• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Gun Owners

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That's interesting, I didn't realise that about Switzerland (but I do have the knife!) What might you think the key differences between your country and the US are then, given comparable levels of gun ownership? (In fact, in the US the number of multiple gun households actually means the majority of households do not have a gun).
I don't know.

But I suspect that a strong social safety net is strongly correlated with social peace. I am spoiled, since I have a double Swiss/Swedish citizenship. Both very safe countries. The first country is socially strong because it is very rich, the second is socially strong because everyone pays 50% or more of their income as taxes. It looks like a lot, but you really need to worry about nothing, from the cradle to the grave.

Incidentally, I also have the impression that a strong social safety net correlates positively with lack of interest in religion. Those countries have, basically, no foxholes, and no need for them.

So, I wonder whether the extreme level of religiosity in America, as compared with countries at similar level of development, and the widespread violence, are not reducible to the same root cause. Namely, the lack of a social protection for the people you call "losers".

But again. I have no clue, really. That is just easy chair sociology from my side.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Vivriez-vous dans un pays bilingue où l'on parle la langue des amants ainsi que la langue du Dieu inexistant ?
Ha. I understood that. Not all of it but enough I knew what you were asking. It's cuz of learning other languages. I'm not fluent in anything but English however I know bits and pieces of other languages

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I don't know.

But I suspect that a strong social safety net is strongly correlated with social peace. I am spoiled, since I have a double Swiss/Swedish citizenship. Both very safe countries. The first country is socially strong because it is very rich, the second is socially strong because everyone pays 50% or more of their income as taxes.

Incidentally, I also have the impression that a strong social safety net correlates positively with lack of interest in religion. Those countries have, basically, no foxholes, and no need for them.

So, I wonder whether the extreme level of religiosity in America, as compared with countries at similar level of development, and the widespread violence, are not reducible to the same root cause. Namely, the lack of a social network for the people you call "losers".

But again. I have no clue, really. That is just sofa sociology from my side.

Ciao

- viole
Interesting even on a sofa. Thanks. Food for thought.

Gargovic Malkav

Gun rights wouldn't be a big concern for me,
provided the environment was peaceful.
So that would eliminate Brazil, which has
tougher gun laws, but more gun deaths.

I know from watching The Simpsons that
Brazil is a very dangerous country.

Even without guns they can get pretty crazy with machetes, axes, and gasoline+fire.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
@ChristineM
@fantome profane is asking @Revoltingest if he'd live in a bilingual country that speaks both french and the language of his non-existent God. Right?

I didn't understand the whole thing but that's what I can infer from what I can understand from it.
You did better than the auto-translate. I checked and it switched “the language of the non-existent God” to “the non-existent language of God”. When I think about if both are nonsense, but the first one is the nonsense I intended.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
"Wnd"?
Is that a mis-spelling of "wrlnd"?

Nope a mispelling of "and"

unnamed (1).jpg

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
If gun nuts would want to illegally own guns in countries with hardly any guns, it show you who the real threat to our peace is coming from