• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for jehovah's witness

Frank Goad

I go back and forth with the belief that the soul perishes at death like the jw believe.So i ask the jws this.How do you keep from going back and forth?I guess i am still soul searching.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I go back and forth with the belief that the soul perishes at death like the jw believe.So i ask the jws this.How do you keep from going back and forth?I guess i am still soul searching.
You don't seem sure of what you believe.
Perhaps making sure you are clear about the soul, is a way to not be driven hither and thither.
Make certain you understand a step at a time... from scripture - not what we or anyone else says.

whirlingmerc

positively
I lean toward what Paul says 'to be absent with the body is to be present with the Lord"
and so I lean away from the soul perishing at physical death (or at the second death)

negatively
'the smoke of their torment goes up into he ages of the ages' suggests the soul not being destroyed
and so I lean away from the soul perishing at physical death (or at the second death)

Spoiler altert - not a JW

nPeace

Veteran Member
positively
I lean toward what Paul says 'to be absent with the body is to be present with the Lord"

negatively
'the smoke of their torment goes up into he ages of the ages' suggests the soul not being destroyed

Spoiler altert - not a JW
Surely you don't think the Bible is wrong?
1 Corinthians 15:35-50
35 Nevertheless, someone will say: “How are the dead to be raised up? Yes, with what sort of body are they coming?” 36 You unreasonable person! What you sow is not made alive unless first it dies. 37 And as for what you sow, you sow, not the body that will develop, but just a bare grain, whether of wheat or of some other kind of seed; 38 but God gives it a body just as it has pleased him, and gives to each of the seeds its own body. 39Not all flesh is the same flesh, but there is one of mankind, there is another flesh of cattle, another flesh of birds, and another of fish. 40And there are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies; but the glory of the heavenly bodies is one sort, and that of the earthly bodies is a different sort. 41 The glory of the sun is one sort, and the glory of the moon is another, and the glory of the stars is another; in fact, one star differs from another star in glory. 42So it is with the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised up in incorruption. 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised up in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised up in power. 44It is sown a physical body; it is raised up a spiritual body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual one. 45So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living person.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46However, what is spiritual is not first. What is physical is first, and afterward what is spiritual. 47The first man is from the earth and made of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48Like the one made of dust, so too are those made of dust; and like the heavenly one, so too are those who are heavenly. 49And just as we have borne the image of the one made of dust, we will bear also the image of the heavenly one. 50 But I tell you this, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom, nor does corruption inherit incorruption.

How many bodies does the Bible describe, or speak of?
1. Flesh. 2. Spirit.
I find two. How many do you find?
What is soul? Can you describe it, and which scripture fits it with either one of these two - flesh, and spirit?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
We know the Scriptures don’t contradict themselves. Keeping that in mind, read what Paul said @ 1 Corinthians 15:6. (I love that 15th chapter!)

Now, how do we reconcile the two?
Well, if Paul also ‘falls asleep’....when the future Resurrection comes, how will it seem to him?

Were you ever put under w/ anesthesia? I have. When I woke up in recovery 2 hrs. later, the nurses were laughing. I asked what’s the joke, and they told me I woke up still counting backwards from 10, as the doctor told me to do prior to surgery! Those two hours were non-existent to me.

The same with Paul, and everyone else resurrected, Even 5,000 years of death will seem like nothing to those coming back!

And also, when people die, they are immediately in Jehovah’s memory! That’s why Ezekiel 18:4 says what it does: ‘souls die’, but Jehovah says, “to Me they belong.” No more does Satan, or his world, have any control over them...they will experience a resurrection to life — either in heaven (the “earlier” one) or on Earth — without evil or the Devil being around!

nPeace

Veteran Member
We know the Scriptures don’t contradict themselves. Keeping that in mind, read what Paul said @ 1 Corinthians 15:6. (I love that 15th chapter!)

Now, how do we reconcile the two?
Well, if Paul also ‘falls asleep’....when the future Resurrection comes, how will it seem to him?

Were you ever put under w/ anesthesia? I have. When I woke up in recovery 2 hrs. later, the nurses were laughing. I asked what’s the joke, and they told me I woke up still counting backwards from 10, as the doctor told me to do prior to surgery! Those two hours were non-existent to me.

The same with Paul, and everyone else resurrected, Even 5,000 years of death will seem like nothing to those coming back!

And also, when people die, they are immediately in Jehovah’s memory! That’s why Ezekiel 18:4 says what it does: ‘souls die’, but Jehovah says, “to Me they belong.” No more does Satan, or his world, have any control over them...they will experience a resurrection to life — either in heaven (the “earlier” one) or on Earth — without evil or the Devil being around!
Yes. 1 Corinthians 15 is what you might call a trump.
The fact that they are only two life forms - flesh, and spirit, helps us to see how nicely that ties in with Ezekiel 18:4.
The soul / life / person, is flesh, and dies. That person's future life is now in God's hands. Enter resurrection.
It's quite simple, isn't it?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
@Frank Goad , think about this (maybe you have already):

When Jehovah told A&E they’d die if they ate from the tree, how would they even know what death is?
What logical conclusion is there?

Because they had observed the animals die, not ‘live on in another realm.’

Now if humans were to die differently somehow, wouldn’t that really make God deceitful, by not providing further information?

It really is as Ecclesiastes 3:18-21 states.

Then why are there all these ghost stories? Revelation 12:9 b explains a lot!