• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for anti-abortionists

Altfish

Veteran Member
This question has been floated in the press in the last few days...

You're in a fertility clinic. Why isn't important. The fire alarm goes off. You run for the exit. As you run down this hallway, you hear a child screaming from behind a door. You throw open the door and find a five-year-old child crying for help.
They're in one corner of the room. In the other corner, you spot a frozen container labeled "1000 Viable Human Embryos." The smoke is rising. You start to choke. You know you can grab one or the other, but not both before you succumb to smoke inhalation and die, saving no one.

Do you ....
A) save the child?
B) save the thousand embryos?

There is no "C." "C" means you all die.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

You're in a fertility clinic. Why isn't important. The fire alarm goes off. You run for the exit. As you run down this hallway, you hear a child screaming from behind a door. You throw open the door and find a five-year-old child crying for help.
They're in one corner of the room. In the other corner, you spot a frozen container labeled "1000 Viable Human Embryos." The smoke is rising. You start to choke. You know you can grab one or the other, but not both before you succumb to smoke inhalation and die, saving no one.

Do you ....
A) save the child?

Well to be fair, if you want to reduce the chance of the clinic burning down, and thus then not having to make the choice of A or B.. Then the best bet is to stop playing with fire. ;)

Last edited:

DavidFirth

It is not wrongly labelled. It does contain what is said on the label on the container.

Still the same answer?

Well, scientists and lab assistants have been wrong before... so yes, same answer. How do I know for sure the container is labeled correctly?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Do you ....
A) save the child?

How about if those are your embryos. One's you helped to create with your "superior' genetics.

And the child looks like this?

images

Altfish

Veteran Member
It is already going to form, the gentleman who originally set the question said in his summary...

"In a decade of arguing with anti-abortion people about the definition of human life, I have never gotten a single straight A or B answer to this question. And I never will.
They will never answer honestly, because we all instinctively understand the right answer is "A." A human child is worth more than a thousand embryos. Or ten thousand. Or a million. Because they are not the same, not morally, not ethically, not biologically"

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Save the child.
Because I value human individuals to different degrees depending on a host of factors.
One would be ability to experience the horrible pain of burning to death. But that's only one of them.
Tom

DavidFirth

Well, answer A is the best also because how can we be sure we can keep said embryos frozen and safe so they won't die? The container is probably made of something that breaks easily and could be dropped or lost trying to get out of the building.

This really isn't hard at all. A is the obvious answer and it has nothing whatever to do with how a person feels about abortion.

DavidFirth

Also, this isn't a choice as to whether to kill an unborn child or not for no reason other than the convenience of the mother. Whoever did this study wasted valuable money and time.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, answer A is the best also because how can we be sure we can keep said embryos frozen and safe so they won't die? The container is probably made of something that breaks easily and could be dropped or lost trying to get out of the building.

This really isn't hard at all. A is the obvious answer and it has nothing whatever to do with how a person feels about abortion.
So what does it have to do with? What are the principles involved?

Altfish

Veteran Member

So why all, "How can I be sure..." excuses.
When a woman with mental trauma goes for an abortion how can you be sure her embryo will survive if it is not aborted?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Also, this isn't a choice as to whether to kill an unborn child or not for no reason other than the convenience of the mother. Whoever did this study wasted valuable money and time.
Let me rephrase this.
How does this question have any relevance to the fundamental question "Do some human beings have the right to choose death for other human beings? "
Tom

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Let me rephrase this.
How does this question have any relevance to the fundamental question "Do some human beings have the right to choose death for other human beings? "
Tom
By calling into question the definition of "human being."

DavidFirth

Let me rephrase this.
Tom

Still not relevant. The correct question is,

"Should a woman have the right to kill the unborn child in her body and therefore prevent a live birth?"
So why all, "How can I be sure..." excuses.
When a woman with mental trauma goes for an abortion how can you be sure her embryo will survive if it is not aborted?

The correct question is how can she be sure it won't? Not being sure a human being is going to live or not is no justification for killing that human being.