• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for former theists...

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
What caused you to lose faith? When was the point that you made the step from being a theist to becoming atheist? What was the rationale?
As a man of faith, I find the idea of one day disregarding my faith to be a bizarre concept. I know everyone believes differently, but faith is a strong emotion, right? How did you overcome your faith to embrace atheism? If you’re able to drop the faith, do you feel it was still true faith in the first place?

Altfish

Veteran Member
What caused you to lose faith? When was the point that you made the step from being a theist to becoming atheist? What was the rationale?
As a man of faith, I find the idea of one day disregarding my faith to be a bizarre concept. I know everyone believes differently, but faith is a strong emotion, right? How did you overcome your faith to embrace atheism? If you’re able to drop the faith, do you feel it was still true faith in the first place?
Studying science at school.
The need for a god seemed to reduce the more I learnt, then I asked myself the question, "Who created god?" - and the myths fell apart

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What caused you to lose faith?

A wake up call. I never believed a god exist (no source of creation or first cause). I jumped in the church prematurely. Found out through practice I didn't align with what they stood for. I left.

When was the point that you made the step from being a theist to becoming atheist?

I was always a atheist. I sat in the pew in front the Eucharist, said hey can't believe who you are since I don't believe in a god, and left.

I never followed the bible.

What was the rationale?

I never believed.

As a man of faith, I find the idea of one day disregarding my faith to be a bizarre concept. I know everyone believes differently, but faith is a strong emotion, right?

It is. But it's more than that. It's a conviction. If you can see reality outside your religion it's not a religion.

How did you overcome your faith to embrace atheism? If you’re able to drop the faith, do you feel it was still true faith in the first place?

I never knew about atheism until I came on RF 2012 I believe. I just thought you believe or you don't. RF makes it so complicated.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

My church had a policy of children reading from the bible. I'm dyslexic, at the time undiagnosed, i couldn't read to the congregation. Some members of the congregation began to mock me, others followed, soon everyone in the church was taking the **** out of the stupid 14 year old girl who couldn't read. After some months i plucked up courage to say **** you and walked out never to return.

Soon after my dyslexia was diagnosed and easy enough to remedy. Corrective eye glasses prescribed and voila, letters and words came in to focus.

I taught myself to read, the second book i read was the KJV Bible, from cover to cover in the hope of finding why the church congregation though it cool to mock disability. And it's all there in the OT, the distrust of difference, attacks on difference, god hates difference, anyone not Jewish, anyone not toeing the line. I learned a lot about abrahamic religions from that reading. It took about 2 years to wash the faith in god gut of my system to become a non believer and several more years for that to resolve in to atheism.

Was my faith true, i believed so, but no longer. The whole thing is a bronze age sham to keep the masses under control.

AlexanderG

I've heard from quite a few ex-theists, although I don't know that a poll has been done comprehensively.

Mostly, I hear that some factual discrepancy caught their attention and niggled in their mind, prompting them to research more. They didn't want to lose their faith, and typically desperately tried to pray for signs or hold onto it. In the end, though, we can't choose what we are convinced of. You can't choose to believe something if you just don't believe it anymore. It isn't a matter of "embracing atheism" by "overcoming faith." It's a slow unraveling, like an old sweater coming undone, until there is nothing left to wear.

Oh, it looks like Barna has done some polling, and it's a mix of several reasons, like "not relevant to my life," "out of step with science and evidence," "too judgmental of others," and "unfriendly to questioning":
Six Reasons Young Christians Leave Church - Barna Group

I've always been an atheist, but I hopefully I'm not out of line with my contribution. I think I simply missed the age when I could've been indoctrinated.

