1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Question for all religions on here

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Frank Goad, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Frank Goad

Frank Goad Active Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Religion:
    methodist

2. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,224
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    As a liberal I think the Bible itself lacks consistency on the issue, but considering the evidence that the Bible is a collection of multiple authors over multiple time periods why would we be surprised at the lack of consistency?

• Like Like x 1
  3. shunyadragon

shunyadragon Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,855
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    The Bible is not a history book. It is a collection of writings that have been edited, redacted and compiled by different authors. Most of the books of the Bible are not original compositions, but changed over time by different writers. The importance of the Bible is not in accurate nor consistent texts.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. sun rise

sun rise "Let there be peace and love among all"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,999
    Religion:
    Love
    I see the quote but not the question

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Reverend Bob

The Reverend Bob Fart Machine and Beastmaster

Ratings:
    +1,737
    Religion:
    Non-realist
    What's the question, Frank?

6. Frank Goad

Frank Goad Active Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Religion:
    methodist
    A Need for Consistency

As pointed out in Chapter Four, when Scripture talks about departure of the spirit or soul, we see that the essence of our being stays with the body. Examples given were:

Genesis 35:18 says, "her soul was departing," not "she was departing."

1 Kings 17:21-22 says, "the child's soul came back to him," not "the child came back."

Psalm 146:4 says, "his spirit departs, he returns to the earth." It does not say "he departs, his body returns to the earth."

Luke 8:55 says, "her spirit returned and she awoke," not "she returned and awoke."

Acts 20:10 says, "his soul is still in him," not "he is still in his body."

Psalms 90:10 says when we die we fly away.Not just that our soul flies away.

Also in Job 20:7-9 it says when a man dies he flys away like a dream.Which is similar to Psalms 90:10

I am confused.:confused:

If you look.It sounds like Psalms 90:10 sounds literal.While Job 20:7-9 sounds figurative.

My question is this.Why in all the other passages does it sound like our being stays with the body when we die?But in Psalms 90:10.And Job 20:7-9.It doesn't.:confused:

#6 Frank Goad, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  7. The Reverend Bob

Ratings:
    +1,737
    Religion:
    Non-realist
    You are reading poetry and can't figure out that they are using figurative language?

• Like Like x 1
  8. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,808
    i taste an orange and i tell you what it tastes like. Someone else tastes an orange and they describe it different. You have 3 options. Most get stuck between option 1 and 2. The 3 option is rarely explored.

9. leov

leov Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +305
    Religion:
    christian
    We are souls who have material experience. Life force connects soul to
    physical body and animates physical body, spirit connects soul to higher worlds. Balance of soul/ spirit determines if person is earthly or heavenly tuned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Frank Goad

Frank Goad Active Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Religion:
    methodist
    I think it is weird that in Psalms 90:10 they say we fly away.Instead of just saying our souls fly away.:confused:

11. leov

leov Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +305
    Religion:
    christian
    We are souls.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    Frank...its "life" that flies away. The older we get the more it flies....believe me!

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. The Reverend Bob

Ratings:
    +1,737
    Religion:
    Non-realist
    Frank, it doesn't take a genius to see that it is figurative

14. Frank Goad

Frank Goad Active Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Religion:
    methodist
    A Need for Consistency

As pointed out in Chapter Four, when Scripture talks about departure of the spirit or soul, we see that the essence of our being stays with the body. Examples given were:

Genesis 35:18 says, "her soul was departing," not "she was departing."

1 Kings 17:21-22 says, "the child's soul came back to him," not "the child came back."

Psalm 146:4 says, "his spirit departs, he returns to the earth." It does not say "he departs, his body returns to the earth."

Luke 8:55 says, "her spirit returned and she awoke," not "she returned and awoke."

Acts 20:10 says, "his soul is still in him," not "he is still in his body."

Yeah i know that.But if you read the above list.Never does it say we.The correct translation should be our souls fly away.Not we fly away.Because if you look at Genesis 35:18 it says her soul was departing.Not she was departing.Isn't the she departing part.Like the we part in Psalms 90:10?

15. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    The "soul" is representative of "life" itself. A soul can only live whilst it breathes. Substituting the word "life" for "soul" and "breath for "spirit", in these scriptures tells the story. Why are you confused? There is no immortal soul that is separate from the body. Contrary to popular belief, the soul and the spirit are not the same.
    The Bible does not teach that we have a soul that merely inhabits the body. We are the soul.....which always refers to a living, breathing creature.

16. Diamond

Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Religion:
    New Age (But it's not really considered a religion)
    I disagree, I believe that the soul lives on when we die,it leaves the body. we are all energy and energy doesn't stop it just transforms.

17. Frank Goad

Frank Goad Active Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Religion:
    methodist
    Diamond.Can you reply to my quote right above this?

18. Frank Goad

Frank Goad Active Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Religion:
    methodist
    I think if i get a jw reply(Deeje).And a non jw(Diamond) reply.I can get a better view of both arguments.

19. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    This is a belief that permeates almost all religions, both Christian and non-Christian.....but it finds no support at all in the Bible. The ancient Jews had no belief in an afterlife at all. The only disembodied spirits that the Bible mentions are angels. Faithful angels always materialized in human form to bring their messages to God's servants, but demons had that ability taken away from them after the flood of Noah's day when they abused it. So who are these spirits that pretend to be our dead loved ones?

When you consider that this is basically saying that spiritism is OK because these are just the spirits of dead people, then it must be all right...but is that true?

God's law to Israel was....
    “When you come into the land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominable practices of those nations. 10 There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer 11 or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, 12 for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. And because of these abominations the Lord your God is driving them out before you." (Deuteronomy 18:9-12 ESV)

If all spiritistic practices were forbidden by God, then calling them "abominations" indicates that these things were not just 'bad' but had to be avoided at all costs, because it meant putting oneself under the control of the demons.

Why would God forbid us to inquire of our dead loved ones whom we could freely communicate with in life, but not after death? It was because this is not who we are talking to. Demons masquerade as the dead to promote the first lie that the devil told in Eden...."you surely will not die". Yet God told Adam that they would simply return to the dust. There is no mention of an afterlife or an immortal soul in Genesis or any other Bible book. Satan has lied to mankind from the beginning, making suggestions and offering all manner of deception to gain his converts.....if we fall for them by going against what God says, then we place ourselves in harm's way. We will end up paying for it with our lives, according to the Bible.

20. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,808
    Its like reading poetry written thousands of years ago.