• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question to all members about if Amanaki have been proselyting

Are Amanaki Guilty of proselyting ?

• Yes. And he should resign from forum

• Yes. But he can stay.

• No, I dont feel Amanaki have done wrong.

• No, But he should stop if someone feel he does.

• Maybe He would be better off in different forum.

Results are only viewable after voting.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
1) I see we all have the ability to find the Truth, relative to the age we live in, that is given in all the Religions from God.
2) I see we need to find our true selves and that will answer the question for each of us.
3) The only way we can find that potential, what makes us more than animal, is education. If the above is true, we need to be educated as to how to find it all within our own selves.

Regards Tony
Thank you Tony for answering,

Perfectly said in a very concise and easy, for me;), to understand way. I 100% agree with you.

stvdv

We all promote what we believe. So if you are proselytizing, we all are.
I don't see that logic.

Promote what we believe does not equal proselytizing.

If someone promotes something, I see it as him being enthusiastic about it; him being enthusiastic even gives me a good feeling. Does not mean nor imply that it's the best or the only option, or that it's best for all.

So, I see no problem with others promoting things. Even if others promote their faith or Atheism feels good. It's more "how they phrase it"

Proselytizing starts for me when they cross that line, making such bold arrogant and unscientific unproven claims (e.g.: "my way is the highway" + "it's also your highway" + "it's for all")

Luckily such claims can be easily proven wrong. So it's not really damaging for a logical person. But this arrogant approach is the cause for lots of anger in the world.

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
1) No, I do not know what the Truth is
2) No, I do not have an opinion about what the Truth is (follows 1)
3) No, I do not have an opinion on what other people should or should not do (as long as they follow RF Rules)
4) I just claimed that others should follow RF Rules when being on RF. This implies that the claim "my way is the highway for all" is 'wrong' to use on RF. That is all I said all the time. This has nothing to do with me debating on Truth or me trying to impose my view on others. It's just applying RF Rules.

Within RF Rules:
I decide what is good for me
I let others decide what is good for them

Using IMHO when sharing my view is what the RF Rules tell us to do. I think these Rules are excellent, hence I love to apply them.

:facepalm: For a guy who doesn't want to insist on his own way, Jesus you sure seem to like telling people they're wrong.

Let's review how this conversation started, shall we?

The point of "spiritual debate forum" could be to learn the lesson "drop the arrogant attitude of 'my way is the highway' "

But even that is the promotion of a spiritual view. :shrug:

NO

I call this just "being a decent human being"

The one not indulging in arrogance

Just about some core Human Values

So yes, you are claiming to know what is and is not true - that people who make religious truth claims are "arrogant" and this is a "core human value." Those are religious truth claims.

As a function of this, you are arguing that people should not say "my way is the highway" and instead should say, "IMHO this is what works for me." Which is a function of your religious beliefs.

You are now saying that you're just complying with RF rules. But the whole reason you are promoting this rule is because it aligns with your religious beliefs - you admitted this, in this thread.

And so even as you argue that the rule shouldn't change, you're doing exactly what you're insisting shouldn't be allowed - arguing with others that they should accept and act in accordance with your religious view.

Which for the last time, I think is perfectly acceptable and should be allowed.

Have the last word if you like.

stvdv

As a function of this, you are arguing that people should not say "my way is the highway" and instead should say, "IMHO this is what works for me." Which is a function of your religious beliefs.
NO !
I said "do NOT impose your belief on me". I am fine if you believe "my way is my highway"

(You are free to let others impose their belief on you)
(I am free to let others not impose their belief on me)
If there comes someone to hit you in the face. The first defense is to convince him not to hit you in the face. The next defense might be to avoid such a person. Another defense might be to hit him in the face first. One's faith is one's most intimate feeling; so it's worse to belittle another's faith than to hit him in the face.
(So I will also never belittle Atheist faith/view or Humanist for that matter)

Someone imposing his spiritual views on others, unasked and knowing it's not welcome, commits an act of violence. As such it's a natural first defense to tell them they should stop. No one has the right to hurt others (who did not do anything wrong). They have the option to hurt, but not the right to hurt

So yes, you are claiming to know what is and is not true - that people who make religious truth claims are "arrogant" and this is a "core human value." Those are religious truth claims.
NO !
The arrogant part here is "Others telling me/other what I/others should believe"

Which for the last time, I think is perfectly acceptable and should be allowed.
Have the last word if you like.
Okay !
So, it seems we think differently on this one. Let's agree to disagree on this one.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I want to be 100% open to all members here, There has been some indication from a few members that they feel me Proselyte about Falun Gong. And since it is against the RF rules, it would be very good both to me and to you if you could be fully honest and say if you feel I have been proselyting to the extent that I should be reported for it (feel free to report me)

What I speak of in this forum are and will be about cultivation of Falun Gong, and some see it as proselyting, I have been given advice from one member (i do not give the name in this thread) that maybe another forum more directly related to Falun Gong would be better for me, and I see this as a good advice.

So I put out a poll. feel free to give an honest poll answer :) I don't get offended if it shows the majority feels I been proselyting. then I just need to agree with mods how they see my future in the forum. (mods, please vote too)
I think that when people say that you’re proselytizing, if it isn’t a moderator decision, all it means is that they don’t like the part of what you’re doing, that they’re calling “proselytizing.” If you want to, as part of your community service, you can try to understand why they don’t like it, and maybe find some new ways to do whatever you’re trying to do, that they might like better.
(edited to correct a typo)

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I do not think talking about your own experiences with any philosophy amounts to proselytizing. It only becomes so when you urge others to take it up, on the basis of your say-so.