• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Hindus

Terry Sampson

I'm posting this thread here because I can't post it in the Hinduism DIR.

Another thread, about the "Hare Krishnas" led me to think of think of them a little while ago, today.
It's been a while since I thought of them, ... not since the last time I saw a group of them singing at the airport or the last time I heard George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" So I went looking for something on-line about them and came across this:

• Why don't Hare Krishnas eat meat?[@What You Need to Know About Hare Krishnas]

Hindus believe that animals are children of Krishna, created by God with a soul. Therefore, to eat an animal is an affront to God. Moreover, it's bad for your consciousness: Because the slaughter of animals is violent, when you eat meat, fish or fowl, you are subjecting yourself to more violent thoughts and, perhaps, violent behavior.

In Hinduism, cooking is intertwined with spirituality. Hare Krishnas believe they are cooking for the pleasure of God. They never sample the food they are cooking, since it must be offered to Krishna first. Moreover, Hindus believe that food absorbs the consciousness of the cook.

If you are angry and elbow deep in the lentils or kneading dough for chapattis (unleavened bread), Hindu philosophy claims that your emotions are transferred to the food — and then to the person who eats the meal. It is one reason monks don't go to restaurants, because it raises the question, "Whose consciousness are you eating today?"
Specifically, my question to the Hindus in all of their manifestations here in RF is this: How common among Hindus would you say the opinion is that what you eat introduces some formerly-living thing's consciousness into your body?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Another thread, about the "Hare Krishnas" led me to think of think of them a little while ago, today.
It's been a while since I thought of them, ... not since the last time I saw a group of them singing at the airport or the last time I heard George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" So I went looking for something on-line about them and came across this:

Hindus believe that animals are children of Krishna, created by God with a soul. Therefore, to eat an animal is an affront to God. Moreover, it's bad for your consciousness: Because the slaughter of animals is violent, when you eat meat, fish or fowl, you are subjecting yourself to more violent thoughts and, perhaps, violent behavior.

In Hinduism, cooking is intertwined with spirituality. Hare Krishnas believe they are cooking for the pleasure of God. They never sample the food they are cooking, since it must be offered to Krishna first. Moreover, Hindus believe that food absorbs the consciousness of the cook.

If you are angry and elbow deep in the lentils or kneading dough for chapattis (unleavened bread), Hindu philosophy claims that your emotions are transferred to the food — and then to the person who eats the meal. It is one reason monks don't go to restaurants, because it raises the question, "Whose consciousness are you eating today?"
Specifically, my question to the Hindus in all of their manifestations here in RF is this: How common among Hindus would you say the opinion is that what you eat introduces some formerly-living thing's consciousness into your body?

There is substantial misinformation in this quote, mainly coming from one sect's (ISKCON) saying that what they believe applies to all Hindus. So the answer to your question will vary from this. The idea that animals are the children of Krishna is an extremely sectarian viewpoint, as many Hindus don't see Krishna as the supreme at all.

Personally, I think anger is a negative emotion period, and its subtleties pass into everything, including the more obvious, like the ability to drive a car safely, or is transferred to physical violence.

Food, and tasting it is another matter. At one time we probably heard this too, so my wife asked our Guru, and his response was that you should taste it, just to check if its okay, if nothing else. You wouldn't want to feed moldy fruit to the Gods, for example.

Having said that, ISKCON generally has excellent prasad (food offered to the divine) other than occasionally overdoing the sweet side.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Not particularly common. Maybe some sects have that idea, don’t know. But generally Hindus don’t see everything as children of Krishna. The supreme depends on the sect.

But I’ll second the notion of ISKCON generally having excellent prasad.

Terry Sampson

Note to myself: "The International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), known colloquially as the Hare Krishna movement or Hare Krishnas, is a Gaudiya Vaishnava Hindu religious organisation." International Society for Krishna Consciousness - Wikipedia

Prasada: "a material substance of vegetarian food that is a religious offering in both Hinduism and Sikhism. It is normally consumed by worshippers after worship. Mahaprasada (also called Bhandara) in Hinduism, similar to the langar in Sikhism, is the consecrated food offered to the deity in the temple which is then shared and eaten by the masses without discrimination. Sometimes this vegetarian offering will exclude the prohibited items such as garlic, onion, roots, etc." Prasāda - Wikipedia

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The argument in the quote is ridiculous. I think they just made it up.
Vegetarian diet aids in the practice of non-violence, a key virtue. Hence it is recommended. But eating meat is not prohibited, and is recommended for people whose profession is martial in nature.