• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question time! Which do you follow? Truth or...

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Do you follow the religion you perceive as truth or something that suits you? Or perhaps you follow one in a happy middle (lucky you)! Which is more important?

I was wondering because I need to set my priorities right plus it might help other seekers look at the opinions and set their own priority. :D

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
IMHO, follow what you perceive as truth.
Tastes can change.
Then again, so can truths.

My opinion is: look at the one that you see as truth as priority, as your habits and such may change slightly anyway. However, if it makes you miserable, it's not for you to follow -- even if you share some [or all] of those views.

Spirituality shouldn't make one sad or angry, even guilty is too awkward for me personally.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Tastes can change.

My opinion is: look at the one that you see as truth as priority, as your habits and such may change slightly anyway. However, if it makes you miserable, it's not for you to follow -- even if you share some [or all] of those views.

Spirituality shouldn't make one sad or angry, even guilty is too awkward for me personally.

I agree with Odion.

In my situation, for example, I was drawn to Judaism because it felt right to me (I hesitate to say it's the truth, because I don't there is a single religion that has the market covered).
But the idea of following the laws was strange to me; at first I resolved to follow them because they are a part of Judaism, albeit a part I wasn't enthusiastic about.

But as I've studied Judaism and have become part of the community, I've changed. Now I see the laws as a way to incorporate God into my daily life, and I look for ways to observe even more.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Do you follow the religion you perceive as truth or something that suits you? Or perhaps you follow one in a happy middle (lucky you)! Which is more important?

I was wondering because I need to set my priorities right plus it might help other seekers look at the opinions and set their own priority. :D
I follow the religion I do because it rings true to me. I suppose I could say that I believe Mormonism to be true because I want to believe it's true, but that would make it appear as if I haven't given the matter much thought. That is absolutely not the case. I sincerely believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and was sent to earth to make it possible for me to return to God's presence, free of sin. That makes me a Christian, at least as I interpret the word "Christian." Mormonism answers the questions that mankind has asked over two millenia, and does so in a way that I find satisfying. It is internally consistent, Christ-focused, and provides me with direction and guidance I would be unable to find in any other Christian denomination. The way Mormonism explains the nature of God, the Father's relationship to His Son, and our relationship to them, and the whole purpose behind our existance makes a whole lot more sense to me than what I see in traditional Christianity. I am convinced that Jesus Christ really did establish His Church here on earth, that after His death and the deaths of His apostles, men changed it. I am also convinced that He personally re-established it on earth in these days.

If I were ever to leave Mormonism, I honestly don't know where I'd go. I would feel so empty and in limbo. Culturally, the break would not be the issue for me. My only sibling, my only son, and my only daughter, all of whom were raised LDS, are no longer practicing, so I certainly can't say my decision would bring about friction in my family. I have plenty of non-LDS friends, so that would not be a problem for me, either. Socially and culturally, I am considerably more liberal than the majority of Mormons I know, so a break with the Church would actually have certain positive implications for me. But it would also leave me without anything to believe in, because I have already eliminated all of my other options. I would absolutely not be able to find satisfaction in any other Christian denomination. The way I see it, if Mormonism isn't true, it should be. :)

horizon_mj1

I see views from religions as being "suited" to groups of people, but the Truth is either too hard to conceive or hypocritical to most religions. There are laws of man and laws of Divinity; some of theses laws agree, but more are disillusioned through the various religions. One thing I just cannot get over is the concept of The Divine having any "restrictions"; to me just by placing a gender is likewise placing a restriction. Back to your question, by seeking factual truths as well as similarities from several different resources is what "suits" me. I am not sure were this places me on the spectrum of circumstance, but IMO Truth is the only right answer to any question.

iwannaknow

So wait, are some of you saying then, that you are with your current religion (jewish, lds, were mentioned) and your not sure if you beieve it is the TRUTH?

Why believe anything if you do not support it as the truth?
Can you pick and choose from a religion and believe mostly what it teaches?
What is the point?
I am a Jehovahs Witness, and although I have seen and read for years reasons why others view it as false I could NEVER stay with it if I didnt wholeheartedly believe it was TRUTH.
strange concept to me

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So wait, are some of you saying then, that you are with your current religion (jewish, lds, were mentioned) and your not sure if you beieve it is the TRUTH?
I'm LDS and I'm convinced that what I believe is true. Unlike some people, though, I am willing to admit that regardless of how strong my convictions are, I am not omniscient; therefore, I could be wrong.

Tastes can change.

How does truth change? If we discover something we thought was true isn't then it was never true. Truth is an absolute!

Greetings kitty,

Is there a distinction in "willingness" to believe and "trying" to believe?

What is truly believed manifests itself.

