• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question mostly to Atheists (not a mocking)

Audie

Veteran Member
But you haven't noticed that members, new and old, are often rude. Or maybe you have noticed, but it doesn't fit your narrative to mention it.

I guess some people do not consider hypocrisy as a sign of rudeness.

Tries at subtlety do not actually decrease the rudeness
and the casting of aspersions. The op is not even
subtle.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The rules are there for the Christians when it come from the law of God, if you are not a Christian it does not count for you
Not necessarily. For instance, the LGBTQ child of Christian parents, driven to suicide or homelessness is very much affected by anti-LGBTQ religious doctrines.

Audie

Veteran Member
Well my reason to ask the OP was because of someone in the forum( a newbie) Only criticise Christianity in every post he make and refused to listen to anything.
But as you maybe saw, i did say this OP was not meant to say bad about every Atheist

And that is just such a terrific help! There are some few
Go9d atheists. You only say bad about the bad ones.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Well my reason to ask the OP was because of someone in the forum( a newbie) Only criticise Christianity in every post he make and refused to listen to anything.
But as you maybe saw, i did say this OP was not meant to say bad about every Atheist

Is said newbie producing what could be seen as valid criticism? I think i know who you mean and although he/she is taking no prisoners, his/her posts do criticise what can be read in the bible

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
A person can cherry pick scriptures, and romanticize a God of love out of it. But is it really a God of love? A God that commands infanticide and talks about forgiveness later on.

Whats the logic? God knows all, God is good, God commands to kill. Believers in, non believers out. Dont question God and blindly do these horrendous deeds.

Could it be that atheists desire an honest life where motives of even God are questioned. If God expects his subjects to kill, God should provide some justification for doing so. Rather its praiseworthy to blindly follow a command. And if infants are really that evil then why let their procreation take place in the first place.

Then in the NT God decides to show mercy.

If God wants to be known than at least explain the motives God has in wiping out entire peoples.

Why destroy the Amalekite offspring?

BibleGateway - Keyword Search: Destroy infants

QuestioningMind

I have noticed that many (not all) Atheists mocking or harras the believers of any religion/ spiritual path.
But also some of the Atheists are well versed in the religious text. So my question is.

Why do you "as an Atheist", take your time to read especially the bible, then when you know a little, you go about making sick critique and wrong claims about the religion you do not believe in? Do you find it fun to mock those who believe what you do not believe in? What is your purpose to try to drag down the religions?

I can only speak for myself, but the reason that I read the bible was because there were so many Christians around claiming that there was a God and that it was the God of the bible and that if I wanted evidence for this God that I needed to read His Word. The reality was that after having read the bible I was even less inclined to believe that it was anything more than the collected mythologies of fallible human beings.

Having read the book, when I hear people making claims like the God of the bible is a just and loving God, I can't help but point out the parts of the bible where I find this God to be extremely wicked and vile and not a just and loving God at all. I don't do it because it's 'fun', but because I think it's important that people base their beliefs on logic and reason and not on fantastical claims that can't be verified. Sadly when people allow themselves to abandon logic and reason when it comes to religious beliefs it also enables them to abandon logic and reason when it comes to other parts of their life, such as believing in climate change or how they pick their political leaders.

dianaiad

In general, atheists and agnostics tend to know more about the bible and Christianity than Christians do.

Religions have historically persecuted the non-religious, to the point of murdering them and/or torturing them for their audacity to speak out against them.

You guys made up for that big time in the twentieth century. In fact, the anti-theists killed more people in about fifty years than theists killed ANYBODY "in the name of God" in all of written human history.

Call it even and get over it.

As for choosing the Christian Bible amongst various religious texts.....it is likely that a person, educated enough to be agnostic/atheist and free enough to speak out on the subject without fear of punishment is in a country of many religions or at least one that is predominantly Christian....simply speaking sociologically/geopolitically in this period of human development. :shrug:

Why mock? If you see a child repeatedly stabbing a pencil into his own leg, on the assumption that it will make him both smarter and a better runner....yet you cannot take the pencil from him......would you not try to stop his nonsense none-the-less?

