• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question: Spinning Sensation

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I have noticed sometimes when I meditate that I experience a certain dizziness almost. It feels like the room spins slowly while I meditate every once and a while. Anybody know the reason for that?

Electra

I get this quiet a bit sometimes. I feel like I am close to levitating, do you get that feeling? Heavy but light. Like I am spinning one way but the other way? I haven't really questioned the experience much though.

We just gotta make sure we ground to balance it all out.

RedDragon94

I get this quiet a bit sometimes. I feel like I am close to levitating, do you get that feeling? Heavy but light. Like I am spinning one way but the other way? I haven't really questioned the experience much though.

We just gotta make sure we ground to balance it all out.
Yeah, it does feel like the room is spinning both ways when it happens. I didn't know that had anything to do with levitation though. I was just wondering if it was supposed to happen.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sounds like Mayko.

It's not hard to achieve the sensation either. Lol. Sometimes I feel like I'm scooting around the room and I hadn't moved an inch!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
who are you? well I really am Nothing, which in turn is Everything .. so ..
We do not know if we are something or we are not. Science has not found the answer till now, though there are theories (Zero-energy universe - Wikipedia, Ex nihilo - Wikipedia). :)

Budha knew that it would takes a few millenniums before we get some idea. So, he said, don't worry about it (Acinteyya - Wikipedia). Think about your present situation. However, what is your way of meditation? Also, are you otherwise medically fit?

Electra

We do not know if we are something or we are not. Science has not found the answer till now, though there are theories (Zero-energy universe - Wikipedia, Ex nihilo - Wikipedia). :)

Budha knew that it would takes a few millenniums before we get some idea. So, he said, don't worry about it (Acinteyya - Wikipedia). Think about your present situation. However, what is your way of meditation? Also, are you otherwise medically fit?
images

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have noticed sometimes when I meditate that I experience a certain dizziness almost. It feels like the room spins slowly while I meditate every once and a while. Anybody know the reason for that?
It's usually the result of visual and sensory deprivation that upsets the balance calibration centers of the brain. If you keep your focus on the breath and bodily sensations, it should not happen.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I never encountered anything like this, that is why I am asking. My way was to sing into it (start normal, go slow, introduce random breaks, make breaks longer, then stop totally). Did not concentrate on breath or bodily sensations.

Sayak, did you ever write that Buddhist considered themselves to be 'astikas'. If yes, may I have some reference?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I never encountered anything like this, that is why I am asking. My way was to sing into it (start normal, go slow, introduce random breaks, make breaks longer, then stop totally). Did not concentrate on breath or bodily sensations.

Sayak, did you ever write that Buddhist considered themselves to be 'astikas'. If yes, may I have some reference?
In ancient India nastika and astika were assciated with belief in Vedas or not. Not Theism or atheism per se.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Or even belief in Vedas. Nobody wanted to be termed as a 'Nastika':

Buddhism: "Bhavaviveka declares that Buddhists are not nastika by refuting the nihilists annihilation of 'karmaphalasambandha' and demonstrating the transmigration of sentient beings. According to the Sallekha Sutta, belief leading to evil conduct is of three kinds, and natthika ditthi (nastika drishti or nihilism), is one of them. The others being ahetuka ditthi (drishti) or accidentalism and akiriya ditthi (Akarya Drishti) or the view of inaction. According to Buddhist texts, Astikavada is also known as Sabbathikavada (Sarvastivada)."
http://self.gutenberg.org/articles/e...d_n%C4%81stika

Jinism: "One of the earliest mentions of astika concept in Jain texts is by Manibhadra, who states that an astika is one who "accepts there exist another world (paraloka), transmigration of soul, virtue and vice that affect how a soul journeys through time"."
https://wiki2.org/en/Āstika_and_nāstika

RedDragon94

It's usually the result of visual and sensory deprivation that upsets the balance calibration centers of the brain. If you keep your focus on the breath and bodily sensations, it should not happen.
Okay, maybe that was just me getting used to meditation.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Have you had your blood pressure checked recently?

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
One of the reasons you may experience strange sensations seemingly in the brain during meditation is because we've learned from culture coupled with environment to treat the mind and body separately. In meditation, we start to see they aren't separate. The Buddha didn't think they were separate, except seemingly. He believed one of the ways people are misled and find themselves poorly equipped to handle ills like mental conditions is our tendency to treat mind and body as separate entities.

As though the mind and body didn't lead one another on all the time. ;)

They're connected deep in the subconsciousness- much like the ego and the skandhas play.