• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question regarding humanism

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I was wondering...given that a humanist looks more towards the human solutions rather than any sort of "divine solution", does that mean that most are not open to the idea of there being a divine, or is it just simply not worshipped or employed in any way?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Humanism can potentially be combined with various religions or beliefs, although some of them may result in a contradiction (such as, perhaps, Humanism's emphasis on the value of, and the self-realization potential for, humans, may contrast with the theological doctrine of total depravity, that humans are utterly unable to help themselves and require external salvation).

Humanism and secularism are often closely linked in practice, though. Secular Humanism in particular is generally devoid of divine solutions, practically by definition, but I'm sure that there are a variety of individual opinions of Secular Humanists concerning the scope of belief and knowledge, such as agnostics, atheists, pantheists, apatheists, and various other personal views.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Humanism, generally, is a secular idea. However, it has been combined with various religions. But like Penumbra pointed out, this can sometimes pose some problems. Certain religions, like Christianity, are god-centered, and this contrasts with the human centered-ness of humanism. However, it goes very well with other religions, like Buddhism, which tend to reject the idea of god, and are humanistic in their outlook anyway.

Zanuku

I was wondering...given that a humanist looks more towards the human solutions rather than any sort of "divine solution", does that mean that most are not open to the idea of there being a divine, or is it just simply not worshipped or employed in any way?

Extractions from my own mine:
Say on 911 a giant hand fell from the clouds, grabbed the planes that smashed the Twin Towers and laid it safely on the ground, hovered over to Bin Laden and shook a finger at him, then I would be open to divine intervention, till then I can't see any point standing still and praying to god when tsunami is is heading your way or the nukes are dropping from the sky because if you act yourself instead of basing your continued existence on divine intervention I'd say your chances of survival get a boost..

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

In humanism, there is simply no room for the divine. If humanism were a picture, it would fill the frame.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Make the tool fit the task.
Humanists use reason to deal with problems and organize their lives, rather than mythology. They don't try to conform their lives to the cultural norms of ancient Bedouin goatherds.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Good question. Would you have a simple test to determine whether a person is open to that idea? It seems a bit on the subtle side to me personally.

Maybe your doubt is the reason why there are both Religious Humanism and Secular Humanism movements.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In humanism, there is simply no room for the divine. If humanism were a picture, it would fill the frame.
I know Xians who are humanists, even though I don't think they'd describe themselves as such.
But then, they don't see the Bible as the literal word of God. Would they be Xian-lite?