Not precisely the same thing. Your opinion about religion is not the same thing as seeing someone stabbing himself with a sharp object. As well, using the same logic, you can't get unhappy with theists who use that same argument to support their knocking on your door, forcing pamphlets on you, blocking your way by preaching in the streets or singing in airports....but y'all complain about that anyway.

There are clear logical fallacies within the Bible that make it obvious as not a divine work, but rather a gathering of odd tales told and written by men. There are commands to be horrendously cruel to other people (often glossed over by church and preachers), yet are presented in the religious text as God’s word. Would you not stop followers from enacting those horrors? Should you not stop followers from enacting those horrors?

Do you see people 'enacting those horrors?"

You cannot imprison them all. And any discussion with them is usually met with disbelief and anger. Little is left except humor and mockery, so as to show them the obvious errors of their beliefs.

You go ahead and mock. Just don't get so arrogant that you think your opinion is as factual as the rock in your path. The thing is, your opinion regarding stuff is no better than anybody else's is. Nobody KNOWS what happens to us after we die. You think you know. I have my own opinion.

And mine is as good as yours...just as provable as yours, actually.

dianaiad

Hmm... I recall them killing in the name of communism and in the name of the state... but not in the name of not believing in any gods.

Oh, don't be silly. If they were prohibiting religion (and they were) and killing people BECAUSE they were religious (and they did) then they were doing it 'in the name of anti-theism" which happens to be a subset of atheism. One cannot be anti-all theism unless one IS an atheist, after all.

Audie

Veteran Member
Oh, don't be silly. If they were prohibiting religion (and they were) and killing people BECAUSE they were religious (and they did) then they were doing it 'in the name of anti-theism" which happens to be a subset of atheism. One cannot be anti-all theism unless one IS an atheist, after all.

They were going after ALL religion?
(No)

Can one (say, a christian or muslim)
be against all of the thousands of
other religions without being
anti-theist- minus-one?

That minus one makes all the
difference and is so much better,
and, more, like, godly!
Right!!??

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I have noticed that many (not all) Atheists mocking or harras the believers of any religion/ spiritual path.
But also some of the Atheists are well versed in the religious text. So my question is.

Why do you "as an Atheist", take your time to read especially the bible, then when you know a little, you go about making sick critique and wrong claims about the religion you do not believe in? Do you find it fun to mock those who believe what you do not believe in? What is your purpose to try to drag down the religions?
To counteract those who do the same amount of reading of the Bible, and then try to force their seriously imperfect knowledge of it on the rest of us.

So I'll counter with a question: why are theists so often not content to believe what they do in the quiet confines of their own mind, and leave everybody else alone? What's the need to stick it on the money, or on the courthouse lawn, or plaster it all over the public square?

Samana Johann

Restricted by request
I have noticed that often (not allways) Amanaki mocks or harras the believers of any religion/ spiritual path.
But also in some way he is well versed in the religious context. So my question is.

Why do you "as Amanaki", take your time to read especially science, then when you know a little, you go about making sick critique and wrong claims about the religion you do not believe in? Do you find it fun to mock those who believe what you do not believe in? What is your purpose to try to drag down the religions?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Many atheists were raised Christian; some were even pastors so of course the know the Bible. Many studied the Bible extensively, which is why they aren't Christians any more.
That last is a really good point. I would give you Bart D. Ehrman as a good example, although I have others.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Hmm... I recall them killing in the name of communism and in the name of the state... but not in the name of not believing in any gods.
It's a bizzare logic. I would take Stalin while sending millions to their deaths, was not thinking of atheism as the reasons for doing he did.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

hmmm... an atheist doesn't believe in any gods. So what is left to kill in the name of?