• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question on Egyptian pantheon and death

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
To those of you that worship gods and goddesses from the Egyptian pantheon:

Does mummification still hold an important religious significance to those that worship gods/esses from the Egyptian pantheon? (Is there a name for that? I feel kind of silly just repeating 'Egyptain pantheon' :p)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Bumpin' it up... c'mon, I know we have a couple of people that follow Egyptian gods here! :)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I'm not a follower Jensa , but I wonder how legal it would be today ? Even if there were those who still follow that tradition , they may not be able to admit to it ?

argento_occhi

Sarcastically gifted
There's one place that I know of that does mummification, though I think it's in Europe somewhere, and they don't do the whole burial as well. I heard it's mightily expensive, too.

As for me, I'm not sure what I want to happen when I die. I know I want to build a tomb of some description, though whether I'll be buried somewhere else is another thing. I'm only 21, and I haven't given it a lot of thought. If necesary, I'll have a mummy built for me that I can bring to life as my representative body, cos I heard that the ancient Kemetics would have a wooden replica of their mummy as well as their body in case their body didn't survive.

senebty!
Argent

Runt

I have a friend who is a pagan who follows an Egyptian liturgy. I made a joke once about her getting mummified when she died, and she looked a little disgusted at the idea and said that no, she wanted to be cremated. But I don't know if these feelings are standard... and I'm not even sure people CAN be mummified today... (scientifically I'm sure we can, but I don't know if any company does that for people).

Prima

Hmm... no idea why mummification would be illegal, but ok.
There are very strict rules as to who can handle a dead body. You have to have state/country certification, I think. I don't think it's the process that would be illegal, just the means of doing...perhaps, depending on the removal of the organs, you would have to have a coroner's liscense? At the very least it'd take a lot of paperwork.

Then there's the issue of where you put the body afterwards...you'd have to have the area designated as a graveyard.

Duwayitheru

Im not to worried with what happens to me after im dead. I dont think being made into a mummy is very important to many following a Kemetic path now. It's often thought that pictures, paintings, or statues of some sort are enough.

If you're interested, a similiar subject came up not to long ago on some other boards, and it has the opinions of some practicing Kemetic Orthodox path.
http://www.netjer.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=107428&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1http://www.netjer.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=107428&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Fluffy

A fool
It is legal in Russia to have a mummification. Or at least it was. I am not aware of laws regarding mummification in other countries though. The problem with it, is that it is more expensive and space inefficient than other forms of disposal after death.