• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

question for atheists. would you be a medium in a seance for money?

kloth

if yes, then how much would you charge? keeping in mind you will be taught how to channel in and all that.
the deceased person that would be attempted to make contact with would be a serial killer who followed satanism, if that matters to you.

thanks for your time.

don't forget to leave a rate of charge. :cool:

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I would do it for free/donations. I am about liberating magic for the masses.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No way.

I live in Brazil. I have met channellers far too often.

By no reasonable angle it can be justified as an activity. It is neither useful, nor defensable, nor harmless, nor honest.

kloth

No way.

I live in Brazil. I have met channellers far too often.

By no reasonable angle it can be justified as an activity. It is neither useful, nor defensable, nor harmless, nor honest.

but as an atheist you could just do it for the heck of it. who would you be hurting?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
but as an atheist you could just do it for the heck of it. who would you be hurting?

The people who gave me the money and the people who took me seriously at any level.

I have seen it happen, and ruin whole families, far too often to endure it anymore.

Maybe you are not very familiar with the damage caused by seances and related beliefs. Let me tell you about Kardecism, Chico Xavier and Amauri Pena sometime.

There is no honor and no virtue in channelling.

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
I have not experienced mediumship or know much about it besides what I have studied online. It does seem there would be sensitive and overly acute emotional responses toward any action of what is considered the medium. Thus an initial flaw. I don't know why someone would want to try to channel a serial killer instead of a loved one. But who knows maybe they will come and kill you. Then the world will have a circle less of idiots. Make sure to write a list on current events so he is up to date and a list how to avoid being captured. I'll actually send it to you. Although I'm not a killer I have read enough mystery and horror books I can logically give great instructions. Nor can anyone ever buy me. LuisDantas I am very willing to hear your accounts if you do wish to share.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Presuming that my customers would know that I don't believe in it, & am
merely play acting, I'd charge $150 per hour. And I'd serve refreshments.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
i thought atheists didn't believe in magic. real magic that is.

Though it tends to go hand in hand it is no a requirement. Atheism is just a lack of beleif in god/s. Besides who says I believe in "reall" magic? I'm a chaot.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I wish I could be a lying shyster for money, as I have all the requisite skills and abilities to be great at any of the scams which require cold reading, acting, memorization, and pattern recognition (medium, psychic, etc.). Unfortunately, I have too many scruples to get rich by bilking idiots out of their cash.

kloth

The people who gave me the money and the people who took me seriously at any level.

I have seen it happen, and ruin whole families, far too often to endure it anymore.

Maybe you are not very familiar with the damage caused by seances and related beliefs. Let me tell you about Kardecism, Chico Xavier and Amauri Pena sometime.

There is no honor and no virtue in channelling.
who said the people who gave you the money were serious about it? maybe it's just for fun. they couldn't be too serious if they pay an atheist to do it.

i don't see how you can be an atheist if you believe in seances.

kloth

I have not experienced mediumship or know much about it besides what I have studied online. It does seem there would be sensitive and overly acute emotional responses toward any action of what is considered the medium. Thus an initial flaw. I don't know why someone would want to try to channel a serial killer instead of a loved one. But who knows maybe they will come and kill you. Then the world will have a circle less of idiots. Make sure to write a list on current events so he is up to date and a list how to avoid being captured. I'll actually send it to you. Although I'm not a killer I have read enough mystery and horror books I can logically give great instructions. Nor can anyone ever buy me. LuisDantas I am very willing to hear your accounts if you do wish to share.
i need to figure out how to get you on my ignore list. :beach:

kloth

Though it tends to go hand in hand it is no a requirement. Atheism is just a lack of beleif in god/s. Besides who says I believe in "reall" magic? I'm a chaot.
i always thought atheists didn't believe in any hocus pocus. strictly seeing is believing.
but thanks for the interest.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
who said the people who gave you the money were serious about it? maybe it's just for fun. they couldn't be too serious if they pay an atheist to do it.

Indeed, they usually aren't. That does not stop them from hurting themselves, though.

i don't see how you can be an atheist if you believe in seances.

It is possible, but not what happens in my case.

Or more exactly: I know for a fact that seances exist. I just don't see how or why they should be taken seriously in any way, except as a demonstration of certain people take their own psychological states way too seriously for their own good.

bookwormlady

Owned by 2 cats
Nope, I wouldn't be a medium or hold a seance for any amount of cash. For one thing, I've seen hurting, emotionally drained people taken in by those claiming to have these sorts of "gifts", and I've seen them get hurt even worse. For another thing, I don't think I could keep a straight face. ;)

kloth

Nope, I wouldn't be a medium or hold a seance for any amount of cash. For one thing, I've seen hurting, emotionally drained people taken in by those claiming to have these sorts of "gifts", and I've seen them get hurt even worse. For another thing, I don't think I could keep a straight face. ;)
you could always warn them.