• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for all the atheists on here

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If you lift your hand up and put it into the air.You will notice there is nothing inside of the air your hand is touching.So how can everything come from nothing when talking about the milky way galaxy?:confused:And by the way I am not trying to offend you with my question.Just curious is all.:)

Lots of things in the air. We do particle counts. :D
Just need the right equipment to measure a physical presence.

I don't assume something came from nothing. I just accept we don't know where it all came from. The concept of God is only one possible answer. There maybe other answers, other possibilities. Without more information that we can verify it seems arrogant, I suppose, to invest in one possibility when we know so very little.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If you lift your hand up and put it into the air.You will notice there is nothing inside of the air your hand is touching.So how can everything come from nothing when talking about the milky way galaxy?:confused:And by the way I am not trying to offend you with my question.Just curious is all.:)
Well, in my case, you cannot possibly offend me, so you can shoot at will.

By the way, if I move my hand, I can feel the resistance of the air, which a sort of touching. So, I am not sure what your point is.

And the milky way galaxy does not come from nothing. I wonder where you got the idea.

Or is it just the old dilemma: why is there something instead of nothing? I am not an expert of nothing, like the people who usually asks it, but I can try, if you want.

Ciao

- viole

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Why does atheism have to explain anything? What's wrong with not knowing some things?
If we don't explain things and do not give reasons, then we are no better than creationists who claim 'Goddidit'. That is why. If we do not know things, then we are out of debate.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Why can't the US be like everyone else and start using the metric system????
Trump would use Presidential veto. Why have we not changed time decimal ones? Decimal time is beautiful. I even have the names of the divisions. Actually, once I even made a watch like that.
Muhurta for the hour (first decimal) = 1 hr. 24 minutes
Kashtha for minutes (second decimal) = 86.4 seconds
Pala for the seconds (third decimal) = 8.64 seconds
Kshana for the tenth of Pala (fourth decimal) = 0.864 second
Less than Pala is not normally necessary in life. However, if required, Kshana can be used.
Pro: We would not need to write something like 11.23.57.

Last edited:

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
If we don't explain things and do not give reasons, then we are no better than creationists who claim 'Goddidit'. That is why. If we do not know things, then we are out of debate.

Nonsense. The goddidit types are claiming to know something (that their god did something, like create the universe), so they need to provide reasons to take their ideas seriously. Atheism is just being unconvinced by the goddidit arguments - why would it need further justification? Why do you need to justify "I don't know"?

"Not knowing is much more interesting than believing an answer which might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman.

Also, no matter what beliefs you may have, you can't know everything. How many theists can even begin to answer questions like how come their god(s) just happens to exist, rather than different one(s) or none at all?

Audie

Veteran Member
Nonsense. The goddidit types are claiming to know something (that their god did something, like create the universe), so they need to provide reasons to take their ideas seriously. Atheism is just being unconvinced by the goddidit arguments - why would it need further justification? Why do you need to justify "I don't know"?

"Not knowing is much more interesting than believing an answer which might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman.

Also, no matter what beliefs you may have, you can't know everything. How many theists can even begin to answer questions like how come their god(s) just happens to exist, rather than different one(s) or none at all?

I dont know much but I do know that someone
is trying to hijack the thread.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
People in general, including atheists, don't believe in something from nothing.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Nope, Atheism is a religion where one believes God does not exist.

Yes, and I knee every night at my bed and recite the field equations of Einstein and verses from the Darwin’s Origin of Species, or the Pythagorean pairs from the Babylonians Plimpton 322. Our sacred books.

And I lay on the floor and thank God with all my heart. For not existing. The Universe looks much more interesting without that uninvited guy. :)

Ciao

- viole

QuestioningMind

This is of corse, "Atheism has nothing to do with the start of the universe...", what atheists tells other people to sort of lead the origins of the universe away from the atheistic viewpoint.
They hope one will perceive the atheist seperate from "atheist scientific models" on the origins of the universe.
Well, lets be straight forward.
The whole excercise of discussing the origins of the Universe, is an atheist domain where everyting will be done to prove it spontaniously came into existance.
However, the Atheist will not like the Christian claim of, Yes, God made it out of nothing, and we knew it 2 000 years ago!

Nope, they have to give the most silliest explanations on how it came into existance without creation.
Just like Stephen Hawkins claimed that everything spontaniously errupted due to Gravity!
Therefore, even hawkins had to create a creator to create everything. gravity in the place of God.
I loved it when John Lennox said of Stephen's theory:
"Nonsense remains nonsense, even if spoken by a genius!"

