• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question on a relationship

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
ifonly said:
Okay, here is a question that I hesitate to ask, but I feel that this is a good place to get responses from all different kinds of people.
What do you think about an 18 year old girl, and a 30 year old male?
Now, when you respond to this would you just automatically be judgeful and say no, or would you want to know more of the story? So, let's here responses.....
When my sister was 18 she met a 28 year old with 3 kids. They got married and recently celebrated their 10th year together. They have 5 kids now, and have struggled alot. It drives my parents crazy, but he loves my sister sooooo much, I wish I had someone who loved me half as much.

No relationship is easy, and one might recieve alot of criticizm for such a relationship, but I am witness to what love can overcome. And the age difference between my sister and her husband has never been an issue with them.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Providing they are not living in different worlds. and are both happy to share a life style, I cant see any problems. Could get tiresome if she were young for her age , and he was set in early middle age.

Terry

Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Maybe the biggest problem I can see with such a relationship stems from differing expectations of what a person should get out of the relationship. As a rule, the younger someone is, the more they expect from a relationship. Usually, some of those expectations are unrealistic. So, I would imagine the 18 year old woman in the relationship might have many expectations about the relationship that set her up for becoming disappointed. While the 30 year old man has presumably been through all that, and so has expectations that differ significantly from hers.

robtex

Veteran Member
I have been 18 and I have been 30. I can say that mentally the growth I had in those 12 years was really large. I couldn't really connect with many people in their 30's when I was 18 on a mental level. I was busy with school, a martial arts junkie, and that was about it. I just hadn't lived long enough to really know about the world I lived and I didn't connect with many people well that were over the age of 25 even. I hadn't really learned to live on my own yet or how to interact with society.

I think if the 18 and 30 year old had a comminality (like martial arts if it had been me at 18) maybe they could have a mental connection but unless their was common interests I would think it would be more physical than anything else. When I say common interests I am not saying "we both like music or to go to the movies." I mean passions in life and interests.

It is getting very trendy in Austin for 30 year olds who dropped out of college in their early 20's to go back to school to get a degree. I hear the same song and dance over and over from them. They tell me they cannot connect with the 18-22 year olds that inhabit the college campuses. It is an interesting thought because I remember when I was 21, 22, 23 in college I had a hard time connecting with the few 30 and 40 year olds in my business school projects. We were just in different worlds and had differnt lives. I was worried about getting a date or passing a class or having enough gas in my car to visit friends i hadn't seen in a while and they were talking about work (career work as opposed to my non-career job), family issues and politics.

The bottom line would be if both of them have a deeper mental and emotional connection I suppose it could be a positive experience for both of them but realistically I see the chances of that being slim to none because of the amount of living that is connected with both ages. I am wondering what both parties are looking for and if it is the same or similar thing?