunicate people, for instance for what they call false teaching, they did not excommunicate Hitler and his servants.

As blameless as the Catholic church portrays itself to be, they did not find a reason to regret not having kicked him out. Until today. This is at least to the best of my knowledge.

The pope knew what was going on, that there was a holocaust. https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-consent/?next_url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/04/29/vatican-pope-pius-records-holocaust/

I am not Catholic, christian or even religious so should i be replying to this thread? It's not a DIR so i guess its ok to have a say.

As you say, Hitler was baptised into the Catholic church and has never been excommunicated for his crimes against humanity. Although a 14 year old rape victim can be kicked out for having an abortion.

There is considerable evidence to back up the "claim" of his religion. His writings for one. He insisted his troops (mostly protestant) were blessed by a Catholic priest before battle. He emblazoned nazi equipment with "Gott Mit Uns" god with us. He "occasionally" went to church, not many countries leader's can say that.

I won't go on with the evidences but leave it there.

Cooky

Veteran Member

Before you say it's obvious that he wasn't a Christian, consider that he was baptized into the Catholic Church and never was excummunicated. He never left the Catholic Church.
---------------------

edited for clarity

Why should the CC have excommunicated Hitler?

Cooky

Veteran Member
I'm not joking.

The CC doesn't exconmunicate people simply because they've sinned, or based on the gravity of their sins.

...There is no level of sin that one must surpass that qualifies them for excommunication. It's the rejection of pastoral guidance, that qualifies one for excomnunication, and usually, it's reserved for clergy.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

---------------------

edited for clarity
He would be considered a lapsed Catholic. If you're not practicing Catholicism and especially if you personally reject the faith, you're automatically excommunicated. Excommunication simply means you're not in communion with the Church, have done something to break your relationship with it and would need to repent and do penance to be brought back into communion with the Church. The Vatican really only issues official declarations of excommunication if, for example, someone is teaching errors or heresy and claiming it's permissible for Catholics to believe it. So it's mostly something that happens to clerics. It's rare.

Hitler obviously rejected Christianity per his own personal statements. So he was technically an apostate, which incurs automatic excommunication. I'm in the same boat with him when it comes to this. But the Church will always count us as Catholic due to our baptisms, which it sees as irrevocable. Hence, "lapsed Catholic" not "ex-Catholic". (It's a convenient way for them to artificially inflate their membership numbers. There are not 1 billion practicing Catholics in the world.)

Cooky

Veteran Member
He would be considered a lapsed Catholic. If you're not practicing Catholicism and especially if you personally reject the faith, you're automatically excommunicated. Excommunication simply means you're not in communion with the Church, have done something to break your relationship with it and would need to repent and do penance to be brought back into communion with the Church. The Vatican really only issues official declarations of excommunication if, for example, someone is teaching errors or heresy and claiming it's permissible for Catholics to believe it. So it's mostly something that happens to clerics. It's rare.

Hitler obviously rejected Christianity per his own personal statements. So he was technically an apostate, which incurs automatic excommunication. I'm in the same boat with him when it comes to this. But the Church will always count us as Catholic due to our baptisms, which it sees as irrevocable. Hence, "lapsed Catholic" not "ex-Catholic". (It's a convenient way for them to artificially inflate their membership numbers. There are not 1 billion practicing Catholics in the world.)

I am also a lapsed Catholic, not in Communion with the Church.

ecco

Veteran Member
.There is no level of sin that one must surpass that qualifies them for excommunication. It's the rejection of pastoral guidance, that qualifies one for excomnunication, and usually, it's reserved for clergy.
That's kind of the point. There was no pastoral guidance from the Vatican against killing 6,000,000 humans.

Love God

That ‘assumes’ that Roman Catholicism is ‘Christian’...
I could buy a castle, move in, call myself royalty. It does not make it so.

Just ask that (in)famous Roman Catholic propagandist, Josef Goebbels, who said (paraphrased): ‘Tell a lie long enough, often enough, pretty soon the people will start to believe.’

Can you give the definition of Christian? What it means to be Christian?
---------------------
Why is the Roman Catholic Church the ‘final authority’ on anything?

edited for clarity

Altfish

Veteran Member

Change the word Hitler for Trump
The Christian Church in the US mainly backs Trump - yet he has shown more than enough to prove he is not religious at all.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
In the Catholic Church's view, excommunication doesn't make a person not a Christian. In their view, anyone who has been validly baptized is permanently, irrevocably, Christian.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

You appear to be using an equivocation fallacy here because there is a clear process of excommunication from the Catholic church where a member is in effect banned until he makes amends. That was never done to Hitler. Amazingly even if excommunicated that person is still considered to be a Christian:

Excommunication (Catholic Church) - Wikipedia

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
You appear to be using an equivocation fallacy here because there is a clear process of excommunication from the Catholic church where a member is in effect banned until he makes amends. That was never done to Hitler. Amazingly even if excommunicated that person is still considered to be a Christian:

Excommunication (Catholic Church) - Wikipedia
I'm not using any "fallacy" (wtf). That's just how the Church views it. Take it or leave it.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Ultimately, I'm not sure what the formal Excomnunication of Hitler would have done. He's surely in hell regardless.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
But they don't. My source refuted your claim. Don't get angry because you we're shown to be wrong. You might have merely made an error instead of using A fallacy.
I'm not angry. You just don't know what you're talking about. I mentioned official excommunications, and that they're rare. However, you are considered to have excommunicated yourself from communion with the Church when you commit a major sin, such as apostacy. That's why you have to repent and do penance before you can have access to the sacraments again. You can come to Mass, but shouldn't be taking communion.