• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for believers

What is more important to follow in your opinion

• Sacred text

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • One's conscience

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So, if you believe the Bible and Koran is the word of God, what would you say to someone who says both the Bible and Koran severely go against their conscience and rational mindedness?

Should they follow an ancient text that their conscience screams is wrong, cruel, bigoted, misogynistic, condemning, full of contradictions, and irrational?

If you believe they should follow the text over their conscience, please explain why. Thanks. This is my battle at the moment, whether or not I should listen to my heart or an ancient text. Bear with me! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Conscience is a person's own inner voice which acts as a guide.
I think secred text is more important than one's own opinions (the inner voice which acts as a guide).

On the other hand, if consciousness was a choice, I would pick it. I think wakefulness is most important.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I consider the choice between the two a loaded question. There are to many issues in consideration to answer the question as worded. I may respond in more when I give it some thought, but the question as presented is unanswerable.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I consider the choice between the two a loaded question. There are to many issues in consideration to answer the question as worded. I may respond in more when I give it some thought, but the question as presented is unanswerable.
Thanks...it means a lot

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You need your conscience to correctly interpret scriptures. You can't separate the two.
Ezekiel laid on his left side for 390 days (Ezekiel 4:1-5).
Ezekiel wrote in the time of the exile. The temple had been destroyed, and the people had been banished from their land. God told Ezekiel to communicate this punishment by acting out the wrongdoings of the people. Part of this included lying on his left side for 390 days,
5 Crazy Things Prophets Did in the Old Testament

And what about the prophet who got out of the city by digging through a wall?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Ezekiel laid on his left side for 390 days (Ezekiel 4:1-5).
Ezekiel wrote in the time of the exile. The temple had been destroyed, and the people had been banished from their land. God told Ezekiel to communicate this punishment by acting out the wrongdoings of the people. Part of this included lying on his left side for 390 days,
5 Crazy Things Prophets Did in the Old Testament

And what about the prophet who got out of the city by digging through a wall?

You're asking for me to use my conscience to correctly interpret that piece of scripture?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
OK, let;s go for it.

Sacred scriptures are claimed to be sacred by many different religions, and interpreted to a certain extent be inspired, revealed to the chosen, or directly composed from the 'Source.' Some consider them inspired by the wisdom of the enlightened, or from a 'Source' undefined, as in Buddhism and Taoism.

The open question remains what is sacred is very variable and depends one's worldview.

Human consciousness is so unreliable from the fallible human perspective it is a stretch to consider one's own conscious as the standard of choice as to what is truly and uniquely sacred and true. It is influenced by too many factors such as ones heritage of belief, sense of community, and other anchors of ones cultural orientation make the determination before one claims to chose.

Our conscious is a manifestation of our ego.

Therefore one most step outside ones sence of community and certainty to explore 'What is the Universal?' It is the 'Universal' that is sacred, but beyond the grasp of the fallible human with certainty.

You need another choice; None of the above.

More to follow . . .

Everything is in pencil, therefore I do not know . . .

Last edited:

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I think that they didn't use their consciences to do what they did.

Sure they did. For example, What was Abraham listening to to know he needed to sacrifice his son? So If God is talking to you through your concience and a person "hears his voice and follows it", by following the instructions of God the miracles were able to happen.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sure they did. For example, What was Abraham listening to to know he needed to sacrifice his son? So If God is talking to you through your concience and a person "hears his voice and follows it", by following the instructions of God the miracles were able to happen.
You should probably look up the real definition of conscience.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that the prophets worked their consciouses better than any modern man ever does.

aware of and responding to one's surroundings; awake.
having knowledge of something; aware.
painfully aware of; sensitive to.

Conscience is something different.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I think that the prophets worked their consciouses better than any modern man ever does.

The prophets were fallible humans as we are, and interpreted what they believed in terms of their worldview and culture.

. . . aware of and responding to one's surroundings; awake. having knowledge of something; aware. painfully aware of; sensitive to.

Within the cultural and personal perspective of their worldview.

Conscience is something different.

Please clarify . . .