• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Christians

Danmac

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit = Jesus, who was sinless, had to come to this world full of suffering, and lived in flesh, and suffered as all do, to teach you about God so you could get closer to God by obeying his teachings.

;)

Indeed, but scriptures teach that his death, and the shedding of his blood were necessary to complete the atonement.

Danmac

Bible reference required.

Le 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

Heb 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

1 Peter 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

AllanV

Le 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

Heb 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

1 Peter 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

I find these verses interesting. Blood can be tested now and everything about the person is in the blood. Evidently right down to the eye and hair color.
Some people have had a blood transfusion and experienced a personality change.

Atonement is at one ment and this would mean to make every thing one. I know religion places another meaning on this but it is significant.

As related in the new testament the true believer is meant to have a complete nature change and this will show up in the person.

Don't forget Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. John 3:5

the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. I John 5:8

Frank Merton

I find these verses interesting. Blood can be tested now and everything about the person is in the blood. Evidently right down to the eye and hair color.
That is perhaps true, but don't carry it too far, since it is also true of all of our body's tissues. That is, all of our cells, not just our blood cells, carry a complete copy of our genome.
Some people have had a blood transfusion and experienced a personality change.
Really? I think it might be that a few people had delusions of that sort, but if it were even seriously suspected, blood transfusions would obviously be stopped.

AllanV

That is perhaps true, but don't carry it too far, since it is also true of all of our body's tissues. That is, all of our cells, not just our blood cells, carry a complete copy of our genome.
Really? I think it might be that a few people had delusions of that sort, but if it were even seriously suspected, blood transfusions would obviously be stopped.

The evidence of this is anecdotal but there have been many cases as far as I know.
But think about it if the blood contains everything it could be possible. It could be like taking a hallucinatory drug. The effects do wear off apparently.

The blood travels and could balance the whole body. And the point is perhaps that the blood sacrifice, the blood of Jesus, is significant to the nature change required in a convert to the Way.
A circumcised heart is able to make inner change so that the man can truly Love God. To do God's will from the heart.
Broadcasting Love from a pure mind and out from the pure heart. A radical complete change in the person.

A man recently had a heart transplant and all his habits changed and even his choice of music. In his mind he had taken on some of the traits of the donor. Of course there are skeptics but to me it is possible. But then it is no big deal to me.
To the person enjoying the donated heart and his new freedom it is a big deal though.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Since the founding of the Christian church in the early first millenium, Christianity has splintered into an almost uncountable number of different sects, dialects and beliefs, with wide-ranging ideas on the nature of Christ, the nature of the Church, the authority of the Pope, the means of being saved, the nature of God himself, etc. What I ask of Christians is this: how do you know your sect's beliefs are correct, and others are wrong? Unless you're Roman Catholic (and even that didn't exist until the 3rd-4th century AD with the rise of Constantine), there's no way you can claim that your specific sect was the one Christ himself followed, because most sects arose out of the Protestant Reformation in the 1600s.

So, explain it to me. How do you know your sect is the right one?
The basic premise behind the existance of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is that Jesus Christ organized a Church as part of His ministry, that after His death and the deaths of the Apostles, men changed it (this is basically what you've just said) and that it has been re-established in this day and age.

How do I know that Mormonism is "the right one"? I don't. What does seem clear to me, though, is that an apostasy (a "falling away" from the truth) actually did take place. If that is the case, then either there is no "right one," or else Mormonism's claims are true and it is the re-establishment of ancient Christianity -- from the ground up, with new Apostles appointed by Jesus Christ, the doctrines taught anciently and the re-establishment of communication between Heaven and Earth. Its doctrines (I'm talking it's real, core doctrines, not the stuff anti-Mormon websites are made of) ring true to me. They answer questions no other Christian denomination can, and the answers make sense. It fills in so many of the gaps other Christian denominations seem to just shrug off with, "It's a mystery." It's not my intent to proselytize, and I'm not saying I know I'm right. I'm just trying to explain the appeal of Mormonism to me personally. When it gets right down to it, I fully expect that God is going to be a whole lot easier on us than we sometimes think He's going to be. I honestly cannot imagine Him condemning anybody to an eternity of suffering for having made the wrong choice of religion here on Earth.