AlexanderG

If you're really interested in learning more, you should check out Jon Steingard's YouTube channel. A lot of his interviews are with people who lost their faith, and why. Another great channel is Harmonic Atheist, whose interviews are almost exclusively people who lost their faith describing their deconversion process.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Oh, it looks like Barna has done some polling, and it's a mix of several reasons, like "not relevant to my life," "out of step with science and evidence," "too judgmental of others," and "unfriendly to questioning":
Six Reasons Young Christians Leave Church - Barna Group

Reason #5 – They wrestle with the exclusive nature of Christianity
This reason I can most empathize with. I dropped the traditional Christian views I was raised with because I didn’t like the idea that other religions had it wrong. But instead of becoming atheist, I went another route and became syncretist. Everybody’s right :D
Eye opening study, thanks!

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

Reading the bible from cover to cover caused me to lose faith.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Reason #5 – They wrestle with the exclusive nature of Christianity.
Funny you should mention that because this morning I just posted about that to a Christian on another thread:

samtonga43 said:
I haven't found anything in the Baha'i Faith that could possibly supplant what the Christian Faith teaches.

Trailblazer said:
I haven't found anything in Christianity that could possibly supplant what the Baha'i Faith teaches.

If God is a loving and just God, it is IMpossible that only one religion is the Truth from God and that is Christianity. It is IMpossible that a loving and just God would reveal only one true religion and that 67% of the world population will not have any eternal life.

This is logically impossible if God is a loving and just God.

There are so many reasons why Christianity as it is commonly believed (e.g. Jesus is the Only Way) cannot be true. This is just one reason, probably the most important reason.

The Baha'i Faith does not need to reconcile all the religions of the past to the Baha'i Faith and make them fit as @CG Didymus seems to think we are obligated to do, because one cannot put new wine in old wine sacs, as Jesus said. Moreover, the older religions have been irreparably corrupted by man over the course of time, so what is commonly believed by believers is not what was originally revealed by the Messengers of the past.

#1730 Trailblazer, Today at 9:51 AM

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

My parents were Christians, and I did go to church regularly as a kid. I think I believed in the sense that I didn’t know not believing was an option: I never really thought about God except when something was wrong, whatever petty things a little girl worries about. So I don’t count that so much.

Then my mom died and I went all-in on Christianity in grief: mainly, I think, because I wanted to see her again. I was straight edge, listening to Christian music, got my chestpiece tattoo (which is the Sacred Heart), went to church, all of it.

It wasn’t until over time, maybe as grief subsided, that I started to realize I never had intellectual reasons for believing; I only had emotional reasons. So I would think of questions and doubts that I was totally ill equipped to answer (and so were people I asked: I’d get totally unacceptable answers).

Also, major factor, I’m gay and I always have been. In high school I knew what my classmates thought of lesbians, so I pretended (and tried earnestly) to be straight. Same thing when I was “born again.” But it was lying to myself, and I really struggled with why God would make me a lesbian if He didn’t like homosexuals. I struggled with that so much, I cried a lot, I was in a really dark and self-abusive place because of it. So that was definitely a factor.

So, I left the faith slowly, piece by piece, first by allowing myself to stop trying to date men, by dropping the more hardcore aspects like young earth creationism. Then I finally allowed myself to date women, and as I had more and more intellectual questions about the faith, I kept dropping more and more.

At some point I realized that I had just stopped believing and was only going through motions. So I dropped the pretense. The guilt and the shame that was always there for being a lesbian was gone, I was finally happy.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I am a believer.
  1. The non-believers may have been right to find fault with the religion they use to believe, Right?
  2. but they were wrong to generalize it to other denominations of the same religion or to other religions. Right?
  3. They ought to have used some reasonable Method ( like "Religious Method") to find right from the wrong in the denominations and other religions. Right?
  4. My association with RF and other forums brings out that they never had any reasonable method to apply to know the truth in religions or non-religions. Right?
  5. They got disenchanted with the religions but they never tried and applied the same approach to the ism they were heading to. Right?
Atheism or whatever form of non-believers are there, they are our friends not foes. Shouldn't they reflect on it, please?
Right?

Regards