This story about a spontanious erruption from monopoles and false bubbles in other bubbles originates from Zeeya Merali who composed her writings by combining different scientists' work.
Create your own universe - Popular Mechanics
The full document can be found here.
Creating a Universe in the Lab? The Idea Is No Joke - The Crux

Now, she took studies from Andraie Linde and Sakai and other theoretical phycisists, and showed us what the scientists nou came up with.
  • We should form a vacum in space.
  • inside this vacum false vacums will appear.
  • Then we must build very large colliders and get a monopole.
  • in this false vacum, the monopole will now increase in size.
  • We dont know how long it will take, but if we sit and wait a long time, it might happen.
  • Oh, but it might fall into itself, therefore we need a cosmic string.
  • Well, if we can get one, this bubble will inflate indefinately.
  • But the funny thing is, it will remain the same size from the outside, but if you are on the inside, it will grow as big as our universe.
  • This Universe will be connected with ours, through a wormholw, and eventually will sever itself.
  • AAAWWWW, but damn, this whole event will happen so fast that we will not even see it happen.
it ends off with the following words:
"Just imagine if we can do this, then we will be god!"

Now, if any person can believe in the above fools fibb, then I can understand why intelligent people believes in other fairytales such as evolution.

Please dont try to tell me Atheism has nothing to do with explanations of the origins of the Universe!
they have attempted to find an alternative to God for 200 years without success.

What a silly argument. If I claim that the universe came about on accident because a magical pixie farted, you are NOT required to come up with an alternate explanation in order to state that you do NOT believe that the universe came about on accident when a magical pixie farted.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, we need to explain our position.
Why do you need to justify "I don't know"?
Not knowing is not atheism. That is agnosticism.
Perhaps I can explain my belief, though not the nitty-gritty. That is something for future. Space creates energy. Energy creates the universe.When the reverse happens, universe folds into 'nothing'. All this according to principle of uncertainty.
People in general, including atheists, don't believe in something from nothing.
Time that people should change their old ideas. :)

Earthtank

English please

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, we need to explain our position.
Not knowing is not atheism. That is agnosticism.

*sigh*

Atheism= not having a belief
Agnosticism = not thinking knowledge is possible.

It is quite possible to be both an atheist and an agnostic. Alternatively, it is possible to be both a theist and an agnostic. It is also possible to be an atheists and not an agnostic or an theist and not an agnostic.

Perhaps I can explain my belief, though not the nitty-gritty. That is something for future. Space creates energy. Energy creates the universe.When the reverse happens, universe folds into 'nothing'. All this according to principle of uncertainty.Time that people should change their old ideas. :)

I agree. One of the old ideas that needs to be changed is that everything must have a cause.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Atheism : disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't think that this is the best meaning for the word atheist. It is too centered on Abrahamic religious concepts. Not all religions have a deity, or God image.
Nope, Atheism is a religion where one believes God does not exist.
This is nonsense.
And it's been explained before many times.

Is it your religious beliefs that blind you to the truth when it's right in front of your nose? Atheism is the lack of a religion.

You have yours, Shinto have theirs, Jews have theirs, Buddhists have theirs, Hindus have theirs, Hellenists have theirs, etc. Etc.
Atheists don't have one.

That's what makes us atheist. Not Having a Religion. Why are so many religionists incapable of grasping this simple fact?

You are welcome to your delusioned opinion, i, as an atheist, am sticking to the definition.
I don't think that is a very good definition of atheist. There are religions, perhaps small and unimportant but still, that don't have a deity.
Atheists don't believe in those either.
Or more precisely, we believe that they exist as fiction. Humans believe a bunch of things that aren't true. My grandpa believed in the little people. Fairies, if you will. Do certain things and they'd help you out. Do other things and they'd mess you up.

Not deities, but a supernatural world view. I don't believe in that either. Because I am an atheist. Or, more precisely, a non-theist. I believe that religion is fiction, deities are just one fairly common aspect of religious beliefs.
Tom

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Well, in my case, you cannot possibly offend me, so you can shoot at will.

By the way, if I move my hand, I can feel the resistance of the air, which a sort of touching. So, I am not sure what your point is.

And the milky way galaxy does not come from nothing. I wonder where you got the idea.

Or is it just the old dilemma: why is there something instead of nothing? I am not an expert of nothing, like the people who usually asks it, but I can try, if you want.

Ciao

- viole

I like people who decide/choose not to be offended, especially because of what someone else says.
Some people seem to think they have no choice in this.
I wish more folks were like you.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Mass of air is interesting to perceive or understand. I'd take a volleyball, pump it right up, and find the mass. Students would write it up in the old scientific method way, predicting the mass of air in the pumped volleyball. Inevitably, they would over-predict ... massively. (Pun intended) Then we'd let the air out, and re-measure. It always proved to them that air has mass, but very few understood just how little that mass was. The triple beam balance was just refined enough to get a measure.

But I could never figure out why they consistently overestimated. Something about falsely relating it to volume I suppose.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't think that this is the best meaning for the word atheist. It is too centered on Abrahamic religious concepts. Not all religions have a deity, or God image.

Yet that is the accepted dictionary definition.