• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for Atheists

BritCurliQs

Hi :) So, I'm doing an informal religious study and I'm at the point of Atheism. I know what it is and a few general consensus reasons people have for being atheist but I was hoping I could get some personal experiences from some of you. If my choice of words in the following questions offends you, please know that I do not by any means intend to offend, I simply don't know the best way to word all of the questions. Unless anyone objects, some of the answers (or at least paraphrases) may anonymously appear on my blog (which I can't post because I haven't made 15 posts or more, apparently; anyway if your interested it's on blogspot.com and it's called The God Behind the Mask but the address is "whereareyougod" dot blogspot.com; maybe it will work now :D)
If you don't want that but you'd still like to answer my questions, that's completely fine with me :) Just leave a little note and you can have no fear. Either way, I'd love to learn more about you :) So please answer the questions honestly and as specifically as you would like :) Thank you!

Why are you an atheist?
What is your "favorite" aspect of Atheism?
What is your "least favorite" aspect?
If you were to choose a theistic belief (I realize this goes against the logical reasoning of many, but humor me), what would it be and why?
What are your biggest problems with religion in general?
What are your biggest problems with a specific religion (choose any one you like)?
How do people generally react when they discover you are an Atheist (if they are not)?
Do you ever feel pressured/looked down on/disliked by religious groups/people?
What religious groups have you had good experiences with?
What religious groups have you had bad experiences with?
Do you ever doubt your "belief"?
Do you feel that if a god did exist, that your life/the world in general would be better or worse?
Even though you don't believe there is a god, do you "wish" more often than not, that there were one?

I just want to thank everybody that takes the time to read all this and answer. :) Hope you have a good day....errr, night I mean :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why are you an atheist? Because I never believed in gods. I saw no reason to do it, & the concept of gods was really implausible.
What is your "favorite" aspect of Atheism? Liberty.
What is your "least favorite" aspect? None at all.
If you were to choose a theistic belief (I realize this goes against the logical reasoning of many, but humor me), what would it be and why? It wouldn't apply. But old school Buddhism looks very sensible (no gods, just practical).
What are your biggest problems with religion in general? The Middle East conflict portends endless war & economic decline.
What are your biggest problems with a specific religion (choose any one you like)? Jewish relatives keep wanting me to attend bar/bat mitzvahs for their kids.
How do people generally react when they discover you are an Atheist (if they are not)? They range from "meh" to eager for discussion.
Do you ever feel pressured/looked down on/disliked by religious groups/people? Nope.
What religious groups have you had good experiences with? JW, Catholic, Baptist, LDS, Muslim, Hindu, Am Indian, new age, FSM, Unity, Unitarian, & likely others I don't recall.
What religious groups have you had bad experiences with? None.
Do you ever doubt your "belief"? Nope.
Do you feel that if a god did exist, that your life/the world in general would be better or worse? It would be the same.
Even though you don't believe there is a god, do you "wish" more often than not, that there were one? Nope.

I just want to thank everybody that takes the time to read all this and answer. :) Hope you have a good day....errr, night I mean :)
No worries!

linwood

Why are you an atheist?

I enjoy the kitten barbecues

Sleeping in on Sunday

I`ve got nobody to blame for my own mistakes.

If you were to choose a theistic belief (I realize this goes against the logical reasoning of many, but humor me), what would it be and why?

Pastafarianism

I can`t buy beer before noon on Sunday

What are your biggest problems with a specific religion (choose any one you like)?

The pile of Watchtower magazines sitting on my coffee table all those damn Jehovahs witnesses keep leaving behind.

How do people generally react when they discover you are an Atheist (if they are not)?

I get hugs.

Only when I don`t keep passing the plate

All of them

All of them

No and I feel arrogant stating that but it`s probably the only real answer I`m giving here.

Do you feel that if a god did exist, that your life/the world in general would be better or worse?

I don`t think it would be any different

Even though you don't believe there is a god, do you "wish" more often than not, that there were one?

I actually wish Santa was real more often.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why are you an atheist?
I don't see any reason to believe in any of the various god concepts that have been proposed to me.

These questions don't make sense to me. An atheist is someone who is not a theist. It's like being a non-Canadian. If someone were to ask me what my favorite aspect of being a non-Canadian is, I'd say it's such a small part of my life (being a non-Canadian, being someone who isn't a theist), that there are no favorite parts or least favorite parts, because it's simply an umbrella term for something I'm not.

Whichever one can present a reasonable case for why I should be a theist.

What I view as improper methodology.

I view tribalism, violence, unreasonableness, and poor methodology as common disagreements I have with many aspects of religions.

It's not a particularly common occurrence. Or it comes out gradually. It's a non-issue with most people I know.

No. I've come across people online who are hateful, or come across billboards or something that are hateful, but I kind of just feel bad for such people.

None in particular. There was a pagan group at my college that seemed like it was full of nice, accepting people, though.

None in particular. I was raised with a vague amount of Catholicism, which I don't care for at all, but there were no particularly bad experiences besides personal boredom with mass.

It's a lack of belief. I don't believe things without good evidence to believe them.

Depends on what sort of god. Reality exists as it is, so whether there are any gods or not, this is what there is.

No particularly, no.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Why are you an atheist?
Because I don't think gods exist.
What is your "favorite" aspect of atheism?
Being an atheist.
The title. Seems impersonal and doesn't sound cool. "A-thee-ism"...meh. I prefer Illuminatus.
Deism. Maybe a bit more illogical, but still a step up from theism.
Kind of hard to blanket term "religion", but I guess it would be the obsession with faith.
Buddhism allows too much misconception about its terms and origins.
How do people generally react when they discover you are an atheist (if they are not)?
They think it's interesting. They usually wait until the second time they meet me to try and persuade me that a god (usually, a specific god) exists.
Absolutely, but then again I may have started it.
Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, etc.
Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, etc.
Absolutely, but it's never more than a hypothetical.
That's really hard to say. There are too many definitions of "god" and too many moralities they fling around to give a general statement.
Only if they would smite my enemies and give me magical powers. :p

The Neo Nerd

Why are you an atheist?
Because peoples around the world and throughout history have invented gods to explain the world around them. I have yet to see any reason why any god concept is an exclusion to this fact.

I don't really have one.

The lack of social cohesion.

Deism, because it's unprovable.

The manipulative aspects.

Christianity because in Australia they are trying to make laws with regards to their belief.

Unconcern

Nope

Pagans
None so far.

Not any more.

It should be better, lot's better.

Sometimes