• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question: Odin associated with Athena?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I seem to remember that Puhvel in his Comparative mythology claimed an old Indo-European god showed up as Odin, Apollo, and Rudra (the Vedic precursor of Śiva).

Curing and causing (with arrows) disease: Apollo and Rudra.
Wearing a hat: Rudra and Odin.
Non-standard number of eyes: Rudra and Odin.
Prophecy: Apollo and Odin.
Mice or rats (or moles?): all three.

At the same time, I'm not sure of a Proto-Indo-European God has been reconstructed from these three figures. I think part of the problem is that, unlike other PIE Gods, the names we call them now probably started as bynames or titles, rather than something we can use linguistic reconstruction to point to.

GoodbyeDave

At the same time, I'm not sure of a Proto-Indo-European God has been reconstructed from these three figures. I think part of the problem is that, unlike other PIE Gods, the names we call them now probably started as bynames or titles, rather than something we can use linguistic reconstruction to point to.
I'm not sure either! Gods are too complex to be captured by the theorising of scholars. As for names, some are obvious — Zeus, Odin — but many are mysterious. Apollo may be Indo-European, but that name certainly isn't.