• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Jews

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I read some Jews don't brush their teeth because toothpaste isn't kosher.

It isn't hard to find kosher toothpaste is it?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I read some Jews don't brush their teeth because toothpaste isn't kosher.

It isn't hard to find kosher toothpaste is it?
There is some kosher toothpaste, and maybe a small number of orthodox Jews may only use that, but since toothpaste is not eaten, using regular toothpaste is all fine and dandy for most.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Kashruth Issues of Toothpaste - OU Kosher Certification

71udCoN7vBL._SL1500_.jpg

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There is some kosher toothpaste, and maybe a small number of orthodox Jews may only use that, but since toothpaste is not eaten, using regular toothpaste is all fine and dandy for most.
Some children will swallow it deliberately though, as a lot of toothpastes for children taste very sweet or fruity. If I were a Jewish parent, I don't think I would knowingly give my child toothpaste with non-kosher products in it if I knew he or she is prone to eating the paste rather than spitting it.

Fun fact: as I was writing this there was a huge thunderclap that scared the heck out of me.

Last edited:

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
1) My cousin, a dentist in California, could give you a list of the non-Jewish middle aged patients he's seen in 40 years of practice who have neglected to brush their teeth.
2) As pointed out by Tumah and metis there are kosher certified toothpastes on the market.
3) There has been considerable discussion regarding the acceptability of use of non-kosher toothpaste by traditionally observant Jews, see for example the article on the website of the Chicago Rabbinical Council, an Orthodox rabbinical group.
4) There was a study some years ago regarding poor dental health among the population of an insular and isolated (socially and culturally and media wise) Orthodox community in North London, but the causes were multiple and I do not know how representative a group that was or is.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Some children will swallow it deliberately though, as a lot of toothpastes for children taste very sweet or fruity.
Accidents with many of the Jewish Laws can happen, but there's long been an acknowledgement that there's the issue of "intent". Plus children are held to a much lower standard since they are prone to making mistakes-- which is why my wife calls me her "fourth child".

Fun fact: as I was writing this there was a huge thunderclap that scared the heck out of me.
And swallowed your head? Not kosher ya know.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Accidents with many of the Jewish Laws can happen, but there's long been an acknowledgement that there's the issue of "intent". Plus children are held to a much lower standard since they are prone to making mistakes-- which is why my wife calls me her "fourth child".
Indeed, but the onus is on the parent to buy toothpaste. If kosher toothpaste is bought, this can be prevented :)

Last edited: