• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question on Sikhism - nature of shabd

LukeS

"Shabd" can mean name, hymn, cosmic force and some other things (I am told).

IN Sikh scripture some are said to sing of Gods power, some his liberality etc.

I would like to know, what is shabd?

I am thinking it is meditation, focus on gods name, recitation of scripture, but also maybe because the "universe is Gods hymn" (not sure about this) and because his spirit pervades it, in shabd meditation, a Sikh is accessing a part of that hymn, making of an inner darshan (disclosure, viewing of God) where God is most loving.

So the main question is; is the universe a hymn so to speak, and what's the relation of shabd to everyday being?

Is any of this correct?

Treks

Friend, you've surely picked a complex topic! One of the most difficult to explain, and understand, in Sikhi. I've pondered a response for you for the past hour, typed out two pages of a textbook, deleted it, Googled for hints, and I'm still at a loss.

Shabad does mean simply a hymn, or speech/word. But it's also often used as a synonym with Naam, and can mean something like the speech that is present when it's not the ego-self speaking, but speech that comes from the One and is heard by the One.

Sikhi at it's absolute core is about dissolving the sense of separation between self and God. Shabad is the communication that exists when there is no ego.

LukeS

I got the concept from reading Sar Bachan Poerty by Radha Soami Satsang Beas. Some very beautiful words.

Treks

I'm unfamiliar with that poetry, and don't know much about the Radha Soami - I'll look them up.

Are you familiar with Sikh Gurbani (scripture)?

Treks

Thank you for the link, I'll check it out.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a tricky book to read cover-to-cover, but has some really beautiful poetry, too, as I'm sure you're well aware.