• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Gun Owners

Suave

Simulated character
Americans! Imagine America suddenly didn't exist. You can live in any country you choose, but it must be a country in which the general population do not have guns. How would this make you mostly feel?

1. Concerned that I could not own a gun for self defence.

2. Relieved that I am now living in a country where the general population do not own guns.

3. Something else...

Post at will...

Australia here I come! Universal health care, low crime, sub-tropical climate, Foster beer, koalas and kangaroos! The land down under...there's no other pace I'd rather be!

RestlessSoul

And this is why banning guns will never work.

You have law abiding citizens that will be unarmed, while there are those that will obtain them by illegal means, often those that are involved in criminal activity (not saying @Ella S. is).

But banning guns does work. It works in every country where guns are banned. I and everyone I know, go about our daily business with virtually zero fear or probability of being shot.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Americans! Imagine America suddenly didn't exist. You can live in any country you choose, but it must be a country in which the general population do not have guns. How would this make you mostly feel?

2. Relieved that I am now living in a country where the general population do not own guns.

3. Something else...

Post at will...
I own 14 guns and I'd probably move to Belgium and/or France. If I had to surrender my guns I wouldn't have a fit. I race bikes and that is my primary form of meaning in life, not guns.

If guns were outlawed in the USA it would not change anything for me. I own guns as a collector but are not emotionally attached to them. They are interesting as tools of history, and that is about it. How I engage with American culture has little to do with guns.

Suave

Simulated character
Well, I did attend a large public school
in an English speaking country.

'I was hone schooled by my German speaking Grandma,

Wenn meiner Oma Englisch gesprochon, hörte man einer deutschen Akzent. ,,,:D

When my grandmother spoke English, you could hear a German accent.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I see many folks say that they need guns for self defense, but I'm not sure if they had the choice if being in a confrontation with a criminal if they would prefer it being with guns or without guns that they would feel safer shooting it out.

The safest way to live is to work to avoid being a victim of a criminal interaction. Obviously many situations are random and just bad luck. The children in rooms 111 and 112 of Robb elementary just had worse luck than those in rooms 106 and 107 across the hall. You might be at your bank at the wrong time of the wrong day. Just bad luck. Are you going to prefer to shoot it out with robbers in the bank, outnumbered and they already have a gun on you? Do you want to risk your life for the bank's money, that's insured anyway?

If you are walking down the street with your wife and kids after having dinner and some guy pulls a knife and wants your wallet, are you going to try to get some distance and pull your gun before the guy takes a kid hostage for a shield? Maybe have a fake wallet to give the guy so no one's life is in danger.

There are so many scenarios where a gun is not going to be an effective solution. In some places self defense is limited to equal force, so shooting a guy with a knife might get you indicted. You have a case to make, but are you ready to spend thousands for lawyers? I don't see pro-gun people thinking through as they portray.

Suave

Simulated character
But banning guns does work. It works in every country where guns are banned. I and everyone I know, go about our daily business with virtually zero fear or probability of being shot.
Outright banning 200 million semi-auto firearms in America might be like trying to catch a deluge in a paper cup. The most practical solution here might be to well regulate their transfers of ownership with universal background checks paid by taxing prospective semi-auto purchasers keeping mentally deranged would-be mass shooters from having the means to massacre dozens of people within in a matter of a few horrific moments. There will be a battle ahead between us responsible sensible gun owners and crazed gun lobbyists: Welcome to the war between us, you know hey won't win, don't let them win!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Outright banning 200 million semi-auto firearms in America might be like trying to catch a deluge in a paper cup. The most practical solution here might be to well regulate their transfers of ownership with universal background checks paid by taxing prospective semi-auto purchasers keeping mentally deranged would-be mass shooters from having the means to massacre dozens of people within in a matter of a few horrific moments. There will be a battle ahead between us responsible sensible gun owners and crazed gun lobbyists: Welcome to the war between us, you know hey won't win, don't let them win!
I certainly think weaning Americans off guns would be a slow generational event. Ingrained attitudes only die with the holders.

Gargovic Malkav

I think this is a lot harder to achieve in a "free" culture where owning a gun has always been considered a basic right.
People easily grow dependent on such luxuries.

Viker

Häxan

3. Something else...

Post at will...

No big deal. A pistol or shotgun may make defense easier. Oh, well. I would adjust and carry on. I'm an archer anyway. :D

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Europeans are much more community minded than we are in the US. People there don't mind being inconvenienced if it helps people to be happier and healthier. We are too selfish and individualistic for that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I would feel safe. Where I come from, not even normal police carry guns.

However, I currently live in a country where virtually every family has an automatic assault rifle at home. And a Swiss Army knife. And everybody is pretty good at shooting.

Yet, we do not have much of an issue like they have in the USA.

So, I would say that banning guns is a sufficient, but not necessary condition to live more safely. Some countries require the ban, others don't.

Ciao

- viole
My impression (as someone who has never been to Switzerland) is that those automatic rifles are military weapons entrusted to the custody of reservists (though there are a *lot* of reservists), kept locked up at home, and penalties for misuse of those weapons are severe.

I didn't think you had a US-style gun culture, where armed response to a trespasser or carrying a loaded handgun in a holster in public is common... right?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
My impression (as someone who has never been to Switzerland) is that those automatic rifles are military weapons entrusted to the custody of reservists (though there are a *lot* of reservists), kept locked up at home, and penalties for misuse of those weapons are severe.
Yes. But I suppose spraying children with bullets is also associated with some penalties in your country.

I didn't think you had a US-style gun culture, where armed response to a trespasser or carrying a loaded handgun in a holster in public is common... right?
No. we do not have that. I actually never saw a gun carried by any of my friends. Or I never met anyone proud of carrying a piece. You would look very odd if you did.

So, it is correct that this is mainly a military thing that has nothing to do with the general culture, which is, in that respect, the same as our neighbours Italy, France, Austria, or Germany. Where weapons are usually acquired only for hunting.

Like I did when I lived in Lapponia, since I am a fan of moose meat.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Suave

Simulated character

For their public safety's sake, their militia's home based military rifles are housed separately from their ammo securely stored in military armories.

Reference: "SR 514.54 Bundesgesetz über Waffen, Waffenzubehör und Munition (Waffengesetz WG)" (official site) (in German, Italian, and French). Berne, Switzerland: The Swiss Federal Council. 1 July 2016. Retrieved 10 June 2015