Awareness of one's interactions can/might lead to awareness of one's true convictions. Willingness to grow along this line may lead to being aware of what one already knows.

just my boggy nickle,
best regards,
swampy

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
How does truth change? If we discover something we thought was true isn't then it was never true. Truth is an absolute!
There is a difference between "Truth", as in the absolute truth, and personal truths (which are, in effect, simply what boil down to what you believe to be correct) which is what I spoke of.

Personal truths can, and often do change. Absolute truths do not. Mathematics, physics etc. are absolute truths which do not change. Is there a divine, absolute truth? I don't know. Possibly, possibly not.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I would feel so empty and in limbo.

Good post (all of it of course) and I can certainly understand your point.

Well that's how I feel at present. I've never had a religion before though, that's the difference. Since I've come to accept God, I've been restless, not at peace. I found that it wasn't because of lack of friends, love, family, money or material things. It is a lack of spirituality and guidance.

I have a deep desire to connect with something (probably God) and better myself... A guide to life and morality. This is why I keep searching so much. I cannot seem to be satisfied with only believing in God. It works for my husband but not for me.

I seems most of the answers are fairly similar. I suppose it would be useless to follow something that you like but don't feel is true and vice-versa. A middle ground where both religion feels fairly truthful but also brings happyness and fulfillment sounds like a better choice. I know it may seem obvious to some but really it's something perhaps seekers can have issues with. Such as following your heart or the head (but that's another subject).

But one thing I'm having trouble with is which should one follow if one finds happyness in many of them (or suitable) but cannot believe any entirely. Do you give them a "test drive"? :thud:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
But one thing I'm having trouble with is which should one follow if one finds happyness in many of them (or suitable) but cannot believe any entirely. Do you give them a "test drive"? :thud:

You could do. I've tried it. :D

Good post (all of it of course) and I can certainly understand your point.

Well that's how I feel at present. I've never had a religion before though, that's the difference. Since I've come to accept God, I've been restless, not at peace. I found that it wasn't because of lack of friends, love, family, money or material things. It is a lack of spirituality and guidance.

I have a deep desire to connect with something (probably God) and better myself... A guide to life and morality. This is why I keep searching so much. I cannot seem to be satisfied with only believing in God. It works for my husband but not for me.

I seems most of the answers are fairly similar. I suppose it would be useless to follow something that you like but don't feel is true and vice-versa. A middle ground where both religion feels fairly truthful but also brings happyness and fulfillment sounds like a better choice. I know it may seem obvious to some but really it's something perhaps seekers can have issues with. Such as following your heart or the head (but that's another subject).

Kitty,
One can accept their utility without digesting their full course. "Take what you like and leave the rest."
best,
swampy

javajo

Do you follow the religion you perceive as truth or something that suits you?

I follow what I perceive as truth rather than what suits me. Jesus said he is the truth and the Bible says God's word is truth.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I suspect Christianity is as good as it gets...
Or at least Jesus teachings are as good as it gets.
The denominations that his teachings are used to support
Go from the superb to the Horrendous, and every thing in between.

I love a lot of things about many Christians denominations....
The simplicity of Unitarianism
The Worship of Anglicans and their broad acceptance.
The Remarkable organisation and Christian intent of the LDS
the Ceremony and age of the Catholic and Orthodox traditions
The peacefulness of some brethren.
The energy of the evangelicals, but sadly not their beliefs.

There is nothing about the religious right, the believers in a inerrant bible or creationists, that shows me the truth, and the love and forgiveness of Christ in their lives.

God however can find love for us all... we sinners all.

I follow the truth of Jesus teaching, not the dogma of any church.
we all believe what the Holy Spirit leads us to believe... "Very few vote the straight ticket."

javajo

I think its fine to believe God when he says he will preserve his Word for us and its fine to believe God created the heaven and earth. What I don't like is when some Christians won't accept me and my daughter just because of her sexual orientation. I also don't like it when someone thinks I am uncaring because I stand up for my beliefs and in the cross of Christ who died for ALL of us.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Having been exposed to several Christian faiths...
I dropped the dogma.

Then, looking about for comparison....
I continued to drop the dogma.

Religion seems to need the crutch of belief...without proof.
So, the practitioners offer a collection of axioms you are supposed to accept....no matter what.

That's a problem.

I lean to the considerations that 'something' greater than myself will someday ask....
"Who told you that?....and why did you believe it?"

There is consequence for having nodded your head when told....
And another consequence for having said it to someone else.

Now read my signature.

There is a difference between "Truth", as in the absolute truth, and personal truths (which are, in effect, simply what boil down to what you believe to be correct) which is what I spoke of.

Personal truths can, and often do change. Absolute truths do not. Mathematics, physics etc. are absolute truths which do not change. Is there a divine, absolute truth? I don't know. Possibly, possibly not.
Personal truths such as I like pizza, and tomorrow I am sick of pizza? Are those really true? Beliefs may or may not be true. Beliefs are things you accept as truth but that doesn't make them true. You may believe in God, but that doesn't make Him exist and the exact opposite is also true.