• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question on the Origin of Polytheism

Kelloggs

Any Hindus in this forum that can enlighten me of the origin of their Religion?
Historical facts only please :)

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
You can read scholars like Hume, Freud, Durkheim, Geetrz, ect. all you want for theories, but nobody really knows how or why polytheism, or religion in general, came about. All we know is how it worked and what it did during its prominence, really.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Not a Hindi but the Gods seem to have been Deluge (the deluge may have been a natural catastrophy, the ice shelf collapsed; no need for accusations) survivors, also flesh and blood beings given physical immortality. That being said there is the, lets say, material realm and spectral realm, different dimensions... There are beings of energy and other compositions, not flesh,bone and blood. Ours is a realm of suffering. The initial pantheons from "Polytheism" were the initial royal families, which lead into the current royal families, why we had aristocracy, because these beings would be reborn into the royal families, but it didn't work out. There are tens of thousands with divine blood all over the world, and it's a constant find against espionage, some people will be down right pushed out of politics.

So Polytheism generally represents the believe in more than 1 God. That's basically what I've pieced together in my mind. I guess the original Gods were E.T.'s or from another dimension. They created the fruit of immortality and setup the aristocracy, but it's all a catastrophe. Some of these beings became unspeakably cruel and evil.

GoodbyeDave

There are no historical facts for the origins of polytheism. History goes back 5000 years, to the origins of writing, but religion is as old as mankind. People experience gods and they worship them: it's a simple as that.

The real mystery is why a small number of people in the Near East invented monotheism!

Whiterain

Fewer people acknowledge how destructive various cultures were in their conversion ages. The Jews for example annihilated nearly everything in the conversion to monotheism, then annihilated all representations of God later.

The Church and co-conspirators destroyed paganism among other things. The Muslims were equally or more destructive in their annihilation during the conquest of Islam, particular once they sacked Egypt, destroying the Library of Alexandria.

No bigotry, it's a stupidity the pains me to be apart of the human race from this. I do not understand what struck people as to "erase" history.

However, in language we see some constants.... I just seen Phoenician recently as Loki was joking about being the Baal demon from the Jew bible.

It's like a variation of Futhark.

stuxp2B.gif

oByYb5f.gif

B6QQfmv.jpg

GHiYmxN.jpg

A penile observation but neat none the less, I noticed. It's extremely cool but I don't feel the academic record may be correct on the origin of the Runes.

There's myth in Futhark.. Before that I do not know what the language would have been, perhaps this is the root, perhaps the oldest language on Earth....

We may continue to see it all over the world.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

I like to imagine that as humanity evolved, nature and human Nature was deified and polytheism emerged. Although it is fascinating to imagine extraterrestrials descending from the Heavens (or reaching out to us from other planes of existence) and interacting with early humanity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Any Hindus in this forum that can enlighten me of the origin of their Religion?
Historical facts only please :)
Hinduism is a confluence of many religious thoughts. There were already many in India - big population, big expanse. And then there were migrations into India - people from Central Asia - Aryans, Scythians, Qajars, White Huns (Yuehzi), Huns; and people from North-East -Tibeto Burmans. What happened here is that people accepted each others Gods and Goddesses resulting in a large pantheon, who were then woven into one another. We did not break idols or beheaded people having different beliefs and have generally lived in peace with one another. Jews are supposed to have been here since the time of King Solomon, Christians and Muslims came within 50 years of the establishment of their religions. The later migrants were Zoroastrians in the middle ages and Tibetan Buddhists in the present time.

The two major streams that coalesced to form Hinduism, Indigenous and Aryans, both are pagan, aboriginal and predate history by a few thousand years.

Kelloggs

Hinduism is a confluence of many religious thoughts. There were already many in India - big population, big expanse. And then there were migrations into India - people from Central Asia - Aryans, Scythians, Qajars, White Huns (Yuehzi), Huns; and people from North-East -Tibeto Burmans. What happened here is that people accepted each others Gods and Goddesses resulting in a large pantheon, who were then woven into one another. We did not break idols or beheaded people having different beliefs and have generally lived in peace with one another. Jews are supposed to have been here since the time of King Solomon, Christians and Muslims came within 50 years of the establishment of their religions. The later migrants were Zoroastrians in the middle ages and Tibetan Buddhists in the present time.

