• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Christians

atanu

Premium Member
Jesus said “Thy will be done”. Then why do most Christians speak of and highlight free will of individuals?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Nice question.

Although your question is specifically directed at Christians, my friend, I might hazard what I believe to be a fairly safe explanation. You see, the idea here is that Jesus is freely choosing to follow his father's will. The story is -- so far as I have been told by a few Christians -- a story that should inspire us all to freely chose to do God's will.

In other words, we have free will, we do not always chose to follow God's will, but we should follow God's will.

atanu

Premium Member
Nice question.

Although your question is specifically directed at Christians, my friend, I might hazard what I believe to be a fairly safe explanation. You see, the idea here is that Jesus is freely choosing to follow his father's will. The story is -- so far as I have been told by a few Christians -- a story that should inspire us all to freely chose to do God's will.

In other words, we have free will, we do not always chose to follow God's will, but we should follow God's will.

Excellent sir. Thank you.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Jesus said “Thy will be done”. Then why do most Christians speak of and highlight free will of individuals?

Free will was supposed to be a gift, and if the first humans had obeyed their Creator, none of us would be in this predicament, having to choose what to believe, and how to live, and who to trust. The consequences of our choices would not have been so dire.

But free will was not totally 'free' in the first place because it required the humans to obey a directive. They had a choice but the penalty for disobeying was so severe that only a fool would have transgressed it......unfortunately a fool did.

That one act of disobedience turned the gift of free will into a curse for the whole human race. When the free will of one person negates the free will of another, that is when it becomes a curse. Men having power over others, enforcing their will on those who are obeying, but not willingly, causes resentment and disharmony....leading to outright abuse as we have seen in past conflicts that have led to bloodshed. The more power you give a man...the more corrupt he becomes. Collectively that is true on a grander scale.

Doing God's will instead of our own is a protection from us reaping what we have sown by mistake. We are less likely to sow harmful things and more likely to sow harmony and love if we consciously try to do the will of God. Jesus makes it all so simple as he was the perfect example of doing the will of his Father. All we have to do is follow his teachings and we will prevent a lot of bad outcomes for ourselves.

That is how I see it.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Here's the context, Jesus speaking:

Matthew 6:7-10 (ERV)
7 “And when you pray, don’t be like the people who don’t know God. They say the same things again and again. They think that if they say it enough, their god will hear them. 8 Don’t be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9 So this is how you should pray:

‘Our Father in heaven,
we pray that your name will always be kept holy.
10 We pray that your kingdom will come—
that what you want will be done here on earth, the same as in heaven.
and so forth.

Moz

Religion. A pox on all their Houses.
Hi
I don't think this a talking about personal will particularly, although the principle can be applied that way. We aren't supposed to subsume our personal will to Gods will but rather mould our desires so that they are naturally in harmony with his will.
This verse in its context is Jesus giving a template for prayer not specifics......Thy kingdom come,Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Here i think he is reminding His followers that Gods Kingdom is what they should be focused on. It was put before praying for food or forgivness.

Oh.. unless of course you are quoting from Jesus personal prayer before his death and then disregard the above.

“He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done” (Matthew 26:42, KJV)

Peace

atanu

Premium Member

Oh.. unless of course you are quoting from Jesus personal prayer before his death and then disregard the above.

“He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done” (Matthew 26:42, KJV)

Peace

Hello and thank you. Yes, this is what I referred to.

Moz

Religion. A pox on all their Houses.
Hello and thank you. Yes, this is what I referred to.
Hi

Sweet. I got half way through the other explanation and then thought oh hang on it might be the other scripture.

This one is really something. Many levels of analysis can be applied here and i think the rabbit hole will get pretty deep. This is a man who does not want to go through the trials he has ahead of him. There are so many things both personal and Universal that are on his mind.

To me, and on the surface level, it shows that even the perfect man, when confronted with the unbearable or the undeserved, can get through it if his faith in God is unwavering. And it does work out well for him in the end.

It also has some deep implications on the crazy trinity idea as well. All in all it is a great subject.

Peace

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
We are free to choose "Thy Will Be Done"

This implies:
1) His will created everything
2) Whatever happens falls under His Will
3) Even Christians highlight own free will

It is free will choice to choose to want that God’s will happens. And in that case God’s will is the same as humans will.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
This is a man who does not want to go through the trials he has ahead of him. There are so many things both personal and Universal that are on his mind.

Indeed.....I imagine that the one thing that bothered him more than anything else was the fact that he was accused and convicted of blasphemy against his beloved God and Father. He already knew that his mission would end in death and that God’s adversary was going to make sure that he suffered as much as possible in the process, but the cup he was about to drink, was unthinkable when his whole ministry was meant to glorify his God.

But Jehovah can take care of his own name, and Jesus’ example keeps us mindful of how the devil can create circumstances that even the perfect son of God found difficult to deal with. Imagine what he can do with imperfect ones...? The same spirit that kept Jesus strong to the end, can strengthen us too.

Reactions: Moz