The two major streams that coalesced to form Hinduism, Indigenous and Aryans, both are pagan, aboriginal and predate history by a few thousand years.
This is very insightful. Do you have further readings on these minor religions and/or the time when they actually migrated to India? Thank you!

Whiterain

Here we go...

Scorning Man will come into order... You may spit on that dignity...

Pain is our realm, pain we were subjected to.

Absolution is process...

Don't numerate it...

Symbolize it...

Everything, no matter the essence, is of mold.

To idea, to articulate, is to mold...

One.... Or Zero... Is is to think.

To make is to feel.

:O

It's just elementary in process... Meeting understanding is process. The hate lay in the process.

Whiterain

All I have is perpetuated conflicting ignorance of equal but pattern recognizance...

No matter the color code, they may have an energized soul...

Qauntum is next level... I can't deface from there...

VioletVortex

Hindu originates primarily from the Indo-European cultural root. The Indo-Europeans lived in Eastern Europe. Most of them traveled northwest, into Western Europe and Northern Europe, but some went southeast, into what is now India. The Indians adopted many aspects of the Indo-European culture, and they combined this with native practices to create Hindu.

Polytheism seems to be the natural form ignore theism. It arose naturally both in Europe and unrelated places like Egypt and East Asia. People seem to be naturally more inclined towards polytheism.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hindu originates primarily from the Indo-European cultural root. The Indo-Europeans lived in Eastern Europe. Most of them traveled northwest, into Western Europe and Northern Europe, but some went southeast, into what is now India. The Indians adopted many aspects of the Indo-European culture, and they combined this with native practices to create Hindu.

Polytheism seems to be the natural form ignore theism. It arose naturally both in Europe and unrelated places like Egypt and East Asia. People seem to be naturally more inclined towards polytheism.
That is a common misunderstanding. Hinduism has more indigenous influence than Indo-European/Aryan. Of course, we respect the Vedas and occasionally invoke the Vedic Gods, but in day-to-day worship, we worship Gods and Goddesses who are not mentioned in the Vedas (except for Vishnu, Rudra and Saraswati). Vishnu became important after assimilating with Rama and Krishna, Rudra became important by assimilating with Shiva. Aryans may have come to India around 1,500 BC.

VioletVortex

That is a common misunderstanding. Hinduism has more indigenous influence than Indo-European/Aryan. Of course, we respect the Vedas and occasionally invoke the Vedic Gods, but in day-to-day worship, we worship Gods and Goddesses who are not mentioned in the Vedas (except for Vishnu, Rudra and Saraswati). Vishnu became important after assimilating with Rama and Krishna, Rudra became important by assimilating with Shiva. Aryans may have come to India around 1,500 BC.

That may be true, you'd know better than I, but Hindu is considered to be an Eastern Indo-European religion. Remember that many of the gods "not listed" in proto Indo-European pantheon could have been partially lost to history, lost in translation, etc.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sure, we had a strong migration and assimilation of Indo-Europeans, probably around 1,500 BC. The two streams merged like Rivers Ganges and Yamuna. We have an excellent record of our old Gods through RigVeda (Ouranos - Varuna; Perun - Parjanya; Baltic Ašvieniai, the Greek Castor and Polydeuces, the Roman Castor and Pollux, the English Hengist and Horsa, and the Welsh Bran and Manawydan - Nasatya, Ashwinis; mihr in Middle Persian, mērə/myer in Pashto, mihr/mher in Armenian - Mitra, etc.).

it goes back to time immemorial...before recorded history..
How can you tell its the oldest faith when there is no proof of that. Even if there was proof it does not necessarily mean its the first faith, but would be the oldest practised known faith. The problem you have is hinduism has major off shoots which see Jesus as a moral teacher and divinely inspired man. This opens up a can of worms theologically. This would mean that Jesus is more important and historically accurate than hare kishna, etc.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
How can you tell its the oldest faith when there is no proof of that. Even if there was proof it does not necessarily mean its the first faith, but would be the oldest practised known faith. The problem you have is hinduism has major off shoots which see Jesus as a moral teacher and divinely inspired man. This opens up a can of worms theologically. This would mean that Jesus is more important and historically accurate than hare kishna, etc.
Jesus is generally seen in Hinduism as an advanced master (a highly evolved being).

Krishna is considered an Avatar, a divine incarnation, even beyond an advanced master.

However, they are all on the same page and the important thing is how well we practice their teachings in our hearts and minds.